Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:38:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHuge Swords and Tentacle Monsters.[gif-heavy]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Huge Swords and Tentacle Monsters.[gif-heavy]  (Read 21199 times)
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2016, 07:39:06 PM »

Looks great! I'm looking forward to seeing more of Matwek's art for this.

Krucho
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2016, 01:10:06 AM »

The swords are really cool, I like the trail effect they have.
Benjamming
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2016, 01:58:11 AM »

Oh man this looks so rad!

I love the way the monsters move around - the hit/recoil animation on them is super cool! I guess their tentacles could be a kinda life feedback? Like tentacles drop off the more they're damaged?

Also I love the big swords, but maybe they don't feel weighty enough yet? Maybe they shouldn't go through the ground, they should just bounce off it and bring up dust/sparks? Making it feel super heavy would be awesome Smiley

Keep up the great work - will be keeping an eye on this one! Smiley

FreakOrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2016, 08:31:43 AM »

twitter account?

Games/Gamedev Hunter, currently developing Stitch
@FreakOramaXD
Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2016, 12:40:41 PM »

Maybe you could have an attack where a bunch of swords stack on top of each other, and then, in a slashing motion, they are spread out.
This is all looking awesome. Especially the new art!  Smiley
Hmm, that sounds pretty cool, I'll consider adding it Grin
Also, thanks ^^

Oh man this looks so rad!

I love the way the monsters move around - the hit/recoil animation on them is super cool! I guess their tentacles could be a kinda life feedback? Like tentacles drop off the more they're damaged?

Also I love the big swords, but maybe they don't feel weighty enough yet? Maybe they shouldn't go through the ground, they should just bounce off it and bring up dust/sparks? Making it feel super heavy would be awesome Smiley

Keep up the great work - will be keeping an eye on this one! Smiley
I'm glad you like it :D

I've had many suggestions about tentacles representing a part of the health, but not sure if I'll add that, since it's tough for me with my pretty much non-existent physics to make tentacle parts falling off look good.

As for the big swords, I've changed certain swords to bouncing for now, and I'll be sure to add tons of particles later :D

The swords are really cool, I like the trail effect they have.
Thanks!

Sweeet. Glad this is in development.
I'm cool with that title btw. Go for it!  Beer!
hehe, thank you Smiley I'm indeed considering keeping the title, so unless some genius comes up with the best title in existence, this name'll stay.

twitter account?
Not yet, but soon-ish Wink

Update 21:
Spoiler Alert: Don't watch the gif if you don't want to be spoiled!

Small one again:

Work on the prophet continues.

Also, I now finally have a justification to keep the "huge swords" part of the title.

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
DemonSkullGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2016, 01:34:40 PM »

The enemy remembers me Matrix and Edge of Tomorrow creatures. It's very cool man!

Cakeprediction
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2016, 08:09:48 AM »

The enemy remembers me Matrix and Edge of Tomorrow creatures. It's very cool man!
Thank you :D

Update 22:
Calling the Prophet done for now, at least for the demo. Might come back to it later, but want to finish the other important things first.

So, the new thing of this update is that I've been working on the menu:

It works pretty well, and all that's left to add is key reconfiguration, all the functions besides that one also already work in-game.
The best thing about this menu, is that because of the way I've made it, it's very easy to add new buttons, and it also immediately serves as a pause-menu ingame, which is now also done because of that.
(the title is some fanart http://triangletheurgy.tumblr.com/ made for the game. I asked him if I could use it and he said yes, so for now this is the title image)

Code-wise, I'm getting very close to having everything finished, my imaginary to-do list sort of looks like this:

• Key reconfiguration
  • Adding a way to regain health(noodles)
  • Add remaining art(when available)
  • Add remaining sounds(when available)
  • Add music(when available)
  • Fluid tentacles(maybe)
  • Polish in general(when I have nothing to do)
  • Add a new monster(maybe)
All of the things I can do on my own are actually quite easy and quick to add, so I think we'll be able to reach the december deadline, at least code-wise, for the demo.

Not sure what I'll show next devlog, because most stuff that's left for me to make is not that exciting to look at really.
If you guys have any suggestions for the game or for what to do in the next devlog, feel free to tell me ^^

"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
Cakeprediction
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2016, 12:34:06 PM »

Update 23:
Been a while because everything I was working on was not interesting to watch, but here's something:
I've actually started slowly adding the tiles :D

Still a bit messy here, but it's a test and preview of what's to come

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2016, 01:32:08 PM »

It's nice to see this progressing. I really like the art style! Is it your making or did you hire someone?

matwek
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2016, 02:03:08 PM »

It's nice to see this progressing. I really like the art style! Is it your making or did you hire someone?
I can answer that question... I'm doing it. Although I can't claim credit for the character sprite.

I've worked on a few games in the past. The most note worthy ones are probably...

Poncho

Freedom Planet

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2016, 02:06:47 PM »

I had no idea you had this kind of a portfolio. I now doubly look forward to seeing this game completed!

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2016, 01:58:56 AM »

Well this is awesome! Wonderful art, as everyone's mentioned before.

I also took a look at your Tumblr. I had no idea you used to be part of the Super Toaster X team! Do you have an email? I'd love to reach out to you just to catch up, given our common background (current composer/sound designer for Super Toaster X).

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
Cakeprediction
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2016, 12:26:31 PM »

Hehe, Matwek already answered that question already :p

Well this is awesome! Wonderful art, as everyone's mentioned before.

I also took a look at your Tumblr. I had no idea you used to be part of the Super Toaster X team! Do you have an email? I'd love to reach out to you just to catch up, given our common background (current composer/sound designer for Super Toaster X).
Glad you like it :D
The rest has already been answered in pm :')

Update 24:
Quick update, I've been working on tiling the entire map, have done almost the entire foreground and am working on the background a bit. added some parallax scrolling to the background as well, which looks pretty rad imo:

Next few updates are all probably gonna be me showing off old portions of the map with the actual tiles in place
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 11:55:15 AM by Cakeprediction » Logged

TomKitchen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2016, 03:37:57 PM »

Really great seeing this game come together. Looking forward to getting my hands on it!!

Cakeprediction
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2016, 01:26:15 PM »

Really great seeing this game come together. Looking forward to getting my hands on it!!

Thanks ^^.

So, as the game keeps closing in to the day of the demo, It's mainly me just polishing stuff and adding graphics.
Here're some gifs of the game with another parallax layer and the background in:

If there's anything else you would like to see besides me just showing new gifs of old places but prettier, please do tell me! It might make the devlog a bit more exciting :p

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2016, 04:13:03 PM »

The parallax effect is really nice, but those tiles are really busy.

Cakeprediction
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2016, 02:22:40 AM »

The parallax effect is really nice, but those tiles are really busy.
Yeah, it's been brought up by quite a few people.
I've already made the buildings way less fat in that second gif, and we're considering something like either lowering contrast for the background or blurring it a bit to make it less busy.

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2016, 04:36:10 PM »

Have to agree with tiles having a little something off, I think it's the contrast. (it feels agressive?) or maybe it's the background meshing too well. Still looking great though!

if you wan't to get more in specifi (Although I'm pretty sure what you're currently doing makes a much more exiting devlog  Wink )

How are you doing the laser beams, is it final?
seems like a rectangle+circle and it looks pretty cool and alive.
but if my assumption is correct and it's meant to be colored, how would that work?

How do you the white trail behind your character (and attacks)? Different sprite or special sauce?

What's with the white bar on the health bar?

You can answer these if you want, but do keep posting cool gifs  Smiley

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2016, 11:58:11 PM »

Whoa this got some serious style since last time I came. Awesome keep it up Well, hello there!

torcado
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2016, 09:24:34 AM »

This is looking super awesome. Nice job guys

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic