Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:16:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeRoastDome 'post your game, get roasted, leave tougher'
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RoastDome 'post your game, get roasted, leave tougher'  (Read 1138 times)
NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2016, 01:38:17 PM »

Evil Okay people time to get mean so leave your feelings at the door.  Evil

This is all inspired by the good time had in this thread fyi... https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=44647.0

Seems like most feedback on devlogs and elsewhere is amounting to little more than "I dig your game because of X"...don't get me wrong stuff like that is awesome, can really make a dev's day and give them some much needed encouragement.

However...I think people are holding back negative criticism (I'm guilty of this myself) for whatever reason and I believe the negatives can hold real value and holding them back can be a disservice. 
"I see something I think this guy should know about his game but I don't want to sound like an ass on his devlog so..."
the dev them self may start to wonder "Yeah I'm getting a bit of good words but I wonder what people aren't saying..."

So for feedback, fun and preparation for a merciless world outside of these forums we're gonna have a little exercise in skin thickening and rip each-others beloved creations apart.

HOW TO PARTICIPATE

Hand Point Right READ THE ALL OF THE RULES BELOW!  Hand Point Left

If you would like your game roasted please post here with a link to your devlog, concept, pictures, outside link or what ever.  Ask for either CONSTRUCTIVE, DESTRUCTIVE or both.

Constructive criticism is things like "I think your game's pace is to fast" or "The graphics are really clashing and it's distracting" or "This has been done to death at this point, I hope you aren't looking to monetize much".  Basically things that you believe the dev needs to hear and can glean something positive from, however blunt your criticism may be.

Destructive criticism is people being mean to be mean like "Fucking Christ...another pixel platformer  Facepalm" or "I hate tomatoes! Why the shit do you have so many tomatoes!".  Basically the random, nonsensical or just plain mean shit we all are bound to encounter when stepping out of here into the endless sea of bias critics and unrelenting trolls.  The idea is to prepare participants for what is bound to come when stepping out into the world/web when promoting our creations.

Any and all who read this are encouraged to do those brave enough to stick their creation's neck out a favor and roast them good.

At any time those being roasted can call for an end to the torment and the roasters are obliged to stop immediately should this be the case.

RULES FOR ALL INVOLVED

1. Abide by forum rules.  This site is someone else's baby and they have rules that over-rule anything you read on this thread...respect that.

2. Please please PLEASE do not participate if you think your feelings might be hurt to much.  In an odd contradiction this is at the same time what we're going for and what we're not.  We're trying to make stronger comrades not bitter enemies if that makes sense.

3. No niceties.  If you have something positive to say about a project or feel that a bit of kind words are in order to counter what was said here then please put it within their devlog where it can do greater good.

4. No politics.  The mother of all thread de-railers can be discussed literally anywhere else so if your opinion stems from political leanings at least make an effort to keep that shit as non-inflamatory as possible. 
"This is clearly a pathetic male power fantasy." BAD
"Your hero is absurdly muscular to the point of hilarity." GOOD
"This is clearly pandering to an overly sensitized, watered down female agenda." BAD
"This isn't exactly groundbreaking and I'm seeing you aren't taking any bold chances" GOOD

RULES FOR ROASTERS

1. Do NOT drag anyone into this thread if they didn't request it WITHIN this thread, that's beyond shitty and you know it.

2. Clearly define which criticism is constructive and which is destructive.

3. Only provide the type of criticism requested.  Did they ask for constructive only?...then you had better well stick to constructive only and vice-versa.

4. If someone calls for it to stop then STOP.  If you posted without noticing the call for mercy or they ninja'd it in while you were posting then at least edit what was put down.

5. Do NOT attack the person, attack their game/devlog.
"Why the hell did you think this was a good idea?" BAD
"All in all this isn't a good idea." OUCH...BUT ACCEPTABLE
"No one is going to see this as a good idea" KINDA BORDERLINE...

RULES FOR ROASTEES

1. No justifications.  What you post is what will be dissected, if it's half done then it will be judged in it's current state...same with placeholder art, broken physics etc.  What you see is what you get basically.

2. No rebuttals.  You knew what you were getting into putting your game up to the chopping block...do not defend it.  If you want to be humorous then that's okay but no serious explanations against what people have said.

3. No grudges.  It's hard to put a tone to text on the internet and most are going to be intentionally mean here so remember why you posted here (also remember that please don't if your feelings get hurt...yeah).

Okay whew...that was quite a wall of text.

Let's do this.  Beer!

NoLocality
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 01:41:11 PM »

Seeing as I'm starting this I get to go first  Grin

I present my game to be toasted to a crisp https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=51748.0

Evil Destructive and constructive requested so have at it and hold nothing back you animals. Evil

Canned Turkey
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 04:15:31 PM »

Your game looks like total shit.
the character isn't even a part of the gameworld, it's just an overlay on the screen?
Lame cave story ripoff.

Also, my two projects indev:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=46452.0
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=51134

Be as brutal as you want, it's not like your criticism is going to be any better than your attempt at a game.
Oooooh! Burn.
NoLocality
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 05:24:54 PM »

Alright for those who actually read the rules...(eye's Canned Turkey scowlingly)...this is all that destructive fun stuff.

You jive turkey you.

Be as brutal as you want

(inhales deeply...)
Planet Toad: Intergalactic Jumping Extraordinaire...I know I've seen that somewhere before...oh yeah!  That was the first and most prominent victim of steam's refund policy.  I remember reading that article, planet hopping fun, income for the dev and such...then boom! Refunds are introduced and literally every owner of that game wanted one...good God man if you're going to emulate someone make sure they aren't this industry's latest victim of Darwinian theory.

Honestly I thought I was gonna hear about shitty MS paint graphics when my game was under fire...then I saw Francis and the Quest for the Five Magic Space Balls and it all became clear.
(exhales explosively...drops mic)

This is gonna be a fun thread.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 08:45:36 PM »

Your "destructive criticism" sucks so much I can't tell if you're just bad at telling jokes, or if the jokes find you so awkward that they can't just say they're not your friends.

Okay that's really mean I'm sorry I love you and your game
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 12:29:13 AM »

Oh, come on, Canned. Don't ruin the concept on the first page. I'd love a thread like this that actually works (according to the rules set up by OP) because it can actually be useful.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 11:08:03 AM »

Sorry  Embarrassed
NoLocality
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 11:37:42 AM »

Okay that's really mean I'm sorry I love you and your game
It's all good, I feel the same.  For all my smack talk I actually dig what I see in your devlogs and Quest for space Balls has a great look to it...think I'll practice what I preach and say so in your devlog instead of here.

Oh, come on, Canned. Don't ruin the concept on the first page. I'd love a thread like this that actually works (according to the rules set up by OP) because it can actually be useful.

I'm not giving up the original Idea just yet but honestly this has great potential to derail into us just clowning around with each other, which I'm not entiiiirely against but...there's value in a place for people to come for calm honest criticism as well as value in a place where people basically dis-rap eachother's games.

The calm constructive criticism may need it's own thread but I'm not giving up on having some of that here just yet.

Okay so the previous smack talk was "Destructive" criticism.

Here's some "Constructive" criticism for what you put forward Turkey.

As for Francis and the Quest for the Five Magic Space Balls I haven't much to say that isn't actually nice and encouraging...so I'm gonna take that to your devlog where the positive feedback does the most good (instead of here where niceties are discouraged).

As for Planet Toad: Intergalactic Jumping Extraordinaire I do have an observation which would look horrible in your log or just awkward in a PM but may hold value for you to hear.  This thread is the perfect place for this kinda harsh truth-talk though and you we're brave enough to put it forward.

There was a bit of truth behind my harsh comparison between Planet Toad and that other planet hopper.  I'm not sure if you are content to either make a little bit of change off this game, maybe you're shooting for that big pot of gold full of dirty dirty indie money or maybe you are just happily making games to make them and enjoy what comes of it.

To put it bluntly I'm not seeing a lot of love for planet hoppers on some of the bigger markets out there and I'm seeing quite a few springing up lately...I'm not sure about mobile type markets tbh and for all I know that's what you're going for.

Take from this what you will, I felt it needed to be said.

So that's the difference between Destructive and Constructive...both are welcome here when asked for and kindly take the positive criticisms to their respective devlogs.

This may yet work ...it may be that a new thread is needed for calm discussions, I'm fine however it turns out but prefer to see it work itself out naturally (i.e. if people come here only for clowning around then likely a new thread is needed).

I'm gonna toss some positives at Canned Turkey on his devlog as I now know his projects exist and then I'm staying away from forums and my own game for the day (Monday is my day off from the grind and everything associated with game-dev).

Hot damn I can be a long winded one...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic