Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 08:20:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Feedback on how to make my game look more appealing.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Feedback on how to make my game look more appealing.  (Read 614 times)
star-pie
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2016, 04:37:52 PM »

Hey all, I've been working on this little rhythm beat game for a while and am a little burnt out over thinking about how to make this game look appealing. I'm not really an artist and thought it'd be a good idea to get other peoples opinions. It's pretty bare bones but hopefully some of guys can point me in the right direction, and if you're an artist and want to help out(paid) feel free to send me a message!

thx

RandomUser675
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 01:27:32 AM »

hey there,
from first glance, i would combine theese styles:
 - frets on fire (since it's also a good rythmic game, and imo this screenshots, the frets (buttons) look so awesome you just wanna hit them)
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/wFif9OYRCi8/0.jpg

- and ofcorse arcade neon miami feel
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/29/b1/26/29b1266652c25fe9e47f367bf9ec4f06.jpg

what engine are you developing this in ?
Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 06:32:47 AM »

Well from just an image its pretty hard to tell how it looks in motion, but the two things that stand out are the blocks (which I assume move down) and the UI.

The blocks look pretty bland, and since I imagine thats where a lot of the player's focus will be, making them more interesting will help a lot, maybe try none rectangular shapes or leaving a trail, or maybe have them change colour as they fall, with brighter colours closer to the receptacles.

For the UI I'd remove the list of "text: number" things, instead try larger visual descriptions, like I see you have a score and a target score, why not make it a bar of some kind? If that is vital information you should also make it big and very easily readable, so that if during an intense sequence when the player has only a fraction of a second they can still glance up and immediately know how far they've gone, or even be readable with peripheral vision. Other UI elements like the streak counter could stay about the same, except maybe moving it into its own corner, you could also have the "Streak" part small (the player only needs to read it once ever) and then make the number massive and colourful block text, so again it can be read from a glance, as well as be more visually appealing. I don't know what the other two white numbers mean so I don't have any suggestions but I think you get what I'm saying, your graphical overlay should be easier to read, and more exciting.

The only other thing I can think of is animating the wire frame thing in the background, but since I've only seen an image, I don't know if it isn't animated already. For more information on juice this video is pretty useful:

Hand Thumbs Up Right

eh
star-pie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 04:08:38 PM »

hey there,
from first glance, i would combine theese styles:
 - frets on fire (since it's also a good rythmic game, and imo this screenshots, the frets (buttons) look so awesome you just wanna hit them)
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/wFif9OYRCi8/0.jpg

- and ofcorse arcade neon miami feel
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/29/b1/26/29b1266652c25fe9e47f367bf9ec4f06.jpg

what engine are you developing this in ?

It's created in GM and I plan to add a arcade 80s vibe to it!

Well from just an image its pretty hard to tell how it looks in motion, but the two things that stand out are the blocks (which I assume move down) and the UI.

The blocks look pretty bland, and since I imagine thats where a lot of the player's focus will be, making them more interesting will help a lot, maybe try none rectangular shapes or leaving a trail, or maybe have them change colour as they fall, with brighter colours closer to the receptacles.

For the UI I'd remove the list of "text: number" things, instead try larger visual descriptions, like I see you have a score and a target score, why not make it a bar of some kind? If that is vital information you should also make it big and very easily readable, so that if during an intense sequence when the player has only a fraction of a second they can still glance up and immediately know how far they've gone, or even be readable with peripheral vision. Other UI elements like the streak counter could stay about the same, except maybe moving it into its own corner, you could also have the "Streak" part small (the player only needs to read it once ever) and then make the number massive and colourful block text, so again it can be read from a glance, as well as be more visually appealing. I don't know what the other two white numbers mean so I don't have any suggestions but I think you get what I'm saying, your graphical overlay should be easier to read, and more exciting.

The only other thing I can think of is animating the wire frame thing in the background, but since I've only seen an image, I don't know if it isn't animated already. For more information on juice this video is pretty useful:

Hand Thumbs Up Right

These are great idea's and I'll mess around with them, also great video.

Thanks for you help.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic