Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:50:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionTentacle Uprising [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Tentacle Uprising [FINISHED]  (Read 23977 times)
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2009, 01:23:32 AM »

Gameplay video, as promised...

Fuzz
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2009, 06:29:53 AM »

For some reason, it plays even though it continually says my graphics card isn't good enough. Shrug
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2009, 09:14:41 AM »

Bizarrely slow setup program. In fact, infinitely slow since it's been "finishing installation" for 10 minutes now and I'm aborting it. The game couldn't be run, but at least the uninstaller worked. Pity, looks to be a sweet game.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Fuzz
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2009, 09:16:50 AM »

Bizarrely slow setup program. In fact, infinitely slow since it's been "finishing installation" for 10 minutes now and I'm aborting it. The game couldn't be run, but at least the uninstaller worked. Pity, looks to be a sweet game.
The setup always freezes up when it gets to 100% for me, but I just end the process in Task Manager and then go to the directory where I installed it and it works fine then.
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2009, 09:21:27 AM »

Hmm, it's installing the redists for XNA, DX, .NET, VC during that "finishing installation" step so it'll take some time naturally.  However, I've never seen it take that long.  Huh? Does Task Manager show any disk activity during that time?  Did you try to install it again?  I can provide a redist-free setup file (with the redist setup files installed in the game directory) when I get home.  If anyone else is having any issues please let me know.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2009, 10:15:06 AM »

I can provide a redist-free setup file (with the redist setup files installed in the game directory) when I get home.  If anyone else is having any issues please let me know.

I think that'd be preferable also due to the that at least I don't appreciate applications installing unrelated stuff on my system.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2009, 07:08:32 PM »

I can provide a redist-free setup file (with the redist setup files installed in the game directory) when I get home.  If anyone else is having any issues please let me know.

I think that'd be preferable also due to the that at least I don't appreciate applications installing unrelated stuff on my system.

Well I wouldn't call it unrelated, the game kinda needs the redists or it won't run if theyre not already installed. 

In any case, here is a version of the setup file that doesnt automatically install the dependencies.  Only use this setup file if the one in the threadhead hangs for you. It will place them in the Redist folder in the installation location so that you can manually install them.  Most likely the only ones you dont have already if you haven't run an XNA game are the XNA and .NET 3.5 redists.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:13:21 PM by IceNine » Logged

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2009, 11:25:06 PM »

So one thing I wanted to add before the deadline was an option to invert Y but it totally slipped my mind.  My brother played it and he wasn't used to the tradition flight sim up-down controls and it totally messed him up.  Is that something people are interested in seeing?  It wouldn't be too much trouble to add.

Also, feedback?  Any cool ideas for expanding this in case I decide to do so after the competition?

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2009, 11:42:45 PM »

deffo add invert Y. Please.  Grin
Also, i can't play your game... I get an error

Quote from: Error Dialog
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

I'm running XP on a Bootcamped latestish-version MacBook Pro. I really wanted to, it's one of the ones i've been looking forward to sitting down with.

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2009, 11:50:29 PM »

deffo add invert Y. Please.  Grin
Also, i can't play your game... I get an error

Quote from: Error Dialog
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

I'm running XP on a Bootcamped latestish-version MacBook Pro. I really wanted to, it's one of the ones i've been looking forward to sitting down with.

Eek.  Did you use the version of the setup in the first post with all the proper redists? Are you using the bootcamp video driver or one from nVidia?  Also:

1. Run dxdiag.exe from the commandline/Run window.
2. Click "Save all information"
3. PM me the contents of dxdiag.txt and any other tidbits that might help.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2009, 07:38:19 AM »

Had a similar problem - it took ages to install, but once I clicked the mouse a little (technical!  Durr...?) it decided that my computer had to be shut down. It then proceeded to... well, I'm not sure. It didn't shut down, though. Closed some stuff in the task bar, wrangled a couple of opening programs and then stopped. I'm running a 3 year old XP machine. Weird huh?

Haven't tred the game yet because I have Real Things to do too. Will do tomorrow.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2009, 08:52:32 AM »

Well I wouldn't call it unrelated, the game kinda needs the redists or it won't run if theyre not already installed. 

<Compo-OT_ethics_discussion>
Yeah, they're not unrelated in the sense that they're needed, but external installers are unrelated in that they're outside the application itself and not simply installed into the game folder and if additional installations are made into the system folder they may clutter up the system even after the game is removed. I don't know if your app is like this, but adding stuff to the system without asking for consent is way not cool. That's why adding any amound of stuff to the game folder is OK but to the system folders is not. </>

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2009, 09:46:17 AM »

One little thing ... I can't find a way to quit the game during gameplay except by alt-tabbing and killing the application manually.

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2009, 10:03:04 AM »

One little thing ... I can't find a way to quit the game during gameplay except by alt-tabbing and killing the application manually.

You can press P to pause and then choose quit or you can alt+F4.

<Compo-OT_ethics_discussion>
Yeah, they're not unrelated in the sense that they're needed, but external installers are unrelated in that they're outside the application itself and not simply installed into the game folder and if additional installations are made into the system folder they may clutter up the system even after the game is removed. I don't know if your app is like this, but adding stuff to the system without asking for consent is way not cool. That's why adding any amound of stuff to the game folder is OK but to the system folders is not. </>

I definitely agree with you on that, especially when it comes to stuff like Punkbuster or SecuROM.  However I want to clarify that everything installed is totally reusable outside of my game and may not even get installed if it's already there.  It installs redists for .NET 3.5, DirectX, XNA, and VC.  I have it silently install for user convenience since I assumed people didnt wanna babysit the installation by clicking Yes every minute.  Plus it's easy for people to miss a directory that says INSTALL ME! and then the game just doesnt work, I know I've made that mistake myself.  The flip side is you're sitting there thinking "WTF is this taking so long".  If this is something more people feel strongly about I can change it, honestly I don't have a strong preference either way.

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2009, 09:37:46 AM »

aeiowu, I'm guessing your issue was resolved based on our PMs? 

I guess I'll prescribe the redist free setup for any strange crashes or hangs during installation.

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2009, 11:55:15 AM »

aeiowu, I'm guessing your issue was resolved based on our PMs? 

I guess I'll prescribe the redist free setup for any strange crashes or hangs during installation.

i actually haven't had a chance to get back to it yet. I'm running bootcamp so booting in windows is a bit of a special occasion. Thanks for reminding me though, I'll try and check it out this weekend.

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2009, 11:19:28 PM »

I finally got around up making the invert Y change plus some other stuff.  Sorry I took so long, first I was in Vegas then I got struck with some nasty bronchitis and could hardly breathe much less code.  Still not gone actually.  I updated the link in the first post with the version 1.1 file. 

Changes:
  • You can invert Y with the Y key/Y button on the pad
  • Added my new logo in the Roach Puppy splash screen
  • Reduced the health of the lobster frigates once their guns are down
  • Fixed minor UI alignment bug
  • Reduced the length of a sound with several seconds of silence

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic