Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 04:56:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMoomintroll?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Moomintroll?  (Read 1490 times)
Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2016, 12:29:15 AM »

Well I searched and apparently no one's ever mentioned moomintroll before on this website, and that needs to change. I really wanna know if there are games (not necessarily moomintroll games) which capture the moomintroll vibe, I know there are some very gentle exploration games which do feel quite moomintroll, but I was wondering if people have more suggestions of games with moomintroll like worlds from the early books, or if there are any games which capture the melancholy of the later ones. For anyone reading this with no idea what moomintroll is, it's a book franchise which you really need to read, also there's a weird animated series which kinda captures the feel but is a bit weird and maybe creepy.

eh
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 08:24:07 AM »

I've entertained the idea for a while to start a mumin fangame project.

Basically I've been trying to figure out how to recruit hempuli and prinsessa as key figures, have it snowball from there, walk away and come back when it's done because I'm useless on my own.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 08:31:18 AM »

Anyway to answer your question I think Knytt/Stories hits closest. It's definitely got the vibe down, and the title of the game was actually swiped from the book Vem Ska Trösta Knyttet

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 05:08:29 PM »

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/nanatsukaze/nanatsukaze.htm

grab a dictionary and play this it's soooooo delihghtful

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 06:18:03 PM »

There are a couple of Moomin games, but my guess would be that they're more like the anime (ok) rather than the books (best ever).

A few of the titles that exist. I haven't played any of them and they're probably crappy kids games.

Mumintrollen: Vinter i mumindalen
The Moomin Trolls: Winter in the Moomin Valley

Fest i Mumindalen
Party in the Moomin Valley

Mumin och den stora höstfesten
Moomin and the big Autumn Party

Mumin och De Mystiska Vrålen
Moomin and the Mystical Howls

For actual games I would second Schoq's suggestion, since Knytt captures some of the feel and is openly inspired by the Moomin universe.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 09:58:35 PM »

@MeshGearFox I downloaded it and fucked around with an emulator for an hour, got it working with some glitchy graphics and then got stuck in the first 5 minutes. Also the version I have is in Japanese which and I can't find a translation/haven't seen mention that there is one, so navigating the inventory is an exercise in faith. Anyway from what I've seen in-game and in the screenshots it looks amazing, the backgrounds are great and most of the characters look good, but why must the main character be so goddamn ugly? Well animated but I mean geez. Also plot seems alright too I guess but hey first five minutes.

@Shoq I'll try it but because it doesn't come natively on Mac I can't play it without using a winebox thing, and I've had enough of fucking around with emulation for today. Please do make or at least swindle some other people into making a good Moomin game, I want a moomin game. Hand Money Right (except maybe not  Hand Money Right because copyright I guess)

@Dacke I hadn't heard about those, the first image looks alright but the second one is nightmare material. Also I quickly googled the other ones and they do indeed look pretty shit, except maybe Moomin and the Mystic Howls but I couldn't find much info on it in English.

eh
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 01:27:01 AM »

Never played Moomin games but there are lots of them at least for pc and Nintendo DS. Like already said, they are based on anime which was a huge thing in Finland for children in 90's. Games probably are mostly crap :/

I'd wager that there isn't any games which are based on books even though most of the Moomin merchandise are based on them.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 04:22:12 AM »

I'll try it but because it doesn't come natively on Mac I can't play it without using a wine

The good news is that the game is platinum on wine. All I had to do on Linux was to download the stand-alone version of Knytt Stories, right-click the .exe and open it with Wine.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic