Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:51:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioProcedural Audio in Unity 5 ??
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Procedural Audio in Unity 5 ??  (Read 2690 times)
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2016, 12:54:29 PM »

Is it possible??
How??

I've been researching and fumbling around with programs I have no clue about for 40+ hours now.
Unity by itself doesn't seem to provide enough tools for creating audio at runtime.
From what I found out, there have been projects to integrate pure data into unity - that's a great idea. However, I want to deploy my unity project to android and haven't found any functional pure data integration for that.

It's a long shot but maybe some of u guys have experience with this?? It doesn't have to be pure data. Any tool to make use of procedurally generated sounds in my unity project would be awesome (as long as it allows me to built the project to android eventually). Thanks in advance!
Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 10:27:54 AM »

Personally, I like to use FMOD to handle procedural audio. For example, I'll have gun blast sounds generated at runtime by FMOD, which takes random selections of predetermined sound components and applying pitch and volume randomizers to them. There's a lot of randomness you can determine in there, which is neat.

FMOD is an audio engine that works as a plugin within Unity (among other game engines). Outside Unity, you'll be preparing your audio in a standalone program. It's fairly straightforward once you get used to it and, in my experience, the learning curve isn't too steep. Check out the setup video and you should be good to go!

FMOD builds to most if not all current platforms--Android is certainly among the available target platforms. Using FMOD is free, but publishing a game with FMOD as its audio engine isn't free per se--check out their terms for that. The terms are reasonable, just make sure you've read them.

Download page; Unity integration documentation page.

P.S. Maybe FMOD is one of the programs you've fumbled around with cluelessly, in which case I'm sorry. Quite some of us here know a thing or two about FMOD or related tools though, so we might be able to give advice.

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 11:33:54 AM »

Thanks for your suggestion Barendhoff! I haven't tried FMOD yet. Although I have played around with Wwise which I guess provides similar options. Anyway I'm not looking for a program to put effects on pre rendered soundfiles at runtime. I'm looking for a way to synthesize sounds from 0. I know it's possible to add Plugins to Wwise - but I had a lot of technical troubles with costum build plugins (the native plugins weren't what I was looking for). Does FMOD offer integration of additional Plugins? Or does it allow to synthesize sounds? I guess I'll have a second look at FMOD.
TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:05:53 PM »

Thanks for your suggestion Barendhoff! I haven't tried FMOD yet. Although I have played around with Wwise which I guess provides similar options. Anyway I'm not looking for a program to put effects on pre rendered soundfiles at runtime. I'm looking for a way to synthesize sounds from 0. I know it's possible to add Plugins to Wwise - but I had a lot of technical troubles with costum build plugins (the native plugins weren't what I was looking for). Does FMOD offer integration of additional Plugins? Or does it allow to synthesize sounds? I guess I'll have a second look at FMOD.

Wwise has Synth One built into it now, along with the Soundseed stuff, so in theory there is some flexibility available for realtime synthesis. I couldn't tell you the extent of what it could do, though, I've never used it myself. Also I think you need a specific license to be able to use SoundSeed plugins in a commercial release.

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 12:18:43 PM »

Haven't used it but seeing you post made me wonder if sfxr for unity is a thing and apparently it is: https://github.com/zeh/usfxr

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic