Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 10:58:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)some of my Pixelart
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: some of my Pixelart  (Read 919 times)
monsterfinger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2016, 12:37:42 AM »

Hi,

Been working hard on Pixel art for a while, mostly I work with 16x16 or 32x32, would be good to get some comments on my work and also ways I could improve too.

flyingmangoes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 11:54:03 AM »

Hey Monsterfinger, your pixel work is looking pretty good, but there are a couple things I think you could do to really improve it.

It looks like you're focusing a lot on these small scale sprites, and they look pretty good so far.  I'd personally try using a palette, or sampling some different colors, since your current colors don't really distinguish the sprites.  Those dirt tiles on your last image are brown and murky, and make your entire image seems kind of dull.

I'd also suggest that you work with proportions and shading.  It seems your sprites need to have more human characteristics, and a distinguished light source.

Good luck!  It seems you have a good start so far!  Smiley
monsterfinger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 02:33:25 AM »

Hi Flyingmangoes,

thank you for your comments, glad you think they are a good start Smiley I use small sprites currently as I want to really get good at small ones before I move to larger ones. Regarding pallet choice do you mean I need more of a contrast between the colours? Could you give me any examples of what you would change on the current sprites?

I thought on 16x16 you do sort of a half and half shading to keep things simple, I've been learning everything from this actually.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG0tvJ_jRDIVqRSjelh_uyuZpREN-T4ZF

however open to any ideas on new videos to watch.
flyingmangoes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 07:05:46 AM »

Half and half shading works, but there's a lot of other things you could do, such as dithering, or traditional shading (one source of light, and highlights and shadows).

Regarding colors, I think more contrast would look good.  Your gun on that more detailed sprite looks great, and kind of pops.  You may want to try giving the entire sprite that pop with some color or lighter shades.  From experience, contrast looks really weird when you first use it, but it can make some great sprites.

To find palettes, just look up "pixel art palettes," and there should be a bunch to look from (I personally use the NES palette).

Good luck!
monsterfinger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 04:14:02 AM »

Half and half shading works, but there's a lot of other things you could do, such as dithering, or traditional shading (one source of light, and highlights and shadows).

Regarding colors, I think more contrast would look good.  Your gun on that more detailed sprite looks great, and kind of pops.  You may want to try giving the entire sprite that pop with some color or lighter shades.  From experience, contrast looks really weird when you first use it, but it can make some great sprites.

To find palettes, just look up "pixel art palettes," and there should be a bunch to look from (I personally use the NES palette).

Good luck!

Would you try to do a source of light when working with 16x16 or would you only really do that till you get to 64x64?

I will try working with the NES pallet and see how it comes out, I always found working with a limit of colours really difficult.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic