Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:35:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMANDAGON || (sequel currently in production)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: MANDAGON || (sequel currently in production)  (Read 10035 times)
blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 05:32:41 AM »

I love the overall feeling of the game. Graphics are so nice and in some way relaxing. I'm going to keep an eye on this Smiley

Cheers tanis, our music man is doing some wonderful work at the moment to help solidify that relaxing vibe, while adding a slight sense on forebode. Looking forward to people being able to hear/see it all together!

In the meantime here's some concept art stuff. Just for fun

Also I've been playing around with the lighting in some of the rooms recently - up next is set decoration

blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 08:15:14 AM »

Been working on this introduction level recently so I figured I'd share some screenshots -

(also gameplay/story trailer will be here very soon)

We'll be looking to run MANDAGON through steam greenlight in the near future so keep eyes peeled!

lobstersteve
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 02:08:30 PM »

Damn all the colors in the game are wonderful..
blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 11:40:27 AM »

Damn all the colors in the game are wonderful..

Cheers very much man. I've obsessed over those colours, glad it's not gone unnoticed!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 02:58:45 PM »

Looking good! Smiley

I would certainly like to spin this building around like in FEZ.  Grin

blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 08:56:59 PM »

Looking good! Smiley
-
I would certainly like to spin this building around like in FEZ.  Grin
Cheers, although no spinning I'm afraid. But if you tap LT it turns into super meat boy My Word!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:02:18 PM by blindskystudios » Logged

blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 09:06:14 PM »

In the meantime, here's a peek at another one of Mandagon's talkative statues -

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 09:08:53 PM »

Cheers, although no spinning I'm afraid. But if you tap LT it turns into super meat boy My Word!
So, Hand Any Key turns  Grin into  Angry

That sounds like a ... game ... within a game!  
Very magical.  Wizard

blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2016, 01:10:56 PM »

MANDAGON is up for voting on Greenlight

click the button below and show your support!

Hello everyone - Cheers for the advice and kind words regarding Mandagon! You can now vote for us on Steam Greenlight.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2016, 02:10:03 PM »

That was fast! Smiley

The only thing I noticed is that I couldn't make out the game title at the end.  It just blended in with the surrounding artwork.  It does seem better in this image:

Maybe because the background is dark.   Or you could just fade out the surrounding artwork and have the game title remain on screen a bit longer.  Also, might be better if it was larger as well.

digitalskyfire
Level 0

Making games is really hard, so I just voice them.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2016, 02:23:08 PM »

The pixel style, tone, and layout of the background elements just scream Fez, which is ok because I liked Fez. Had I seen a picture or video of this game without context, though, I might have incorrectly assumed this was somehow related to Fez. It's that similar, imo.

Again, this is a-ok by me, I'm all for it Smiley
blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2016, 03:22:27 PM »

That was fast! Smiley

The only thing I noticed is that I couldn't make out the game title at the end.  It just blended in with the surrounding artwork.

Yep, been racing! Due a crash soon I'm sure! And also yep, good point RE: the logo in the vid - My aficionado for subtle unassuming branding will be my downfall! Definitely something to conciser for future promo stuff Blink

The pixel style, tone, and layout of the background elements just scream Fez, which is ok because I liked Fez. Had I seen a picture or video of this game without context, though, I might have incorrectly assumed this was somehow related to Fez. It's that similar, imo.

Again, this is a-ok by me, I'm all for it Smiley

Ha! right you are, the look of fez is a big influence - I'm super new to pixel art, so as such I'm a bit of a sponge and am very much wearing my influences on my sleeve! Game like fez, Titan Souls and Swords and Sworcery have been a MASSIVE inspiration!! As well as an odd combination of games like Journey and Dear Esther for story telling.

Mandagon is something of a playground for me and the team, We're just experimenting a little, dipping our toes into greenlight and getting a feel for how things work!

You can see my usual visual approach here in the dev log for our main game adam.

blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2016, 03:42:50 AM »

Current state of mind . . .

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 03:59:43 AM »

Really cool atmosphere and scenery/setting. I love the odd main character as well. Hand Clap

blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2016, 07:09:21 AM »

Really cool atmosphere and scenery/setting. I love the odd main character as well. Hand Clap

Cheers man! I've been lurking a bit on your dev logs, that pixel art of yours is super adorable!!

blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2016, 10:31:04 AM »

Felt like I could do with a break from staring at a computer screen . . . So I went ahead a made a little paper cube fella. Happy hobby crafts!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2016, 10:56:48 AM »

Current state of mind . . .

For some reason that picture reminds me of a very focused state of mind. Smiley

Felt like I could do with a break from staring at a computer screen . . . So I went ahead a made a little paper cube fella. Happy hobby crafts!

Looks good! Smiley  It reminds me of a similar animation character made real and photographed in various places: https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Carton/    
Here's the cg animation:

Sometimes I also prefer to use pencil and paper to make sketches to take a break from working on the computer.

On the other hand, while I've done certain frame by frame animations by hand in the past when computers weren't around, at this point I definitely prefer the power of automation and wouldn't do something like this by hand:  https://vimeo.com/90603521    Grin
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:55:44 PM by io3 creations » Logged

Bakuda
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2016, 12:22:40 PM »

I'm also getting some major Fez vibes from this.  It's looks like it'll be a fun little game to play.  Keeping my eye on this.  Smiley

blindskystudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2016, 11:15:16 AM »

Our friendly neighborhood sound artist Mr. Richard Jackson has started a series of blog posts about the audio in Mandagon - You can have a read here

...On the other hand, while I've done certain frame by frame animations by hand in the past when computers weren't around, at this point I definitely prefer the power of automation and wouldn't do something like this by hand: 

Grin

Frame by frame animation is an admirable endurance! I used to do a lot of hand drawn animation back in college. Also random childhood memories of using a Game boy camera to make stop-motion stuff!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2016, 11:44:03 AM »

Frame by frame animation is an admirable endurance! I used to do a lot of hand drawn animation back in college. Also random childhood memories of using a Game boy camera to make stop-motion stuff!

It certainly is! Smiley

I've also done some stop-motion animations and still have a few of my flip-book animations from childhood.  Fun times! Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic