Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:57:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSUPER FUN ADVENTURE OF AWESOME
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: SUPER FUN ADVENTURE OF AWESOME  (Read 14321 times)
HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: January 24, 2016, 12:04:35 PM »

SUPER FUN ADVENTURE OF AWESOME

A game by ME. Britt Brady is doing the art, and Hernán Marandino is on audio (sfx + music combo).

Open world, non-linear gameplay. Puzzle adventure, and although it may look like a platformer, it's not![/size]

GAMEPLAY
This goes as one would expect. Puzzles. Puzzles everywhere. Both mechanical puzzles (Rotation, Hookshot, Items, etc) and deep meta stuff (Think Myst, Fez, etc). Also, lots of silly humor and dumb puns. No combat!

MECHANICS
Most puzzles are based on mechanics within the game. The player is able to walk on every surface and the camera flips to match his angle. He/She will also have access to a variety of items to help overcome obstacles.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:26:00 AM by HopFrog » Logged

SalmanShh
Level 0

@Salman_Shh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 12:35:40 PM »

Gentleman i tip my hat to zef  Gentleman Gentleman Gentleman

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 01:44:22 PM »

Doing some level design right now.

The white things are clouds, they take random shapes, sizes and angles on runtime  Coffee

lobstersteve
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 02:17:25 PM »

Yes! Smiley Looks super cool.
Do you have already some more complicated puzzle mechanics in mind, other then those in the GIFs / do you have enough ideas how to make more complex puzzles with the mechanics you already have (rotating, crates, hookshot...)?
HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 02:20:01 PM »

Absolutely! I have a good deal of puzzles designed on paper already. Not close to being implemented yet (since I just can't show that in gifs, and at this point I am trying to make clear visual progress). In fact, the original LD34 prototype had some intricate puzzles that only a couple of folks managed to solve (although everyone gives up before getting to them due to how buggy the game is lol).

I will definitely have some of this on the March playable version!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:31:32 PM by HopFrog » Logged

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 02:37:26 PM »

ooh man that gameplay looks neat. those mechanics will make for some radical levels

NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 02:42:03 PM »

Zef...zef...now where have I heard that bef...oh yeah!

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 02:50:18 PM »

Holy cow, that was weird  Shocked

NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 03:10:44 PM »

From what I gather (and I could be wrong)zef is south african slang for 'cool'

Your game is looking pretty zef HopFrog...(starts dancing in boxers)

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 03:30:20 PM »

I am honestly stunned by the amount of depth the word "Zef" has. Everyday someone tells me a new meaning! Thanks and cheers  Coffee

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 01:52:50 AM »

why didn't i come up with this

Are those tiles ripped straight from Fez too? They're way too similar, anyway. Tongue Would like to see the game acquire a style of its own, because it looks like fun and I would hate for it just to be a "joke on Fez" in the end (and it's also a dirty trick to score extra marketing points IMO) — I'd genuinely enjoy playing this, I think.

lobstersteve
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 02:00:01 AM »

One last thing i would like to add regarding the game is, that i get a ..

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 08:26:05 AM »

Tiles were inspired by Fez for sure, the whole game feel is. Nothing is ripped or clonned.

These are Fez's tiles down below:

And these are the ones I made for this game:

We don't actually share colours, except for one of the greens in the shades of grass I think?

Anywho, I think I managed to get people to confuse this as ripping Fez because I used bright colours and tons of highlight. If you see my images, I very clearly identify the highlights and shadows of the pixel art.

I am very much looking forward to divorce my game from Fez soon. The exposure was nice, but I don't want this to end up like a joke or a fan game. Better come up with a new game name!  Shocked

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 08:36:52 AM »

lol just noticed that zef was fez reversed... Die antwoord was too impactful.

good luck on divorcing your game from fez (the problem is that you're using the exact same atmosphere). And good luck on keeping your enthusiasm strong for a long time.
There's a lot of game that started with a big spark of motivation that ends up disappearing.

ThilDuncan
Level 0

Indie Developer at Ghost Town Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 09:06:54 AM »

I saw a gif of this game on twitter, looks really interesting! and who doesn't love a hookshot :D

I am very much looking forward to divorce my game from Fez soon.

Got any plans for how you're going to achieve this?

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 09:57:09 AM »

I do have a plan but honestly, I may be relying too much on people playing this and noticing how different these games are.

It is actually hard to explain, but if you play my LD34 entry you can tell already that the games I make are very invested in terms of mechanics. I don't like the fact that the puzzles in Fez, for instance, resolve around platforming skill or just randomly switching perspective until you can continue advancing. Where Phil's game is more about exploration and the "homework" type of puzzle solving (alphabets, QR codes, ridiculously hidden secrets, you name it!), mine is more like playing any old Zelda game.

Not that I don't plan to have some "homework" type of stuff in here too, but it's clearly distanced from the core gameplay. If my mom were to pick up the game she would find herself with a more Braid-esque experience, where I introduce mechanics slowly and she gets to solve puzzles around them, in enclosed areas and with every element available clearly distinguished. (Think of Zelda dungeons!)
Now, if a "hardcore" puzzle solver gets his hands on the project, well, let's just say two people out of hundred plays found the hidden red diamonds in my original Ludum Dare entry; and when they mentioned their existence, other players didn't even notice they were a thing!

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 11:22:30 AM »

I figured what this game needs! Racist haters sending me death threats!

Canned Turkey
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 12:03:14 PM »

This game is great.
Noid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 05:24:09 PM »

so the game's name is Fez.
for now anyway.
we actually have a super secret working title but it would give too much away.
so lets just call it Fez. also a working title.
You should change it as soon as possible. Working titles tend to stick, especially when you develop in such an open fashion. Big studios may call something "project whatever" and probably have someone that will pick a proper name based on SEO, focus groups or some other info.
If you keep the name Zef and the game becomes popular it'll be really hard to pick a new name and get everyone to accept it, and you'll have to rebuild brand awareness and search results.
So if you want to divorce your game from Fez start by changing the name as soon as possible.

Regarding the art style, it does look similar. The main character has similar colors, and the environment has similar colors and similar designs. Now, if you show a background from The Witcher 3, DOA:I and Skyrim to someone who has never played any of those games they may not realize they're from different games until they look carefully. However, with games that don't go for a realistic or semi-realistic look, art styles can be pretty unique, as it is the case with Fez. So, if you want to keep the current art style go ahead, I think it looks really nice, but you'll have to tolerate the people who think the game is a clone until they actually play it.

PS: I saw some earlier pictures you posted on facebook asking about the camera and I think it works great know. It doesn't make you feel dizzy anymore. I'm playing the LD34 version and it's really cool.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:29:23 PM by Noid » Logged

HopFrog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 08:30:17 AM »

Oh yay! That's really useful feedback! Thanks a lot!

Y me encantó Pichón por cierto  Beer!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic