Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:02:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMOONLIGHTER - [Shopkeeping + ARPG/ rogue-lite] Available on May 29th, 2018!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: MOONLIGHTER - [Shopkeeping + ARPG/ rogue-lite] Available on May 29th, 2018!  (Read 79734 times)
Erabos
Level 0

Polarbear Ninja

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2016, 08:53:21 AM »

Looking forward to making YouTube content on this game or might even try streaming it upon release.Hand Any Key Screamy Hand Money Right
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:27:37 AM by Erabos » Logged

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2016, 09:09:15 AM »

Congrats on the 95% Yes!  Smiley

So ... what is exactly Square Enix's role?  It seems like they help you with visibility but overall, are they essentially a publisher?  i.e. do you have to sign contract if or some kind of agreement if you wish to go with them?

(slightly off topic)
Of course we all know what SqEX is about! Well, hello there!    Big Laff

Erabos
Level 0

Polarbear Ninja

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2016, 09:18:35 AM »

So ... what is exactly Square Enix's role?  It seems like they help you with visibility but overall, are they essentially a publisher?  i.e. do you have to sign contract if or some kind of agreement if you wish to go with them?

They say they're willing to give their support to the Kickstarter or Indigogo campaign when it goes live and if there is enough positive feedback.
Quote from: Square Enix Site

Each game’s campaign ends after 28 days, and if the response is strong, we may lend our support as well when it lands on Indiegogo or Kickstarter.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:20:51 AM by Erabos » Logged

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2016, 11:04:41 AM »

Yes, I've seen that.  But what is their role afterwards?  Are they just a charity the help with exposure or ultimately run a business (e.g. as a publisher)? 

A quick web search shows a few games that are going to be published by Square Enix, so I'm guessing that's what they are really after at the end of the day.  That probably only happens if they're also interested in the game.  But then, it'd be at least it's beneficial for everybody. Hand Money Left Well, hello there! Hand Money Right

The main question I have is though, is it implied somewhere that they expect something in return?  What if they help with fundraising and would like to publish your game ... but you prefer to self publish?  Probably the SQEX terms explain that so instead of me spending a lot of time on finding that info, hopefully Moonlighter's devs can answer that question.

zed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2016, 12:14:14 PM »

TLDR: The feedback phase is free. They ask 5% from a successful crowdfunding campaign, and 10% revenue share if they publish your game. Both are optional.

http://collective.square-enix.com/about

"And then it’s into the Funding phase, when we’ll continue to help drive awareness of your campaign as a ‘Square Enix Approved’ project. At the end of the campaign, if you hit or exceed your initial funding target, we’ll ask for 5% of the net funds raised (ie, the amount you receive from Indiegogo or Kickstarter after fees are deducted). This isn’t because we’re trying to use crowdfunding to make money, but it does help us to cover our costs and keep the initial Feedback phase free for everybody. If you don’t hit your target, no fee is payable.

If you’re successful, we may also offer to help distribute your game, which involves getting your game onto PC digital platforms, helping with QA and managing the sales administration. This is in return for 10% of revenue, net of taxes and digital platform fees."

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2016, 01:02:33 PM »

TLDR: The feedback phase is free. They ask 5% from a successful crowdfunding campaign, and 10% revenue share if they publish your game. Both are optional.

"And then it’s into the Funding phase, when we’ll continue to help drive awareness of your campaign as a ‘Square Enix Approved’ project. At the end of the campaign, if you hit or exceed your initial funding target, we’ll ask for 5% of the net funds raised (ie, the amount you receive from Indiegogo or Kickstarter after fees are deducted). This isn’t because we’re trying to use crowdfunding to make money, but it does help us to cover our costs and keep the initial Feedback phase free for everybody. If you don’t hit your target, no fee is payable.

If you’re successful, we may also offer to help distribute your game, which involves getting your game onto PC digital platforms, helping with QA and managing the sales administration. This is in return for 10% of revenue, net of taxes and digital platform fees."

Thanks zed!  That's exactly what I was looking for. Smiley

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2016, 02:46:03 AM »

Congratulations! Amazing to see you getting some love from PC Gamer and Kotaku too  Smiley

Thank you Smiley

Hope everything is going well with your KS campaign! By the way, I saw few days ago that you know ludipe. He's an interesting person, with super GameJam skills. I know him too, from some events  Cheesy

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2016, 03:05:56 AM »

Looking forward to making YouTube content on this game or might even try streaming it upon release.Hand Any Key Screamy Hand Money Right

Hahaha! Don't worry, as soon as we start the press phase (provably before or during crowdfunding) we will share at least a presskit, and provably something playable, with you and other people interested   Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2016, 03:16:33 AM »

Awesome.

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2016, 03:28:34 AM »

Thanks zed!  That's exactly what I was looking for. Smiley

Hi there. Sorry for the delay, we've been super busy.

Well.. As zed said, those are the regular conditions. It goes step by step:

First of all, you can submit your game at SQEX Collective, usually one time a month. Of all the games submitted, only one goes to feedback phase on Collective.

After Collective and depending on your results (number of votes, implication, and provably others) during feedback phase, Square can offer you to help during a future crowdfunding campaign. As zed said, they use to take a 5% of the final amount achieved during the campaign.

Besides all the crowdfunding thing, SQEX is also indie publisher as SQEX Collective. They have several models of publishing, and as any other publisher, you can discuss an agreement. As publishers, they can help with PR & marketing and also could help with funding.

And... More or less that's all.

Of course, if you want to know more I believe that they will answer you anything. Collective's team is not very large, and on our experience, they want to work with good indie teams.

Hope this helps. If you have any other question, you know where to find us!  Gentleman

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2016, 03:29:15 AM »

Awesome.

Thank you!  Grin

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2016, 09:47:32 AM »

Hi there. Sorry for the delay, we've been super busy.

Well.. As zed said, those are the regular conditions. It goes step by step:

First of all, you can submit your game at SQEX Collective, usually one time a month. Of all the games submitted, only one goes to feedback phase on Collective.

After Collective and depending on your results (number of votes, implication, and provably others) during feedback phase, Square can offer you to help during a future crowdfunding campaign. As zed said, they use to take a 5% of the final amount achieved during the campaign.

Besides all the crowdfunding thing, SQEX is also indie publisher as SQEX Collective. They have several models of publishing, and as any other publisher, you can discuss an agreement. As publishers, they can help with PR & marketing and also could help with funding.

And... More or less that's all.

Of course, if you want to know more I believe that they will answer you anything. Collective's team is not very large, and on our experience, they want to work with good indie teams.

Hope this helps. If you have any other question, you know where to find us!  Gentleman

An answer within 24 hours (especially when considering various time zones all over the world) is not what I'd call a delay. Wink

Thank you for your answer.  After zed's and your post, I decided to look more into it.  I really like the part where you can keep your IP. Smiley  On the about page it said:
"If you’re successful, we may also offer to help distribute your game, which involves getting your game onto PC digital platforms, helping with QA and managing the sales administration. This is in return for 10% of revenue, net of taxes and digital platform fees."
I only heard a few numbers here and there but that sounds quite good.  Have you heard of other publishers' numbers (in general)?

Also:
"the Submission must refer to a concept for the development of a game for replay either on PC Windows format for digital download distribution, digital console (eg XBLA or PSN) or mobile, although Projects do not need to be created exclusively for those formats;"
Sounds like they can help with other platforms (at least digitally downloadable versions) as well.

Overall, sounds interesting.  You mentioned they have several models of publishing.  What if you don't need help with the funding aspect but would be interested in help with the others?  Do you know if they have that kind of publishing model?

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2016, 02:10:08 AM »

I only heard a few numbers here and there but that sounds quite good.  Have you heard of other publishers' numbers (in general)?
(...)
Overall, sounds interesting.  You mentioned they have several models of publishing.  What if you don't need help with the funding aspect but would be interested in help with the others?  Do you know if they have that kind of publishing model?

Well... yes. We're looking for a partner/ publisher that helps us with PR & Mkt. For now it's not clear, but Square is a very nice option. Of course, we have talked with several publishers, and depending on the publisher, what you need and a lot of other variables (it's a negotiation like any other) they will make an offer. It is super variable, but usually, the  more the publisher is involved in the project (investment, services, brand...) the more revenues they will want to take. It's easy to understand, because they are investing more resources to the project and taking more risks.

About SQEX as publisher, of course they can be publishers without being also investors. It all depends on what you need, and what can they offer for your project. On our experience, the Collective team are really nice people.

"the Submission must refer to a concept for the development of a game for replay either on PC Windows format for digital download distribution, digital console (eg XBLA or PSN) or mobile, although Projects do not need to be created exclusively for those formats;"
Sounds like they can help with other platforms (at least digitally downloadable versions) as well.

Sounds like that, yes... We're pretty new to all the "digital console" thing. That's another reason for finding a publisher.  Gomez

Hope that helps!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2016, 09:02:56 AM »

Thank you for answering my questions and confirming my assumptions.  I'll definitely keep them in mind!  Smiley

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2016, 01:03:46 AM »

Thank you for answering my questions and confirming my assumptions.  I'll definitely keep them in mind!  Smiley

You're welcome!  Smiley

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2016, 05:51:09 AM »

#8 Looking for a music composer and/or sound designer!

Hi there!

We're finally back after Moonlighter's Collective campaign, and more busy than ever! At this moment we are planning our next steps on our way on making Moonlighter an amazing and successful game.

We think that it finally is the moment to find a good Game Music Composer and/or Game Sound Designer! Let's make Moonlighter sound amazingGrin

Please, if you are interested, contact us at our mail: [email protected]

elisof
Level 0

you can call me eli though hi hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2016, 10:18:12 AM »

Ah awesome! I was wondering whether you'd already approached somebody for those. I'll definitely send something over soon, from what I've been reading and keeping updated on this is still very much up my way, haha.
And belated congrats for the 95% on the Collective! Extremely deserving and great to see that lots of people are interested in the game  Coffee
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 10:54:02 AM by lizilser » Logged

I compose and design sound~
SoundCloud // Bandcamp // Twitter // Avatar by the rad Sarah Graley~
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2016, 12:05:28 PM »

Congratulations, once again, on making history Smiley! It's so fascinating to see how the Square Enix Collective will contribute to Moonlighter, truly, and I anticipate all of the steps they will take to assist you.

Regarding your call for music / sound, I just sent you an email. It's an exhilarating time for Moonlighter, and I hope to speak to you soon amidst all the excitement!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2016, 06:13:24 PM »

Hey! Just wanted to post to make sure I'm following this Shocked)

I can tell you probably have gotten a lot of emails today about the game audio, but I hope you get a chance to read through mine! We're all super excited about Moonlighter with you.

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2016, 02:05:12 PM »

Wow  Shocked Congratulations on your historic Square Enix Collective score. ╭( ・ㅂ・)و   I am happy to see that things are going well and that you're getting such positive attention!

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic