Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:29:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[PC] Liches Rework [Card Game with RPG elements] (free dl prototype)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [PC] Liches Rework [Card Game with RPG elements] (free dl prototype)  (Read 1566 times)
SageOne
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2016, 10:04:37 PM »

In this enclosed society, where every sorcerer strives for power there are times, when a leader must be chosen. Surely the leader must be the strongest! We call the candidates Liches and you are one of them.

Liches is a two-player turn-based hot-seat card game. A player is located on each side of the screen along with his main resources: Health, Attack, Defence and Mana. There is a game library to see, which effects a certain card offers, but all the cards are available from the start. However you're not able to create decks, instead, the game generates them randomly from all the cards for each player (this was done for two reasons: it was more simple to code, and it may spell a bigger replayability, since all the cards are involved, not only the ones you choose). A deck has 20 cards. At the beginning of a turn 4 cards are drawn from a player's deck into the batlefield, he can play any cards, as long as he has the mana. Mana is increased by 1 at the beginning of your turn to a maximum of 10. The cards change your basic resources in some way. After a 30-second turn players deal damage to each-other, depending on their ATK and DEF values. If a player's HP drops to 0 or if he has no cards left (both in the deck or on board), he loses the game.

Some in-game screenshots:

I've started the project to see, what I can do with a simple concept. It never intended to be big, but I want to make a good quality game nonetheless. The game is being developed in Game Maker Studio since the end of December 2015 and is nearing its release-stage.

Here're some progress images:

This is how the game looked like at the previous stages of development

Redrawing the original tokens, due to negative feedback on vertical text being unreadable

Currently I am working on polishing the game visuals to bring a more understandable gameplay experience. For this I'll remove some of the text information and change it into icons, add some visual effects for better player feedback (like magic missiles at the end of the turn to show that the Liches are actually attacking each-other, etc.).

Mockup of the new player stats submenu

Finally to see what's already done you can watch this video (the playlist it's in is also a devlog):

Any and all feedback is appreciated, however I don't plan on adding AI or network multiplayer (because I never intended it and because I've no idea, how to do it Wink).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:16:43 AM by SageOne » Logged

Canned Turkey
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 10:09:44 PM »

You've only been working on this for a month?!?!?
As a developer I envy your speed.

The gameplay and art both look super solid  Hand Thumbs Up Right
SageOne
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 10:52:47 AM »

The gameplay and art both look super solid  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thank you!

- implemented visualisation for main player resources;
- HP cap raised to 25 (starting HP is still 20, but you can overheal to 25);
- started adding some more cards to play!

SageOne
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 01:22:14 AM »

The game is now complete and released!
You can download it on itch.io: http://sageone.itch.io/liches

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 03:35:38 AM »

I really liked the simplistic but beautiful UI and especially the animations!

But... I didn't figure out how to play it properly. A single button menu where you have to use the mouse wheel to change what a click on that button will do. That's just too alien for my intution to figure out! (I only found that out because I knew from your twitter that those features need to be in there somewhere...)

SageOne
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 04:57:49 AM »

I really liked the simplistic but beautiful UI and especially the animations!

But... I didn't figure out how to play it properly. A single button menu where you have to use the mouse wheel to change what a click on that button will do. That's just too alien for my intution to figure out! (I only found that out because I knew from your twitter that those features need to be in there somewhere...)

thanks for playing! I really thought that the controls would be intuitive: mouse wheel (or a+d/arrows) to cycle through menus(pages), lmb for actions, gonna need a tutorial for that i guess Smiley

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 06:03:33 AM »

thanks for playing! I really thought that the controls would be intuitive: mouse wheel (or a+d/arrows) to cycle through menus(pages), lmb for actions, gonna need a tutorial for that i guess Smiley

After spending so much time with a game we, the devs, usually lose all ability to see our game from an outsiders perspective. From my experience it's invaluable (but very painful) to put your game infront of a friend or familymember who's never seen it before and just watch them interacting with it, not commententing or helping in anyway.

You'll want to shout at them and shake them for being "too stupid" to figure out all those things that you thought would be crystal clear. Wink

SageOne
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 11:12:13 AM »

Hey, guys, there's a new version with slight improvements over the public test build over on: http://sageone.itch.io/liches

• added some tips about controls at the loadscreen
  • other slight code modifications

SageOne
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 11:13:05 AM »

Hello, everyone. I'm happy to announce, that development is on again for Liches.
I've been thinking a lot about gameplay and UI/UX improvements for the game and have decided to return and redo/update some stuff. Also I've done tons of research and various prototypes since the release of Liches so that's gonna be helpful.

I don't know if this is going to be an update or a rework from the ground up, we'll see. Timewise development is going to go way slower, since i have a full-time job and stuff now, but i really want to do this game right Shrug

Starting with the board mockup for now:

Something i want to do in the near future: increase the size of cards, since they are the focus of the game. Also i have implemented some disability design decisions (rarity is displayed above the card type with a glyph, i'm searching for some neutral colors, etc.), but i'd like to expand on them and that calls for more card surface.
The main menu will be completely redone. As an example of UI/UX to come you can see a different project i've made called UP2-3.

Lastly, i would really appreciate any thoughts or feedback from you guys. Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:23:21 AM by SageOne » Logged

SageOne
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 12:47:46 PM »

Cards are now bigger to allow more freedom in card text. Rarities can now be distinguished by color and by the glyphs at the bottom of the card (the little boxes with rectangles).

Cards updated (placeholder text):

SageOne
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 06:49:55 AM »

The lore provides context for the battles in the game. Today the macro-level of the Liches world is explained.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic