Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:24:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit Competition[FINISHED, fixed] STAR CANNON: INVASION FORMATION
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED, fixed] STAR CANNON: INVASION FORMATION  (Read 52991 times)
pgil
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2009, 05:00:08 PM »

Doesn't work for me; all I see is a crosshair on a white screen...  Sad

I have the same problem. I just have some crappy intel integrated graphics...
compound
Level 0

Help

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2009, 06:39:15 PM »

thanks the plays and positive feedback. its great for us to hear that some of you out there are enjoying this Smiley

the newest version is pretty much how the game should be for our entry. the crashing is fixed ( we think ) and it plays pretty okay.

not sure what to do about the graphics problems on older/non-accelerated hardware, i guess pixel mode is causing some problems. you see, the game doesn't translate too well outside of pixel mode, so... Sad

Well, hello there!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 07:35:11 PM by compound » Logged
Mike Lee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2009, 09:10:25 PM »

This is amazingly awesome. Love the smoothness of movement. A radar or at least some arrows pointing towards enemies would be super-helpful though!
compound
Level 0

Help

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2009, 12:45:19 AM »

cheers! we worked so goddamn hard on this thing with little sleep for many nights, its wonderful to hear appreciation for it  Beg

now there was actually a minimap/radar thing in at a point, but then we decided to remove it... and then we added squad icons... and that was that. Concerned

but on the bright side, I just uploaded an update to box.net that adds 1280x1024 and 1280x960 fullscreen/windowed modes. hooray.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2009, 12:48:59 AM »

Is that software rendering or just cleverly tuned-down OpenGL/DirectX made to look like circa 1995 software rendering?

Descent is from 1995 and looks way better O_o

anyway we got a winner, i cannot wait to play it

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2009, 05:12:04 AM »

Hmmm... I really wanted to try this one out, but I'm sorry to say I can't seem to play it. It starts up, but it takes about 5 minutes for the starting menu to even come up, and then once I'm in-game, the image only updates at around 5 minute increments, and then it takes so long to quit, I have to terminate the program manually. My computer's just like, two years old now or so, but I hardly ever have any trouble playing games on it. Usually the only programs I have trouble running are really old.

But anyway, it looks like you really put a lot of effort into it, and those that have been able to play it seem to really like it, so good job anyway. Smiley I'd love to see a video of it at some point.

jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2009, 09:45:55 AM »

Ah, thanks for the fullscreen modes!  I quite like this,. the presentation is smashing, super low-fi pixels and great sounds with ominus music,. is there any way to win, or do they just keep coming missile command style? Is sorta similar to what I did,. great minds eh.  . .

nice work!

http://iterationGAMES.com
http://jph_wacheski.itch.io/
all my itch.io games are now pay-what-you-like Wink
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2009, 09:42:51 PM »

man, this is fucking great. Tears of Joy

I just have one request. inverted mouse. please? even a config value or function key would be fine as i understand the BS behind gui changes and all that. Honestly, i can't play it too long or it'll screw me up... and I MUST play this for too long.

compound
Level 0

Help

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2009, 06:20:32 AM »

@KniteBlargh: that's strange, most recent hardware should be able to run this game... it's just the pixel mode functionality that gives machines problems, something I'm reluctant to remove... I'm curious as to what video card you have? anyways,

@jph wacheski: cheers Smiley, they do just keep coming at you in larger and larger numbers, a decent enough mechanic and one we had time to do... and dropships sure are a great ( lazy? ) way to make practical use of your assets.  Wink

@aeiowu: thank you for your interest in this Smiley.  the newest version has inverted mouse, just hit "i" to toggle it. it also has some additional bug fixes, one being the nifty looking and useful to gameplay surface beam effect which was working then broken on release  Tired
KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2009, 06:36:37 AM »

@KniteBlargh: that's strange, most recent hardware should be able to run this game... it's just the pixel mode functionality that gives machines problems, something I'm reluctant to remove... I'm curious as to what video card you have? anyways,

ATI Radeon XPress 200 Series. Nothing fancy, that's for sure, but I usually don't have issues like this. Shrug

Anyway, what I saw in the video looked awesome!

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2009, 07:41:35 AM »

Same, lags like it's Crysis. Got an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 In this one. I'll try it on my Laptop later. It's much, much beefier.
compound
Level 0

Help

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2009, 09:58:36 AM »

i've taken a few stabs at the drawcode and uploaded it to box.

mostly just taking shots in the dark here in hope that is not an issue of incompatibility but one of me doing something horribly wrong  Crazy
compound
Level 0

Help

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2009, 11:33:44 AM »

hohoho! it would seem i had one pop too many. new upload, mind giving that a shot, 0rel? Shocked
KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2009, 01:25:50 PM »

Sorry man, still doesn't run properly for me.

Fuzz
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2009, 01:31:14 PM »

Whatever I do, it just goes to a blank white screen and makes a beeping noise...
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2009, 01:55:04 PM »

I love it! Great art style, great audio, and it's really fun blasting away. I like the sense of gradually getting overwhelmed as you care less and less about the cities and more about just staying alive.

Interestingly, it feels like you're straddling a tech and design middle ground between Defender and Body Harvest - definitely a good place to be.

Will

[edited for speeling]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 01:19:00 AM by Will Vale » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2009, 12:05:13 AM »

Pretty fun, bloody hard. My cities are leveled in seconds. Those groups of foot soldiers are brutal to buildings. WTF

Beer!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
compound
Level 0

Help

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2009, 11:32:23 AM »

thanks guys for playing and for your feedback Smiley

it's great to hear positive response about the sound, doing the codes and waveforms themselves was a big and rushed job for us to do, and required a great effort from a ringer who had to get all the codes good and running in just a few days Crazy

the difficulty can be pretty variable initially depending on the random locations of the dropships in the sky. some games might be really easy and others really hard. though in the end they all end up at the same difficulty of pretty damn hard.

now for some good news: in the latest update I have a good feeling that I've improved/fixed compatibility for the majority of people out there. if hasn't been working for you, give it a try now... it didn't turn out to be rectangular textures in the lo-fi filter, it was actually a sillier oversight than that, and it took some work to reverse... its something I'll take with me to the grave Embarrassed

EDIT: uploaded a quick update cause i broke the saucer drawcode, re-download from the link if your saucers look funny
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:54:55 PM by compound » Logged
Fuzz
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2009, 03:13:52 PM »

Wow, this game is awesome, but I am terrible at it.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2009, 10:03:15 PM »

You have the best controls of the all games in this competition I think. It's so much fun just to zoom around and shoot that I almost wish I had more time to do it without getting bothered Smiley

The shooting is also fantastic, the sound effects work perfectly and it's just lots and lots of fun to play.

I think that maybe it is a little too hard to protect the cities sometimes, because it's hard to get across the space fast enough and I would have liked some more of a warning at times. Then again, maybe I just need to play more and get better at it Smiley

Really solid entry overall, my friend.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic