Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:44:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsShepherd Dog
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Shepherd Dog  (Read 13230 times)
FreakOrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 01:36:30 AM »

This looks lovely! Hope to see more and more hopeful to play it at some point =3

Do you have a twitter account?

Games/Gamedev Hunter, currently developing Stitch
@FreakOramaXD
Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 04:22:48 AM »

Love your models and the colour scheme is nice too! Is it possible to get across the bridge without losing any sheep? Keep it up, this looks awesome! Smiley

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

boogie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 06:42:59 AM »

This looks lovely! Hope to see more and more hopeful to play it at some point =3

Do you have a twitter account?

I have a twitter account, but I completely neglected it and don't use it at all. You are the second person that asks me that since yesterday, so I'm gonna update it and start posting there Smiley I'm gonna follow you up with a link when i get to it. I actually had in mind making web version of the game for you guys here on tigsource as soon as i have something playable. Right now it's just too boring Smiley The bigger plan is to make 2 or 3 levels and upload the game, get feedback and see if anybody likes it. I was thinking about some voting button in the game, like "i would like to play another level" and do levels on demand. I don't want to make 10 or 20 levels just to realize that the game is no fun and nobody plays it. If it will fail, i will just move to another project and be happy with what i made.

Love your models and the colour scheme is nice too! Is it possible to get across the bridge without losing any sheep? Keep it up, this looks awesome! Smiley

Aw man, thanks so much! This is my first approach to modeling and colour schemes so I was aiming for something "okay", i'm really glad that you like it, i'm encouraged to do more Smiley As for your question - yes it's possible. You can split the herd in smaller parts and get them past the bridge in turns. If you do it slowly and carefully you can get whole herd across in one try. This was the idea, if you go quickly you gonna lose some sheep, but if you gonna go slow, the herd will act differently, sheep won't panic and they will go where you want them to. The biggest problem right now is that there is no penalty for doing it slowly or even in turns. I could make a clock or a timer, but i don't really like that solution. If there is no penalty then why you would ever do things quickly. One idea is that leaving sheep behind puts them in danger. And there is a predator, like a wolf or a hunter that wanders around. If you leave them, they can become an easy prey for the hunter. So doing an obstacle in turns is a risk, you can save all sheep but you also risk them being hunted. Another idea is that left sheep wander away to other places and can get hurt (like fall in a hole or into water), but the problem is that you come back, you see fewer sheep and you don't know what happened. If they are shot by the hunter, i can leave bones on the ground, so you will be like "ok, here was my sheep, now here lies a skeleton, something killed my sheep". The question is, why a hunter would leave bones on the ground Smiley

ben_reilly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2016, 01:22:21 PM »

Another idea is that left sheep wander away to other places and can get hurt (like fall in a hole or into water), but the problem is that you come back, you see fewer sheep and you don't know what happened. If they are shot by the hunter, i can leave bones on the ground, so you will be like "ok, here was my sheep, now here lies a skeleton, something killed my sheep". The question is, why a hunter would leave bones on the ground Smiley

I appreciate your depth of thought here. I also like that you don't want to jump straight to using a clock or timer, since that's the default solution for penalizing caution. I'm sure that if you keep thinking through it like you are here, you'll arrive at something sensible and interesting. Smiley
ashen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2016, 04:03:46 PM »

Nice original idea. I really like the dog animation, is that from motion capture? The low poly look works really well.

EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2016, 08:18:27 PM »

Great idea! I think the sheep shouldn't just poof out of existence when they die though. If that boulder strikes your herd, I would expect it to send your sheep rigidbodies flying. Maybe once they come to rest for a few moments, then you poof them. Smiley

Poya
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 05:21:41 AM »

This is such a great concept. I can just imagine all sorts of obsurd/unreasonable obstacles you could throw in there. Pack of wolves, aliens abducting, etc etc Wink

Question: how deterministic is the movement of the sheep? Are there any random and/or AI elements in their direction and speed?

boustrophedon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 06:10:31 AM »

you NEED to put an option to play as a pig.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 09:14:32 AM »

The bigger plan is to make 2 or 3 levels and upload the game, get feedback and see if anybody likes it. I was thinking about some voting button in the game, like "i would like to play another level" and do levels on demand. I don't want to make 10 or 20 levels just to realize that the game is no fun and nobody plays it.
Yeah, that can be a challenge.  On one hand, it might be a good idea to start with a few levels but sometimes as you keep introducing new features that adds variety to the gameplay, the overall gameplay can get much better.   For now, I'd like to see a few levels that introduces the core mechanics and perhaps a few extra levels with new features/challenges. Smiley

boogie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2016, 10:55:32 AM »

Nice original idea. I really like the dog animation, is that from motion capture? The low poly look works really well.

Thanks man! I didn't use motion capture, but that would be an awesome thing to do (and probably very expensive) Wink I have a friend that works in the same company as i do and he is a very talented animator and he helped me quite a lot Smiley

Great idea! I think the sheep shouldn't just poof out of existence when they die though. If that boulder strikes your herd, I would expect it to send your sheep rigidbodies flying. Maybe once they come to rest for a few moments, then you poof them. Smiley

Good idea, I think I'm gonna prototype it and see if i like it.

This is such a great concept. I can just imagine all sorts of obsurd/unreasonable obstacles you could throw in there. Pack of wolves, aliens abducting, etc etc Wink

Question: how deterministic is the movement of the sheep? Are there any random and/or AI elements in their direction and speed?

Definitely pack of wolves! There is no randomness in sheep movement and at the moment there is no AI. 4 simple rules describe the movement of the sheep (try searching flocking or boids):
1. If the dog is close, get away from it.
2. If other sheep is too close, get away from it.
3. Try to be close to the herd.
4. Try to go in the direction of the herd.

you NEED to put an option to play as a pig.

Haha i dont think so Smiley

Yeah, that can be a challenge.  On one hand, it might be a good idea to start with a few levels but sometimes as you keep introducing new features that adds variety to the gameplay, the overall gameplay can get much better.   For now, I'd like to see a few levels that introduces the core mechanics and perhaps a few extra levels with new features/challenges. Smiley

Good food for thought, thanks.

migs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 11:27:03 AM »

I really want to play this game! Really nice colours, and holy hell those little derpy sheep are adorable. I felt bad for laughing at them fall in the water.
This would be equal parts tragic and endearing. I can picture myself yelling at the screen like "oh god dammit you idiot sheep" while their bodies are launched across the screen.

It feels fun and I'm just watching gifs, plus everything looks gorgeous; I'm sold.

boogie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2016, 11:50:41 AM »

I think I have fallen in love with that comment Smiley

boogie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2016, 07:56:04 AM »

Nothing big, but i animated trees lately

Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2016, 09:37:54 AM »

This seems like such a peaceful setting for a game. Looking forward to seeing more of it Smiley

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2016, 12:57:35 PM »

This actually looks really neat and engaging for so "simple" an idea. It also looks like it could work as well on mobile as on pc/console. What are your targets?

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
boogie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 11:34:59 PM »

This seems like such a peaceful setting for a game. Looking forward to seeing more of it Smiley

Thank you very much!

This actually looks really neat and engaging for so "simple" an idea. It also looks like it could work as well on mobile as on pc/console. What are your targets?

Controls are deliberately very simple, so I can build it on mobile and pc. I'm planning to make a webgl build for guys here on tigsource and i want to make a mobile build and ask random people to play it and give me feedback. Literally i want to go to the city square and ask random people to play it Smiley But answering your question: pc, mobile and web. I have never actually tried to build anything for a console, so I don't know how the process looks like.

boogie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2016, 03:53:18 AM »

Hey guys,

i didn't post for some time, but i'm still working on the game. I did a snake animation, but decided not to include it in the game and not to show it. I've been working on bear model and animations for past days

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2016, 04:05:05 AM »

Love the looks of this, and love the autumn trees, love autumn in general  Kiss

boogie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2016, 04:57:51 AM »

Thanks so much!

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2016, 04:40:13 AM »

This looks great could see myself enjoying this.

Love the fire animations!

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic