Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:14:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignDesign pet peeves / clichés
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
Print
Author Topic: Design pet peeves / clichés  (Read 12319 times)
P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: May 05, 2016, 09:08:30 PM »

Having painfully apparent gameplay loops. When I get to the next tier of content and see that it's the old stuff with a new coat of paint... This varies based on how engaging other aspects are; I guess I'll stick with it for a good story, or not even mind if the base action is super fun.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 22, 2016, 05:44:20 PM »

inspired by playing the new doom: i really hate the way checkpoints are done in modern AAA games, where the game just autosaves at seemingly arbitrary points. if you're going to use checkpoints,  give me an in-game thematic representation of them (e.g. super mario world's goal posts) and let me decide if i want to use them or not pls.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 22, 2016, 09:04:39 PM »

From an immersion perspective, checkpoints like that always bothered me tho. It works in some games, but in many they're just bizarre. They need to be very creative to blend in well, if that's at all possible.

Still not quite sure how to solve this in my game(s).

Also, what? The goal posts are save points? From what game on?

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: May 22, 2016, 10:14:19 PM »

From an immersion perspective, checkpoints like that always bothered me tho. It works in some games, but in many they're just bizarre. They need to be very creative to blend in well, if that's at all possible.

Still not quite sure how to solve this in my game(s).

Also, what? The goal posts are save points? From what game on?

Yeah checkpoints in certain games do look extremely out of place and break the tone and autosave is useful in those scenarios. I think the issue is one more of execution than it being just the idea being bad at it's core. If developers actually think about autosave checkpoint placement, it's a net positive. Like Hyper Lift Drifter is a fantastic example of how to to autosave right, while Transistor is an example how it can break a game.

Life sucks and then you die.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 23, 2016, 12:23:33 AM »

hey i didn't say it was universally bad, it's just a pet peeve. also my problem is less with the checkpoints as save points and more with them as respawn points.

also an annoying thing is that these checkpoints are often badly placed. there are so many games that make you sit through the same scripted sequence again and again if you die. for instance , the new doom has instances where you have to sit through a door slowly opening and things like that.
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: May 23, 2016, 01:59:25 AM »

hey i didn't say it was universally bad, it's just a pet peeve. also my problem is less with the checkpoints as save points and more with them as respawn points.

also an annoying thing is that these checkpoints are often badly placed. there are so many games that make you sit through the same scripted sequence again and again if you die. for instance , the new doom has instances where you have to sit through a door slowly opening and things like that.

Haha probably should of gave that a second proper read through. But yeah I totally agree with you on the bad placement and having to go through story beats over and over again :/. But it totally can wreck a good difficulty curve too. Like Transistor is a perfect example of this, it will disable one of your powers when you die, but you can get around it with just going back on your save and you only lose like 5 minutes of progress tops.

Life sucks and then you die.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: May 23, 2016, 05:45:58 AM »

Yeah, I feel that checkpoints should have at least some kind of logic. I was playing Halo 3 yesterday and it has the same problem, they feel random and you have no idea where the last checkpoint was when you die.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic