Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:34:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessBest way to market your mobile game when you suck at marketing?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Best way to market your mobile game when you suck at marketing?  (Read 649 times)
Diejay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 19, 2016, 05:45:56 PM »

Hi, my name's David, I've been making flash games under the banner Melloland Games (link) since 2009 and getting them sponsored on FGL.com. The flash market is steadily going down though so I wanted to publish my next game for mobile (android/ios) and maybe pc too. The thing is, I suck at marketing and getting the word out there. I've read some articles that say you should get a list of hundreds of gaming websites and reviewers and contact them each individually about your game, and I don't want to sound lazy (although to be fair, I am) but it sounds like a huge waste of time, especially if only 1% of them actually take you seriously.

Other than that, I do have some specific questions;

1. Do I need a website dedicated to my game or will a simple page on my website suffice?
2. Are press release services an alternative to contacting countless gaming sites and reviewers by hand?
3. If I just HAVE to contact hundreds of people, I assume I want them to play my game, so should I give them a full version of the game or is a demo enough?
4. Is it better to look for a publisher or distributing the game yourself?

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 07:06:46 PM »

I've done mobile. Over 20k downloads. Not a game though.

There's no "proper channel". As in you can't really buy ads, because they're damn expensive. You have to rely on guerilla marketing as an indie developer. Facebook ads are not too bad, but this requires mainstream appeal.

Find out where gamers hang out. Promote your game directly, "this is my game etc etc etc". You have to build a fan base, rather than look at increasing visibility.

The press works, especially related to mobile. Honestly, most people just browse through the Play/App Store.

Learn some ASO. 50% of my downloads come from direct search. For example, I know that the Play Store relies very heavily on key words. I search for "incremental games" or "strategy rpg". You probably have to integrate your keywords into your title, or description.

1. Just do a simple page. One of those long single page thingies. Nobody really cares beyond screenshots, description, awesome stuff, reviews, team.

4. Publisher will definitely help. Build a reputation for yourself first. I know one friend who dealt with Big Fish games, and he made a lot of money from them despite the very low cut. It also helps to learn their strategy from the inside. Once you have a significant fan base, go free.
Diejay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 08:19:19 AM »

I've heard of Big Fish Games, they sound reliable enough. I'll most likely look for a publisher instead of doing all by myself. My only fear is ending up getting ripped off, as I've never done it before. Especially if it's a share of the revenues. It's less stressful to just sell the publication rights and get one big payment right at the start. Then again if the game makes it big, you won't see a penny after that. So here's another question; what's best when you're looking for a publisher? Upfront payment, share of the revenues, or both? And if you're taking a share, what percentage should be considered "fair"?

RockyKev
Level 0

Marketer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 09:45:24 PM »

1. Do I need a website dedicated to my game or will a simple page on my website suffice?
2. Are press release services an alternative to contacting countless gaming sites and reviewers by hand?
3. If I just HAVE to contact hundreds of people, I assume I want them to play my game, so should I give them a full version of the game or is a demo enough?
4. Is it better to look for a publisher or distributing the game yourself?

1. Is it a killer game? What's your expectation for it?

If it's a game that took a few months, and it's just part of your portfolio (no harm in that), single page. If you invested a lot of resources to make it into the Top 10 - and have plans to do a full-blown marketing campaign, go with the website.

2. Kinda... Most PR services can reach out, but it will cost you a pretty penny.

3. Via itunes, you only have a limited amount of promo codes to give out. http://www.apptamin.com/blog/app-promo-codes/ Ask first.

4. Back to the first question -- is it a killer game? Be honest with yourself. Pitching to publishers is a process itself.

I'm curious on what you're doing. I PM'ed you.
pjgame025
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 04:19:43 AM »

It all depends on what your expectations are, as well as how you define "success." Like mentioned, if this is simply to help your portfolio, I would definitely say just have a long page for the game on your main website. However, this definitely doesn't mean to slouch on the design of the site. Have a nice trailer, quotes from reviews, good screenshots, etc. As far as the press part is concerned: you kind of need to get into contact w/ them in order to disseminate your game. They need you as much as you need them; they produce content, but are relying upon your content to make their content. If you are feeling a bit lazy, maybe only contact 15 or so streamers/reviewers/writers and see what happens. If you are getting positive feedback, then take it from there.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic