Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:14:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNorth - Roguelite / ARPG
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: North - Roguelite / ARPG  (Read 7691 times)
Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2016, 07:59:29 PM »

Updates

Crafting impactful combat - a breakdown of the techniques used in North to make combat feel like combat.

The road to North - For us it's been about the craft of making games, rather than building a business. Here's how we got to North.

Preview of North's theme song

About

Hey Guys, first devlog, long time lurker. A bit about me over on the intro thread.

North is a 2D sidescrolling action role-playing game inspired by mixing what I like most about FTL and Dark souls.

Gameplay is broken down like FTL. Using a top-down world map, you hunt down the beast, fighting and upgrading your way through randomly generated areas. Every area has its own collection of procedurally generated waypoints. Moving to a new waypoint zooms you into a procedurally generated mini-level.

In the mini-levels I'm striving for a Dark Souls style experience: tense, tactical combat, and stuff that can kill you around every corner. I'm also going to try and mix in some of FTL's non-combat decision-making elements. Things like choosing the free a prisoner, pray at a shrine, choose a side in an ongoing battle, etc.

Concept for forest

In-game screenshot

Set in the frozen highlands, you awake to find yourself battered and bruised amongst the rubble of your family home. Your last memory is of your family being slaughtered by a savage beast. Now you must fight your way through ruthless enemy lands to hunt down the beast and avenge your family.

Look at the enviro, probably too early to show, but wth.

Movement plays a big role in combat, but it will also be key for avoiding traps and environmental obstacles.

Combat is about timing, strategy and reading your opponent. Hacking and slashing won't get you far.

There will be a small number of eq choices, but they will have a big impact on gameplay.

You'll be able to play as the father or mother, each with different pros and cons.

Companions like the wolf will follow you based on how you treat them.

(I really like what Lucas did with the Obra Dinn DevLog so I thot I'd add some of that context below in case people are interested.)

Goals

Adventure Generator
The first goal is to build a game that is basically an adventure generator. FTL was the sci-fi version of that and is one of the best storytelling experiences ever realized. In traditional ways, it is entirely devoid of story, aside from a short paragraph at the beginning of the game it has no "story". But that is what makes it great. It delivers a story like only a game can, one based on the tidbits of hard-won knowledge, tough decision making, the chance to fail, skillful challenges, and random luck -- primarily determined by player choice.

Thoughtful combat, not hack n slash
The second is to deliver a thoughtful and tactical 2D combat experience -- rather than the more traditional 2D button-mashing beat ‘em up. This second goal can all be blamed on Dark Souls Smiley. In short, it’s ruined (in a very good way) all subsequent action role-playing games for me. Its blend of tactical combat and tense, attention demanding level traversal, makes everything else feel like a boring stroll through a shopping mall.  Admittedly, Dark Souls, even just its combat, is a lot to bite off (especially as a primarily one-man effort), so I’m going to focus on melee combat, with a very purposeful set of weapons and gear alternatives.

Normal people, not heroes
The last is to tell a story of average (for the game's setting) people, warrior-farmers, not elite chosen warriors. To me that means a game where not every encounter is best solved with a sword. Sometimes you should run away, sometimes you need to tread lightly rather than charge in. It also means you can be killed easily and that deciding to fight comes with risks that can quickly end your adventure. Lastly, it means dealing with those risks. Wounded in battle, there a good chance you'll bleed to death in a few hours without help. Run out of food and you'll starve unless someone comes along to help. Sleep in the open without a fire and you're likely to get attacked. I'm not trying to make what we currently think of as a survival game, but I will be trying to capture the feeling and struggle of being alone, in enemy lands, fighting to stay alive.

Devlog

This is my first DevLog, and my first game that is really something I'd like to play -- I've done a few mobile games in the past, but those were really just side projects. My goal is to share as much as I can with you guys. Both in terms of the challenges I overcome (so that the next gamedev has it a bit easier), and so I can hear what you think about a direction. If you have any things you'd like me to dive into or aspects of my process that you'd like to learn more about, don't hesitate to ask.

The game is being designed and developed by myself and my wife Sara while spending time in South America. Some good friends will be helping out with sound fx and music.

Platforms

My hope is that the game will get accepted by Steam Greenlight, as everything suggests that Steam is not just the best platform to ship a game, but to connect with gamers like me and those on TIG. At the end of the day, that's what I'm after, building games not for the masses, but rather for gamers like me.

A while back, the concept for North was also submitted to Xbox's ID program. It was accepted and 2 Ton Studios is now part of their ID initiative. I think Xbox is a great platform, but it won't be our primary focus. I just feel Steam is a better home for North. I'd love to hear from other ID devs out there, who might know differently.

My goal is to finish the game by the end of 2016. I spent the last several months building the foundation you see above and feel it gives me something I can confidently build upon -- I guess we'll see thou Smiley.

Unity 3D

I will be building the game in Unity (like everyone else I guess), I've used it for a few games now and although some of its 2D capabilities drive me nuts, I still think it's the best way for an effort of this size to get off the ground.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 11:46:03 AM by Danton » Logged

Unto The End - Wishlist on Steam
voltaicore
Level 0

Audio engineer who also produces eclectic tunes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 09:15:05 PM »

If you need an audio engineer or an audio producer for this project message me.

-Keith
nickgravelyn
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 10:20:47 PM »

Looking really nice. The screenshots/concepts are super nice and the motion in the GIFs is exactly what I'd expect. I think the jump looks a little flat compared to the rest of the fluid motion, but it's definitely a great start. Good luck on the game!
Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 10:56:31 PM »

Looking really nice. The screenshots/concepts are super nice and the motion in the GIFs is exactly what I'd expect. I think the jump looks a little flat compared to the rest of the fluid motion, but it's definitely a great start. Good luck on the game!

Thanks Nick! I agree, Jump is my least favorite as well... trying to make it feel realistic yet agile and responsive enough to be work with gameplay has been tough to nail. But, I'll keep refining it, the feedback is really appreciated.

Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 11:12:24 PM »

Very sweet art style and animations!

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 01:03:08 AM »

Seconded, beautiful art style direction and loving the animations so far.

Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 08:29:02 AM »

Very sweet art style and animations!

Cheers Grhyll Smiley.

Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 08:31:54 AM »

Seconded, beautiful art style direction and loving the animations so far.

Hey HyperDuckChris -- thanks, means a lot! First dev log, didn't really know what people would say Smiley.

I'll keep you guys up to date as often as I can.

washk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 08:44:55 AM »

Really nice art, and combat looks good. The animations are on the right track. I feel they would benefit from a bit of exageration and "slow in/slow out". It's pretty good already.

Look forward to see more.

My twitter @pixelwashk | Devlog
Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 11:38:40 AM »

Really nice art, and combat looks good. The animations are on the right track. I feel they would benefit from a bit of exageration and "slow in/slow out". It's pretty good already.

Look forward to see more.

Thanks for the thots, always appreciated. I'm a self-taught animator and have been at it for about a year now. My primary "teacher" is the work of Richard Williams (his book Animator's Survival Kit) and games which I feel have great animation like Mark of the Ninja.

One thing I've found is that when I too liberally apply the classic "Disney" principles, things feel too bouncy and cartoony. I'm aiming for something between full rotoscope (ala Flashback, Another World) and Mark of the Ninja. Mark is a bit too cartoony for my art style and gameplay -- I'm going for something with the more deliberate pacing of Souls rather than a faster-paced beat 'em up.

Anyways, that's just some context as to how I landed where I did.

I very much want to get better and have come to find animation as the most enjoyable part of game creation. Do you have any suggestions as to how to better strike a balance here? Things I could read, or works I could reference?

Big thanks in advance.

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 01:05:13 PM »

Loved the art-style, following this, good luck!

Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 01:19:18 PM »

Loved the art-style, following this, good luck!

Thanks naezith, very cool of you to say! If you're on twitter I'll also be sharing stuff there @North_2Ton

Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 02:25:56 PM »

A big inspiration for the animation and combat feel in North is the work of Stephen Vyas. He's a better animator than me, and a lot of what he presents would probably be impossible to actually control using current input methods Smiley, but the use of zoning, verticality, multiple opponents, and energy transition that he presents in his combat shorts is what I aspire to every time I sit down to work on combat or its associated animations.

http://animatorsteve.weebly.com/

This one in particular is often top of mind

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 12:50:52 PM »

Stunning!

It's awesome to see that fluid animation is something you are vying strongly for. Gotta admit, great animation adds several layers of quality to a game. There is actually a developer on here who is making a 2-d side-scrolling game, with lucid animations being a focus as well. The game is titled Somerville. Perhaps you could bounce questions/ideas off of him?

I can't wait to see what directions you take with your animations using  such high quality references!

Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 02:23:16 PM »

Stunning!

It's awesome to see that fluid animation is something you are vying strongly for. Gotta admit, great animation adds several layers of quality to a game. There is actually a developer on here who is making a 2-d side-scrolling game, with lucid animations being a focus as well. The game is titled Somerville. Perhaps you could bounce questions/ideas off of him?

I can't wait to see what directions you take with your animations using  such high quality references!

Thanks, yes, very excited. I know Chris Olsen's Sommerville work well, it's insanely good and a real inspiration, I'd be very open to learning from and sharing ideas with him.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 04:23:29 PM by Danton » Logged

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 05:09:41 PM »

Stunning!

I can't wait to see what directions you take with your animations using  such high quality references!

Had the same thought about Somerville - but the color palette and art are different enough between the two that North looks unique enough. Those gifs look nice Smiley

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 05:21:05 PM »

Had the same thought about Somerville - but the color palette and art are different enough between the two that North looks unique enough. Those gifs look nice Smiley

We definitely have some overlap in terms of inspiration Smiley. But, my thot was that North's heavy focus on tactical melee combat, different setting (fantasy vs scifi), and encounter based storytelling (ala FTL's model) would ultimately result in a pretty distinct experience.

Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 11:00:46 PM »

Impact - Stabbing, Fx + Shaking

Getting combat to feel great is hard, here's where I'm at and what I've found to work well.

Please borrow and steal as you see best.

Full disclosure, I learned a bunch from a great Gamasutra post. As far as I know, path-based wounds, stabbing and blood pooling are new techniques.

Camera Shake

Most of the best fighting games use some form to this, basically, it makes any hit feel more impactful.

Before

After

Camera Shift

Games like Soul Calibur made liberal use of this, I suppose shifting the camera in any direction could be made to work, but I found shifting it vertically was the only thing that didn't make people nauseous. In fact, using just vertical shift, without shake can cause a bit of nausea.

Before

After

Hit Reactions

You can go nuts with these. Punch-Out!! Wii is the gold standard here IMO. For an early prototype of North, I tried to replicate the Punch-Out!! model, but it made everything feel too cartoony.

Alternatively, Dark Souls uses the same hit reaction for all normal hits, and then special reactions for things like Backstab or Knockdowns.

I've decided to go with the Dark Souls model for now, and will continue to evaluate as I get further down the road.

Before

After

Special Fx

Mark of the Ninja always comes to mind when I think about great 2D special fx. Their classic sprite sheet, rather than particle effect approach is ultimately where I want to take things. Trying to fit it into North's art style has proven tricky -- we're more angular while Mark is more classic Disney.

For now, I'm using rather basic special effects. I'll dive into these in more detail with a separate entry.

One thing I'm happy with is the decision to add miss fx which are different from hit fx. Below when the enemy misses, his mace smashes the ground, when he hits, blood bursts from the hero.

Before

After

Lastly, I'll call out my most subtle effect, blood droplet "pooling". I spent way too much time on technical approaches (including implementing a physics based blood pool flowing system) to get this to look decent. In the end using a simple particle system, with a collision event on Ground impact was the best.

Slow Motion

Street Fighter is famous for using freeze-frame to increase the impact of a hit as well as allowing an attack to read better. God of War on the other hand, makes liberal use of slow mo. I felt the God of War model better suited my goals. The freeze-frame approach either felt too sticky or too arcadey.

Before

After

Masking

This is something that I was always terrified of tackling. Essentially what I'm after is allowing stabbing weapons to pierce a target's body, rather than simply pass in front or behind.

I thot of two ways to approach this. I took the hard way.

One way, the easier way, is to divide a character into two halves, a set of front and back ordered sprites...

... then I could have all weapons on a middle plane and all attacks would look like they pierced their target.

Option two aka the hard way, is to use masking, specifically the Unity plugin Sprite Mask.

In retrospect, building everything in two half feels like the "right" way, but by the time I thot about weapons stabbing targets, I had already built and animated my hero as well as several enemies. Hopefully the masking approach pays unforseen dividends down the road Smiley.

The goal was to create a composite mask for any target, and then allow any weapon to be dynamically masked by that target when the two overlap (as they do on a hit).

Getting all this to work was a bit of a journey, he's how I approached things.

Note, the below assumes you're using 2D rigs for your hero and enemies. (Things are a lot easier to mask if you're using traditional sprite sheets.) For reference, I use a rig similar to the one detailed by zombiegorilla in this Unity post.

0, I built special masked sprites for the chest and skirt, all other masks (arms, legs, etc) can just use their normal sprite. The pink is just there to show the original sprite size, in-game its transparent.

1, Take your top level sprite or container, for me its Pelvis, and add a Sprite Mask component to it. Set 'Type' = None, 'Inverted' = True, 'Show Mask Graphics' = False. (Only if you are using lit sprites) Under Advanced, 'Force default material on' = True, 'Sprites Shader' = Diffuse.

2, Go through all of your standard sprites (these will not be part of the mask) and add the 'Skip Masking' component. This tells the Sprite Mask at the top of your hierarchy to not include these sprites.

3, Go through your hierarchy and add masks sprites "beside" all of your non-masking sprites. I did this by duplicating the non-masking sprite, then adding the 'Sprite Masking Part' component, and then removing the 'Skip Masking' component.

That should be it for setting up the masks, your actor should look exactly the same as before you added any masking. Now we write a bit of code to dynamically add the attacking weapon to the Sprite Mask and have it masked out.

A bit of context first. I handle collision of weapon to target using box colliders set as triggers (I don't let Unity physics handle any collisions, anywhere, it's too unpredictable when overlaps occur). I manipulate the weapon collider independently of the actual weapon within each attack animation. I do this because Unity makes a mess of colliders when the object is being transformed inside an animation. Basically, the collider gets out of sync with the weapon and gives you very undesirable results.

In addition, I use an another separate object to handle "point of contact", noted as 'Damager' in the image below. This is also manipulated independently in each attack animation and allows me to get the "sweet spot" of an attack when a hit occurs without any math. (Which terrifies me BTW, I used to have a reoccurring nightmare about having to go back to University to retake my math courses :|.)

The code for the dynamic assignment of the attacking weapon is straight forward.

Code:
    void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other)
    {
        if (other.CompareTag ("Weapon"))
        {
            IDamager hitter = (IDamager)other.GetComponentInParent(typeof(IDamager));

if (hitter != null)
            {
                _spriteMask.maskedObjects.Add(hitter.GetActiveWeaponSprite().transform);
                _spriteMask.updateMaskingComponents();
            }
        }
    }

The collider for weapon hits is tagged as "Weapon".

IDamager is a simple interface that is implemented by the Damager_MeleeWeapon and added to the gameobject that owns the collider for weapon hits.

GetActiveWeaponSprite(), simply returns the active weapon used by the attacker. I set the active weapon in each attack animation through the inspector within each attack animation.

The documentation for Spite Mask informs you to call updateMaskingComponents() after adding sprites.

All of this is adding the active weapon to the list of 'Masked Objects (outside this mask hierarchy)'. At runtime when there is a collision the attacking weapon, tagged with "Weapon", is added to this list and masked by the target.

Wounds

When a weapon hits a target, I don't just want it to  feel like it went through the target, but after the hit is done, I want the wound to be visible. I've found this very difficult to get exactly right in 2D, as I can't yet figure out how to exactly detect the intersection point of the weapon relative to the flat 2D sprite. So for now, I cheat.

(I'm not fairly happy with the results here, but they're not perfect. The wounds don't go exactly where the weapon pierces the body. And although it really bums me out, I think I can live with it.)

I use the impact point of an attack, based on that 'Damager' object that I mentioned before and then given the "Path" of the attack (stab, Vertical or Horizontal) I present the appropriate visual at randomly generated location +/- a small amount from the impact point.

Here is GIF of wounds as well as masking, the Bugbear gets a bit of revenge so I can show you the wounds on its back and side Smiley.

Okay, that's it. I have a bunch of things I want to add and refine, but I'm happy with this start. If you have any questions or comments, fire away. Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:53:23 PM by Danton » Logged

Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 09:11:12 AM »

Here's a preview of the theme for North, done by the very talented Johnny Knittle -- a good friend, super happy to be working with him on this project.

Preview - North Theme Song

Danton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2016, 02:27:58 PM »

Set up a Tumblr for North http://north2ton.tumblr.com/

I'll try to add a bit of unique content to the various devlog outlets, rather than just mirror everything everywhere.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic