Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:41:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCyber Shadow - NES style ninja platformer
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
Print
Author Topic: Cyber Shadow - NES style ninja platformer  (Read 150330 times)
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: April 05, 2019, 03:57:11 AM »

I think the game would have been noticed eventually. Good games get noticed. Cave Story didn't need something like Yacht Club Games to promote itself.

Cave Story was released in a completely different era when there was far less competition competing for eyeballs. Also, it was released for FREE and - although we'll never know for sure - quite probably reliant on that for its later commercial success. I'm sure there are plenty of really good games out there which have sold diddly-squat, it's just that we - by definition - don't know about them because they were lost in the shuffle.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 14, 2019, 11:04:42 PM »

sorry that was unnecessarily rude of me. yacht club games have a built in fanbase with a reach and ability to market directly to the target audience of this game, as well as valuable understanding and input into the back end workings of a game like this and experience supporting multiple releases and platforms. for a one man or small team taking some of that load off can be invaluable, and for someone looking to make money, getting more people to potentially give you that money is potentially a better strategy than hoping you get noticed naturally.

I thought of all of this too, but still, 10 years in the making... I at least hope he got a good deal out of it.

I think the game would have been noticed eventually. Good games get noticed. Cave Story didn't need something like Yacht Club Games to promote itself.
Good games don't always get noticed, especially not now with how competitive the gaming market is.
MekaSkull
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 30, 2019, 03:51:59 PM »

Thanks everyone!

Whoop! Answers galore:
-The development of this version started about when I started this devlog, so three and a half years of work. Before this I had a project I scrapped because it was very inefficient and unwieldy, effectively starting the game over from scratch.
-I had set out to make the game myself, so I did say no to a lot of publishers.
-Superb Joe pretty much summed up everything good about working with YCG. This allows me to focus on making the game while someone else does all the things I don't want to do Big Laff. On top of this I'm getting very in-depth feedback on level design as well as some seriously sharp QA turning over every pixel to make sure everything is working as it should.
-Ultimately I decided to go with them thinking the game will now be better than my lone best effort would've been Ninja

Twitter @MekaSkull
Cyber Shadow Devlog
indieDB
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 31, 2019, 12:05:30 PM »

good luck with your game, i will be buying it
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: May 31, 2019, 01:50:14 PM »

Same
Pixel.ABCD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 01, 2019, 11:48:27 AM »

The art and the gameplay looks outstanding, I am following this on twitter for some time now.  Beer! Looking forward to see more.
TheElementalist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: June 01, 2019, 02:45:55 PM »

Love the art style, very NES work (dad pun, sorry)!  I just released my game and realized that all the time I've sunk into it I haven't been doing any of the social aspects and I have a feeling it's going to sink into the depths noiselessly.  I'd be very interested to hear how working with YCG ends up for you.  I'm right now realizing that I should have been posting "something" on reddit and various other social spaces to have enough "presence" to make a release post now.  Oh well.  I'll let you all know how the Steam "Curator Connect" feature works out.
Wizard Toast Right
dreamstrata
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: June 02, 2019, 06:45:13 PM »

Ninja Most platformers with ninjas as main characters come out on top when they're serious, and it's probably because that's what jumpy game characters aspire to be anyways  Cheesy.
Bitmojo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 07, 2019, 09:15:31 AM »

Hey, MekaSkull.

First of all, congratulations for getting published by Yacht Club.

Secondly, i have a technical question. You said that the game was built on Construct 2, right?. How was the porting to console process?. Did you have to change engine or did some black magic to keep working with Construct 2?

Regards
MekaSkull
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 14, 2019, 02:02:57 AM »

Hey!

Yeah Ninja games tend to do well  , wonder if you make a Ninja game, you will embody the Ninja spirits.

As for the port. It's running on http://mp2.dk/chowdren/ , so a native runtime.
Even the PC version will be the port to ensure the game runs perfectly.

Twitter @MekaSkull
Cyber Shadow Devlog
indieDB
MekaSkull
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 21, 2020, 05:43:33 PM »

Almost there Ninja
People aren't kidding about that last 10%  Epileptic

Twitter @MekaSkull
Cyber Shadow Devlog
indieDB
Bitmojo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 23, 2020, 04:58:49 AM »

Almost there Ninja
People aren't kidding about that last 10%  Epileptic

Hey MekaSkull, long time not seeing around here  Cheesy Cheesy. Yeah, i can imagine the finishing touches can take some time since the game will be released almost 2 years after the publishing with YCG was announced  Grin Grin.

Anyway, January 26th is the date and i can't wait to play it on my Switch. I already added it to my wishlist although i can't seem to preorder it on the Switch Store

So, any projects in mind after finishing this?

Congratulations and good luck with your launch  Ninja
Bitmojo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 20, 2021, 08:36:06 AM »

Preordered on Switch and ready to play upon release. Just one week to go. WOOHOO!!!  Beer!

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: January 20, 2021, 10:07:09 AM »

Oh wow, this looks really good! Definitely going to be picking it up. Congratulations on the impending release!

Earworm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: January 31, 2021, 10:31:05 AM »

Just finished Cyber Shadow today, amazing work! I gotta say, it was a little disheartening seeing the number of deaths after the credits rolled though  Cheesy

The final boss was definitely a bit of a challenge. Overall the boss fights were my favorite parts. I love that they all had logical patterns that once recognized made the battle become a matter of execution and not luck.

It was a pleasure to play, thank you so much and congratulations!
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: February 01, 2021, 03:09:25 PM »

Congratulations! Just saw a youtube recommended video of the gameplay!

BonzerKitten
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 09, 2021, 05:20:37 AM »

I'm loving to play it! It's such a cool and well made game. Congratulations for the fantastic release, MekaSkull! Hand Clap

Tezcatek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: February 09, 2021, 08:14:44 AM »

I played the first 1.5 hours, very solid. Of course it reminds me of Ninja Gaiden, but I also feel like there's bits and pieces from other action platformers of the era, including Contra and Mega Man. Not sure how accurate that actually is, but to me it definitely feels like revisiting an era as opposed to a single game. I'm also quite fond of the boss battle designs.

Great work. I'm sure this game will help elevate the genre and force other retro action platformer devs (like myself) to work harder and aspire to greater heights. Best of luck and congrats on the release of Cyber Shadow.

MekaSkull
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 14, 2021, 02:12:46 PM »

I'm glad to hear my work also inspires others!

There's definitely elements from all the games/comics/anime/movies I like pooled into one.

Anyhoo, finishing a game doesn't seem to mean actually stopping work on it. I wonder if the TIG progress meter goes above 100%? It's really cool how people offer their feedback and allow me to do improvements post launch. Hard at work on a patch for technical support/minor improvements, though trying to take it easy due to a mystery eye condition that keeps coming and going. It's slightly frustrating now that I'm filled with enthusiasm towards work too...

Twitter @MekaSkull
Cyber Shadow Devlog
indieDB
Bitmojo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 16, 2021, 03:28:41 AM »

Finished the game last week. 17 hours and 665 deaths, but all worth it for the sweet 100%  Beer!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic