Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 08:02:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMOONLIGHTER - [Shopkeeping + ARPG/ rogue-lite] Available on May 29th, 2018!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: MOONLIGHTER - [Shopkeeping + ARPG/ rogue-lite] Available on May 29th, 2018!  (Read 78866 times)
justincavenagh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2016, 03:45:56 AM »

Wow, steller effort, really great to hear the progress you have made and the Square Enix stuff should amazing.

Sent you an email, would be great to collaborate with your guys sometime Smiley

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2016, 07:34:42 AM »

Hi everybody  Smiley

As we said via twitter yesterday, we're being literally overwhelmed by an enormous amount of high-quality music creators. Thank you all, you're amazing!

Taking the right decision is not going to be easy. We want to pick the best fit for the game and the team. Just don't be worried if you haven't received an answer so far: We can't answer every mail (sorry, but it's just impossible), but we are reviewing every single message that we get from you. On the near future we'll share more info about any decision for Moonlighter's music and sound.
---

By the way... Moonlighter's development continues. We're now working on adjusting the timing of the animations to different actions (mostly Will's attacks with different weapons).

I'm letting here some captures of the animator (big resolution). Of course, it's just a WIP.

LINK 1

LINK 2

As always, any feedback is welcome! Gentleman

galangs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2016, 01:22:27 AM »

Thank you for the update.
I was wondering if you already hire someone to make the music for your game.

Once again, thank you for the heads up.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: May 03, 2016, 11:15:03 AM »

It's looking great guys!  Grin

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2016, 09:21:19 AM »

Think we may have annihilated their inbox guys... Who, Me?

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2016, 01:33:44 PM »

I forgot to mention: I'd be more than happy to provide you with a ukulele soundtrack Wink

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2016, 04:10:29 AM »

I forgot to mention: I'd be more than happy to provide you with a ukulele soundtrack Wink

HAHA, mind if I just hire you into HyperDuck as a sub-company "HyperDuck UkuleleWorks" ? Yes? Greatthanksbye.

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2016, 05:46:15 AM »

It's looking great guys!  Grin

Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right Thanks Alec!

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2016, 05:49:31 AM »

HAHA, mind if I just hire you into HyperDuck as a sub-company "HyperDuck UkuleleWorks" ? Yes? Greatthanksbye.

Tears of Joy Tears of Joy Tears of Joy

Think we may have annihilated their inbox guys... Who, Me?

This is accurate.  Tongue But that's what we are asking for, so... Fair enough.  Shrug

--------

By the way! We've been like megabusy lately with a lot of things... I'm writing a new devlog update filled with exciting news about the development and the game itself, and where are we going  Smiley

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2016, 07:04:31 AM »

It's been some time since the last update, but here we are again  Smiley

#9 DevLog: Finally found a musician! (+ other updates)

First of all, this has been the first time that our team has gone through a process like this. We've been overwhelmed by the amount of messages that we've received, but finally we have taken a decision.

A lot of talented people has asked us for being part of Moonlighter as sound designer and music composer. We've read more than 200 messages and contacted sent a couple more. Then, passed through a long process of selection. We wanted the best possible option available, it had to fit with us as a team and with Moonlighter as a game.

Taking a final decision has been extremely hard. But we can finally say that now we have a musician for Moonlighter Grin . We're not going to give names for now, but we believe that we have taken the right choice.

Thank you to all the people that has sent us their demos, re-scores, portfolios and everything! Keep up the good work! Beer!

------

We're currently adding content to the game, developing more mechanics (random passive effects for some items) and polishing other aspects (animations, weapons ...)

Here's David, working on some concepts of Will in front of the main Gate:

Oh! We've decided to change the name of some places: As you know, since now we have "The Village, Rynoka", and something called "the Dungeons". From now on "the dungeons" are going to be called "The Realms", and its access region is going to be "The Gates".

We feel that this is more natural, and gives a better understanding of Rynoka being connected to The Realms through some special "Gates".

------

As always, any feedback is welcome!  Smiley

During the week we will publish a new DevLog (the 10th) and it will be very special!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 07:19:03 AM by DigitalSun » Logged

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: May 19, 2016, 02:55:26 PM »

Here we go…

#10 DevLog: Moonlighter is going to Kickstarter

That's it. We have decided to go through a kickstarter campaign. It's being an enormous and scary amount of work, and we hope to be welcomed by the community of players (and backers).

This is an important step, not only for Moonlighter's development, but also for us as a company. This is our first own game, and this kickstarter can be our first step into what we want to become.

Obviously, all the funds received from KS will be directly invested on the development of Moonlighter, that means more people into the project (mostly artists), deeper mechanics, more content… To make Moonlighter as good we want it to be, we need the support of the community.

For now, we are trying to find the best date for it to start, it will be soon (maybe on a couple of weeks), we will keep you all informed. We're working on a lot of things: An amazing trailer, a lot of content, polishing some aspects of the game itself, and arranging lots of other things (How the hell does people ship their rewards!? Undecided )

We also want you to know that we are going to KS with the support of Square Enix Collective. We are not receiving any money from them, and we are keeping all creative rights of Moonlighter. This relation is the result of the succeeded Collective campaign. If you want to know more about the deals they offer, feel free to ask. Anyway, if you are interested you should contact them directly. Collective is a small and great team  Gentleman .

For now... That's all.  We will show you more content soon.  Wink

-----

By the way... We're having a burrito night (some of us)! Tongue

Erabos
Level 0

Polarbear Ninja

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 19, 2016, 03:04:07 PM »

I was so excited to throw money at you but then I read further and found out that the ks wasn't here . . . yet.  Hand Money Right  Mock Anger Hand Money Right

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: May 19, 2016, 03:15:13 PM »

I was so excited to throw money at you but then I read further and found out that the ks wasn't here . . . yet.  Hand Money Right  Mock Anger Hand Money Right

Hahaha Grin sorry! Soon it will be! We'll keep you all informed.

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2016, 07:44:39 AM »

I'm leaving here a possible banner:

As always, any feedback is welcome!  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2016, 02:03:55 AM »

My only feedback is LET ME THROW MONEY AT YOU ALREADY! Also those burgers look delicious, make that a pledge reward please. And I'll take 3.

Oscar Blomqvist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: May 22, 2016, 02:25:58 AM »

This looks incredibly polished. Awesome work guys.

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2016, 02:37:35 AM »

My only feedback is LET ME THROW MONEY AT YOU ALREADY! Also those burgers look delicious, make that a pledge reward please. And I'll take 3.

Grin Grin  Kiss soon...

Those burgers had even better taste than appearence. Serioulsy. Amazing meal.

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2016, 02:52:19 AM »

This looks incredibly polished. Awesome work guys.

Thank you! Smiley  Gentleman

We want to take care of the details. Of course, it's a work in progress. The final game will have a lot more content, some improvements, maybe more secondary animations...

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2016, 10:59:10 PM »

Here is info about scheduling a campaign in June you may find useful. I've been closely monitoring how Kickstarter campaigns perform for a few years now.

--- Part 1 --- Looking at potential times to run a campaign.

Here is a table of possible dates to run a Kickstarter campaign in the near future:
http://i.imgur.com/u0XTEoB.png
Red is bad, green is good and white is okay based on the weekly traffic cycle.

● In general I can't recommend launching or ending a Kickstarter campaign on Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays. Those dates are colour-coded red. I've watched many good quality campaigns that launch into weekends fail to get traction. Bad starting dates for a campaign are already eliminated from the table so they aren't a distraction. Bad ending dates harm the potential for how much the final days can raise.

● Mondays and Tuesdays perform very good for both launching and ending. They are colour-coded green.

● Wednesdays are okay for both launching and ending. In a good month a Wednesday can be considered nearly as good as a Monday or Tuesday.

● Thursdays are special. They are poorer for launching a campaign, but actually good for a campaign deadline. For launching the campaign, it immediately goes forward into a weekend which is generally bad for performance. Launching on Thursday often risks blogger coverage getting delayed until Monday. If ending on a Thursday there is all the exposure from the earlier Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to help if the campaign is pushing to just reach its goal by its end.

● It is good to launch in the morning and schedule the deadline for the evening in the Eastern Daylight time zone of North America where most backers live. Launching in the evening means wasting lots of time at the start when fewer people are around overnight. Ending in the morning means the campaign could end while many potential last-minute backers are still asleep or at work. This can be rough for European developers due to time zone differences. There is the feature to specify a specific end time for the campaign. It is very useful. If that option isn't used then the campaign will end on the last day at the same hour of the day that the campaign launched on the first day.

● On the Internet there is the common Kickstarter advice to only run a campaign for exactly 30 days. What I've seen is that it is far more important to properly synchronize with the cycles of traffic the platform receives. Blindly conforming to a length of 30 days creates problems. Being closer to 30 days in length is generally better, but 1 to 4 extra days can help the campaign end at a much better time. There are many disadvantages to running a longer campaign like 40 to 60 days.

--- Part 2 --- Looking at what events will be happening around the campaign.

June is one of the harshest months out of the entire year to run a video game Kickstarter campaign.

● July 4th is Independence Day in the US. Running from May 31st to July 4th initially looks good in the table, but July 4th complicates things. Potential backers can be out celebrating instead of being bored on the Internet and deciding to browse gaming blogs.

● June 12th has an event being held by Electronic Arts. I don't know much more about this.

● June 14th to 16th is E3 2016 in Los Angeles. Getting press for an indie game becomes a nightmare if one doesn't have presence at E3. During E3 there are many AAA gaming announcements and trailers that bloggers will give priority because they get way more clicks. Even if an indie game does get covered, the post about the game can be quickly buried by new content faster than usual. Bloggers that attend E3 can get sick with convention flu after attending so their output suffers. Some of the larger YouTube Let's Play channel creators also go to E3 so they can't respond as quickly to make videos.

● June 23rd is rumored to have a Steam Summer Sale begin. A Steam Sale can be a difficult time on PC gamers' wallets. While they can still be backing Kickstarter campaigns, the size of individual pledges may be smaller than normal around this time.

● June 24th is when Mighty No.9 is supposed to release. That game may damage the reputation of crowdfunding if the final product is not what people wanted.

● July 7th is Mirror's Edge Catalyst's release date.

● Sometime in July a playable demo for Yooka-Laylee is expected for backers that pledged high enough.

● June 6th is the anniversary for World War II's D-Day landings.

● June 10th is the WarCraft movie in theaters.

● June 19th is Father's Day.

● June 24th is the Independence Day Resurgence movie in theaters.

● July 1st is Canada Day.

● June 3rd is Chronicles of Elyria's Kickstarter campaign deadline. This could be a good thing if it brings in lots of traffic for the Kickstarter category during its final days.

● June 29th is scheduled launch on Kickstarter campaign for System Shock Remastered. From the look of the teaser trailer this could be one of the strongest campaigns of the year to compete against. It also means people being drawn to the platform that may check out what other campaigns are active before they leave.

● Kickstarter has an update to itself scheduled for June 9th. In the past this type of update results in new features, but also redesigns to project pages. There is apparently a new collaborator feature which is why the privacy policy for Kickstarter was recently changed.

--- Part 3 --- About strategy.

The easiest months of 2016 to run a campaign have already passed. A month like April is a paradise compared to the summer months for campaign performances. From June onwards it will be rough until improvements in late August or September. While June may be a rough time to run, that does not mean many campaigns can't get funded. Many are able to get funded in these months. If Moonlighter can hold a good popularity ranking it could get the traffic it needs. It does look strong enough that it could survive in June.

Delaying a launch for too long may weaken the attention the recent successful Square Enix Collective campaign was able to generate. The Collective is a great form of pre-launch marketing. Moonlighter's run there also helped get it some good coverage.

Pre-launch marketing and building up enough of a fanbase are ways to overcome poor timing. The general idea is to raise at least 15% of the goal amount in the first week. To achieve stretch goals it would be better to raise at least 30% in the first week. With enough preparations a campaign can raise 100% in its first day and not have to worry about what time of year it is.

One option is to launch around May 30th and try to rush to 100% funded before it gets really bad around E3. The first part of June isn't really that bad. This is easier said than done. The campaign may have to endure significant slow-down in the middle and then work hard to rebuild momentum in its second half. Another issue is that bloggers are usually e-mailed a preview of the project the week before a campaign launches so they have articles ready to go on launch day. A May 30th date may rush that process. I do not know how complete the project page draft is.

If there are enough followers already, then the campaign doesn't need to worry as much about getting the traction it will need. There are ways to estimate if there is enough of a following yet, but I'd need to have an idea of how large the minimum funding goal is and some of the pricing of the main reward tiers. The process involves trying to figure out what is the expected average pledge per backer (many factors are involved), then dividing the minimum goal by that average to get the number of backers to aim for. When you know how many backers you need, then a marketing plan can use historical conversion rates to try to estimate how much exposure is needed or how much pre-launch marketing is still required. The design of the reward tiers can me optimized to try to reduce the number of backers needed to reach 100%. The scope of the game could also be modified to get the minimum goal low enough that the current number of followers can provide enough initial momentum to get it funded.

Once you pick a date, there are tactics like setting up a real-time countdown on the official site to try to focus backers to pledge on the very first day. A Thunderclap campaign can be useful. There are options for what to do for early-bird reward tiers. Teaser images and trailers can be used. In general you try to promote the game around before the campaign is live and provide backers reasons for them to want to pledge on the first day. A $10 backer on the first day can be more valuable than $10 backer on later days. Kickstarter campaigns are often about getting enough momentum.

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: May 24, 2016, 08:09:52 AM »

This have been clarifying. Thank you! I'm sending you an e-mail with some extra data. We have already in mind some important good/bad dates, and it's good to know that your opinion is pretty close to ours...

We really appreciate your help here. It's our first time running a Kickstarter campaign. It is also true that we are going with the support of Square Enix. They will be helping us with mailing, press release and PR. Collective will be also on E3.

I'm going to send you that e-mail right now!  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic