Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:24:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMOONLIGHTER - [Shopkeeping + ARPG/ rogue-lite] Available on May 29th, 2018!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Print
Author Topic: MOONLIGHTER - [Shopkeeping + ARPG/ rogue-lite] Available on May 29th, 2018!  (Read 79717 times)
tanis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: June 15, 2016, 05:23:13 AM »

Your game looks soooo nice! Smiley I'm going to keep an eye on it Wink

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: June 15, 2016, 09:20:32 AM »

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay.

2,640 backers have pledged $71,626 (179.1%). 20 days remain.

Here is a quick update:
http://i.imgur.com/N4vQJat.png

Thanks!

The campaign has now more clearly started to show the rounding hump shape to the graphs of the main reward tiers. Moonlighter is now in the trough phase of the campaign.

Slow times on KS indeed.  I think that the start of summer and the E3 kickoff is really putting a damper on pledges for everyone.

Totally agree with you both. Even more rough with all the e3 noise around.

The $85 tier for the physical copy is doing well at 49 backers so far.

Yup. We were a bit concerned about it, but its working better after the update featuring that tier.

Indie Gamer News on YouTube mentioned Moonlighter in its June 10th episode. There continues to be non-English coverage of the game. A pixel art group on Pintrest mentioned the game which then ended up reblogged on a Tumblr about pixel art. The press release showed up on some bot sites that repost press releases.

This press follow up is really useful. Please keep doing it :D It would be amazing to get some atention from Kotaku and PCGamer again, though.

For within Kickstarter Moonlighter is staying around the 4th to 7th position in popularity.

I think that we've gone further down on popularity these last days... Sad Let's wait for the final sprint.

For new launches, both TRANSMISSION and Kologen were high quality campaigns with slow starts. TRANSMISSION is starting to do much better. Kologen may struggle to get funded, but may be saved by strong word of mouth on social media. Both projects have good potential. Dwindler is an interesting premise about underground miners. For the past few days the campaigns that have been launching are generally very low-effort ones because running during E3 is risky.

Demoniaca: Everlasting Night ends in 32 hours. That project is 96% funded with its second attempt. Fabular ends on June 14th and is just £1,869 from meeting its minimum goal. UBOOT ends in 5 days. SAURIAN ends in 10 days.

That Famicom visual compendium is now 535% funded and growing. ZED from an artist that worked on Myst has started to do better after some good Reddit posts. The Lovecraftian CRPG Stygian is at 70% funded. SAURIAN remains the most active. LUMBERMANCER's succes at 32,703% funded has been a surprise for such a small project. Epic Tavern is at 131% funded. Fable Fortune is potentially at risk of falling out of the top 20. Kinetik's campaign (from the H1Z1 guy) seems to be falling apart.

As always, thanks for your amazing updates!

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: June 15, 2016, 09:22:09 AM »

Your game looks soooo nice! Smiley I'm going to keep an eye on it Wink

Thank you!  Grin

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: June 15, 2016, 09:43:28 AM »

Congrats guys for the crazy-fast 100%! Hand Clap

It seems like the Square thing is working pretty well for you. Hand Thumbs Up Left We were contemplating it before we launched our own campaign but there wasn't a lot of time for us to do a 'pre-campaign'. Maybe next time. Smiley

May I ask if Square helps with any PR or marketing at all during the KS, or all they do is send out a big bunch of e-mails at the campaign start?

Cheers, and please send some of your backers our way sometime next week. Tongue

Hey! I've just read this message!  Droop

For us SQEX has worked fine. It's not just about the pre-campaign, but also thei rsupport during the campaign.  One of their actions is a massive mailing to all the Square Enix community during the first week of the campaign, another one a press release and some Square Enix blogs updates. We've also done another press release and more mailing to our own contact list (of course Square's one is way bigger).

Please, feel free to ask us anything  Grin

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 17, 2016, 11:14:20 PM »

Kickstarter has new features and some slight visual redesigns (such as the search bar moved from the top-center to top-right corner). The two big features are collaborators and itemized rewards.

2,781 backers have pledged $76,684 (191.7%). The average pledge is $27.57 per backer. $3,316 more until the next stretch goal is achieved.

Here are updated graphs:
http://i.imgur.com/FUWHucj.png

Kicktraq shows a trend to $137,313 (343%). BackerTracker shows $107,255 (268%). Kicklytics appears to have broken after the new changes to Kickstarter itself.

Within Kickstarter things have been slow. A chunk of campaigns decided to cancel. Most of the campaigns launching now are low-effort because project creators that do their proper research would avoid launching during E3. A few artistic games with potential did launch, but almost immediately they failed to get traction. Moonlighter has been sticking to the 6th to 8th rank in popularity. UBOOT ends in 8 hours. SAURIAN ends in 5 days. LUMBERMANCER ends in 7 days. Having project titles in all caps seems to be a pattern this month.

External coverage had Gaming On Linux, Gigaloth and the French version of Indie Mag make posts about Moonlighter. There were more coverage from non-English sites. Still no mentions from the biggest video game news sites. Now that the biggest sites are over with E3 it means a greater chance of finally getting coverage from them. Many sites are still doing E3 summaries.

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: June 21, 2016, 06:19:56 AM »

Kickstarter has new features and some slight visual redesigns (such as the search bar moved from the top-center to top-right corner). The two big features are collaborators and itemized rewards.

2,781 backers have pledged $76,684 (191.7%). The average pledge is $27.57 per backer. $3,316 more until the next stretch goal is achieved.

Here are updated graphs:
http://i.imgur.com/FUWHucj.png

Kicktraq shows a trend to $137,313 (343%). BackerTracker shows $107,255 (268%). Kicklytics appears to have broken after the new changes to Kickstarter itself.

Within Kickstarter things have been slow. A chunk of campaigns decided to cancel. Most of the campaigns launching now are low-effort because project creators that do their proper research would avoid launching during E3. A few artistic games with potential did launch, but almost immediately they failed to get traction. Moonlighter has been sticking to the 6th to 8th rank in popularity. UBOOT ends in 8 hours. SAURIAN ends in 5 days. LUMBERMANCER ends in 7 days. Having project titles in all caps seems to be a pattern this month.

External coverage had Gaming On Linux, Gigaloth and the French version of Indie Mag make posts about Moonlighter. There were more coverage from non-English sites. Still no mentions from the biggest video game news sites. Now that the biggest sites are over with E3 it means a greater chance of finally getting coverage from them. Many sites are still doing E3 summaries.

Thanks for your analysis!  Smiley

The new visual features of Kickstarter are great... Too late for us  Sad

Let's see if we get some attention on the last week.

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2016, 10:22:52 PM »

2,892 backers are pledging $77,950 (194.9%). Moonlighter is getting closer to 200% funded.

Here are updated graphs:
http://i.imgur.com/ipyjOQP.png

The $850 tier lost a backer after data collection happened at 21:00PDT.

Things are relatively slow now, but in the last 7 days the campaign should ramp up its momentum again. 11 days remain. It is a good idea to prepare some project update content ahead of time. It can get very busy during the final week.

Kicktraq shows a trend to $115,230 (288%). BackerTracker shows a trend to $96,385 (241%).

About exposure outside Kickstarter.

Indieformer's YouTube channel mentioned Moonlighter at 5 minutes into its June 2016 video for the top 5 games currently on Kickstarter. TechRaptor had an interview. Some non-English pixel art community mentioned the game.

What many bloggers want is "new" news. The event of Moonlighter launching on Kickstarter is technically "old" news. Moonlighter reaching its goal so soon has also become old news. Some new talking point may be needed to give bloggers something to work with. Brainstorming talking points for press can be one of the hardest parts of marketing a game. While small and medium sized blogs may regurgitate press release content, the larger blogs often want to be able to explore a topic. A campaign entering the last 48 hours is something a blogger could latch onto.

Mighty No. 9 released on some platforms. It has stirred up a bunch on anti-Kickstarter feelings in many gamers right now. The mediocre rated reviews are coming in. Even the execution of sending out codes had problems.

About within Kickstarter.

Moonlighter is currently 8th in popularity for the video games category. SAURIAN will end in 37 hours.

Fable Fortune's campaign was canceled. Its graphs look painful.
http://i.imgur.com/ORWQs5i.png
They never fixed the huge gap between the £40 and £80 tiers. The £1,000 tier and beyond never saw activity. After June 15th a growing problem was angry backers complaining about serious lack of communication from the dev team. The rewards structure could be described as rotting from the pledge downgrading that was happening.

There was a sudden burst of high quality campaigns launching on Tuesday. Wizard of Legend has some good pixel art. There was also a flood of really low-effort projects.

June 29th is the scheduled launch on System Shock Remastered. That will hopefully bring in lots of traffic to the platform.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2016, 03:12:46 AM »

following. good luck!

play hydlide 2
ogat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2016, 04:21:03 AM »

This looks really cool! I love the animation in the environment especially!

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: June 22, 2016, 04:35:34 AM »

This looks really cool! I love the animation in the environment especially!
following. good luck!

Thank you :D

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: June 22, 2016, 10:47:46 AM »

2,892 backers are pledging $77,950 (194.9%). Moonlighter is getting closer to 200% funded.

Here are updated graphs:
http://i.imgur.com/ipyjOQP.png

The $850 tier lost a backer after data collection happened at 21:00PDT.

Things are relatively slow now, but in the last 7 days the campaign should ramp up its momentum again. 11 days remain. It is a good idea to prepare some project update content ahead of time. It can get very busy during the final week.

Kicktraq shows a trend to $115,230 (288%). BackerTracker shows a trend to $96,385 (241%).

Indieformer's YouTube channel mentioned Moonlighter at 5 minutes into its June 2016 video for the top 5 games currently on Kickstarter. TechRaptor had an interview. Some non-English pixel art community mentioned the game.

What many bloggers want is "new" news. The event of Moonlighter launching on Kickstarter is technically "old" news. Moonlighter reaching its goal so soon has also become old news. Some new talking point may be needed to give bloggers something to work with. Brainstorming talking points for press can be one of the hardest parts of marketing a game. While small and medium sized blogs may regurgitate press release content, the larger blogs often want to be able to explore a topic. A campaign entering the last 48 hours is something a blogger could latch onto.

Mighty No. 9 released on some platforms. It has stirred up a bunch on anti-Kickstarter feelings in many gamers right now. The mediocre rated reviews are coming in. Even the execution of sending out codes had problems.

Moonlighter is currently 8th in popularity for the video games category. SAURIAN will end in 37 hours.

Fable Fortune's campaign was canceled. Its graphs look painful.
http://i.imgur.com/ORWQs5i.png
They never fixed the huge gap between the £40 and £80 tiers. The £1,000 tier and beyond never saw activity. After June 15th a growing problem was angry backers complaining about serious lack of communication from the dev team. The rewards structure could be described as rotting from the pledge downgrading that was happening.

There was a sudden burst of high quality campaigns launching on Tuesday. Wizard of Legend has some good pixel art. There was also a flood of really low-effort projects.

June 29th is the scheduled launch on System Shock Remastered. That will hopefully bring in lots of traffic to the platform.

Thanks for your analysis! We're preparing all for the last week... Some news quick: A raffle of a portrait to all our thunderclap supporters, planning an AMA and evaluating the video.

We'll keep you all updated. Sorry, we're very focused right now on the campaign Smiley

Link to the update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalsun/moonlighter/posts/1608918

jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: June 22, 2016, 01:05:18 PM »

A little late to the party but this game looks fantastic. Congratulations on being funded!

Composer & Sound Designer
www.jordanchinmusic.com
DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: June 23, 2016, 07:17:11 AM »

A little late to the party but this game looks fantastic. Congratulations on being funded!

Thanks!  Grin

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 24, 2016, 11:38:56 PM »

3,063 backers have pledged $81,966 (204.9%).

Steam's Summer Sale 2016 appeared. Like E3 it ends up as another distraction away from checking Kickstarter for indie gamers. There is also the increased spending of disposable income. It is just another reason for Kickstarter campaigns to be careful about running in June. The sale will end on July 4th. Moonlighter is schedule to end on July 3rd.

Here are updated graphs:
http://i.imgur.com/NEeebXS.png

June 22nd shows a net decrease in the total amount pledged. Last time I posted in this thread a backer had already left the $850 tier. A backer also later left the $500 tier. I see Moonlighter is one of the few campaigns currently being tracked by StatBackr. Using the bottom adjustable bar on StatBackr I was able to find that drop in total pledged for early June 22nd. The campaign suddenly went from about $78,755 down to $77,880 (A $875 difference). This site can toggle lines for the project updates onto the graph. The $500 tier backer appears to have left right after a project update. I could speculate that backer was reminded the campaign existed by the project update. In the past some project creators notice pulled pledges happening right after an update hit backers' e-mail inboxes.

Good news is that the shape of the $15 tier shows the campaign momentum is starting to take off again. Then the last 48 hours should hopefully see a big spike in new backers when the reminder e-mails get sent out.

Between the $25 and $40 reward tiers is the best candidate for where to insert a new reward tier, but since the campaign is already overfunded that doesn't have to be a concern.

BackerTracker currently shows a trend to $97,587 (244%). Kicktraq shows $107,062 (267%). Back near the campaign's launch I felt it was going to do around $70,000. Moonlighter has done much better than expected. If Moonlighter ends up surpassing $100,000 in pledges on Kickstarter that would be a significant achievement. The stats section on Kickstarter shows that of the 107,927 successfully funded Kickstarter projects there have been only 3,124 that raised more than $100,000.

About external coverage.

The Golden Cartridge covered Moonlighter again. GameLove covered Moonlighter in its Kickstarter round-up post yesterday. It looks like there was a tweet by a level designer for a Wakfu game. A discussion thread appeared on StroneHearth's forums. Gaming Cypher mentioned Moonlighter was active on Kickstarter when it did a round-up post for active Square Enix Collective campaigns.

3 days remain for the Thunderclap campaign. It is over its minimum sign-up goal. Contests on Kickstarter get confusing. Reward tiers themselves are not allowed to use raffles. Involving money like "get 1 entry for each dollar your pledge" would put Kickstarter itself in a weird legal area with questions around gambling regulations. Campaigns could get really scammy like a $1 tier raffling a $100 priced gadget. Since participating in a Thunderclap campaign doesn't require money it could get by. I remember the adventure game Lily Looking Through had to stop its raffle for a set of goggles like the protagonist wears. Contests of skill have worked on Kickstarter, like highscores in a demo or fan art contests where backers vote on the best print to become the t-shirt design.

Different subreddits have different rules, but the ones that do allow Kickstarter projects sometimes allow a second post after the last 48 hours has begun. A final batch of reminder e-mails to bloggers gets sent out. There is the opportunity to write an article about the experience of running a Collective then a Kickstarter campaign. The article would then be posted to a gamedev-related social media group or a gamedev-related site like Gamasutra for some traffic.

Moonlighter has been hovering around 5th and 6th in popularity ranking for the category.

System Shock Remastered campaign launching on June 29th. Polygon just had another pre-launch marketing post for that game. Earlier this year the campaign for OVERLOAD used a rare but very successful tactic of getting the Kickstarter demo onto Steam. Apparently the System Shock Remastered devs will have a similar demo on both Steam and GOG on launch day.

Ikenfell (currently 1st ranked) and Wizard of Legend (ranked 2nd) are the new campaigns getting attention. They should do well. Buck had an okay start and should get funded eventually. A book for SNES game collectors quickly raised over $18,000. Eldet reached its minimum goal. There is then a bunch of projects with some traction, but not enough to provide a decent guarantee of reaching their minimum funding goals. June is such a tough month.

Many of the campaigns that launched in late-May and early-June are starting to end if they hadn't already canceled or ran for a shorter length than 30 days. When they finish I look over them for signs of E3 slowdown. I'm trying to pay closer attention this year than other years.
http://i.imgur.com/qWhscSY.png [Gotta Go] $5 tier
http://i.imgur.com/kP9y2rU.png [Undead Darlings] $13 tier
http://i.imgur.com/IiBiPKa.png [Victus Game] £7 tier
http://i.imgur.com/mAIJZIP.png [UBOOT] $15 tier
Every month there are campaigns that flatline in momentum (they can fail at marketing, not have good enough launches or just be outright unappealing), but the 4 above examples are finished campaigns that weren't stalled before E3 was happening and then had a stumble in momentum. Even Moonlighter's graph for the $15 tier showed a bit of a stumble around June 13th.

LUMBERMANCER has less than 9 hours remaining. Epic Tavern ends in 3 days. GREEDY GUNS ends in 5 days. Canard PC Online ends in 5 days. ZED ends in 6 days. Stygian ends in 6 days. The Famicom visual compendium ends in 6 days. There are around 40 (about 2 pages of 20 projects per page) other projects ending within the next 8 days that are stalled out or never gained traction. Those are not expected to be any serious competition in the rankings.

The first week of July will arrive and the project category should see a wave of fresh new campaigns. There may also be a wave of new strong campaigns next week from project creators that were postponing until E3 was over. They may get impatient about waiting until the new month begins.

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: June 26, 2016, 02:48:18 PM »

Wow, I believe a congrats is in order for your expedient ks campaign. So excited to see what you'll accomplish now : )

Screen Head Media
Level 0

Digital games in all shapes and sizes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2016, 10:30:26 AM »

What can I say, this game looks awesome!

Really nice pixel art style, great concept (cool combination of action adventure and trading sim) and overall a really good and professional impression.

Keep up the good work and make this game as awesome as it looks already Smiley
LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2016, 10:47:55 PM »

3,229 backers are currently pledging $85,920 (214.8%). 5 days are left in the campaign.

Here are updated graphs:
http://i.imgur.com/cI4KCyT.png

The campaign is leaving the Kickstarter trough phase. The last week can get very busy.

The $25 reward tier is starting to do better. It's percentage of the total allocated funding (the 4th graph) has been increasing.

The number of new comments has been low for the last 4 days.

I like the stretch goal charts's glow effect for the open chests of achieved goals. The golden lamp secret boss stretch goal is next.

A GameFAQs thread of the Kickstarter campaigns supporting PS4 was updated. Le catalogue d'idées on Pintrest had 3 images from Moonlighter pinned. There were posts about Moonlighter on Superindie.io and the Made With Unity blog. One of the Children of Zodiarcs staff tweeted about Moonlighter.

Project update #11 announced the time for a Reddit AMA thread.

Moonlighters is currently ranked 4th in popularity. Ikenfell is 1st. Wizard of Legend is 2nd. Epic Tavern is 3rd and it ends within 12 hours.

A retro-Japanese-SHMUP-homage called Xydonia launched and achieved traction on Monday. Most of the projects launching this week so far have failed to gain significant traction, but most of those projects were low-effort ones.

A metriodvania starring a frog protagonist called Mongrel announced a June 29th Kickstarter launch date. It would be a second attempt. The first Kickstarter campaign raised 98.83% in 2015. It was 88% funded when it was 100 minutes from its goal. Since then it made it through Steam Greenlight.

There was new gameplay footage for the upcoming System Shock project uploaded on Monday. It is no longer calling itself "Remastered" to avoid confusion about being a remake. Unlike Fable Fortune's lukewarm response to its pre-launch marketing, many frequent Kickstarter backers are getting hyped.

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 30, 2016, 10:23:56 PM »

4,410 backers have pledged $113,394 (283.5%). $6,606 more until the next stretch goal is achieved.

Here are updated graphs:
http://i.imgur.com/7Ysez4u.png

A large wave of 1,118 new backers appeared over the last 2 days. That is approximately a quarter of the current total number of backers.

The reminder e-mails about Moonlighter's last 48 hours period will be sent in about 50 minutes from this post. This means those reminders aren't the source of the surge. It also means those reminder messages to people that starred the campaign may produce another surge.

The new $65 tier already has 3 backers. A $400 tier was added.

The $850 tier lost another backer. The $230 tier also declined.

The $15 and $25 tiers are getting picked more frequently. The average pledge has decreased to $25.70 per backer. The $40 is doing well. Other tiers are also seeing increased activity. Things look are looking good.

Bitly shows a bunch of project shortlink clicks on June 27th to 29th.

BackerTracker shows a trend to $115,797 (289.5%). Kicktraq shows $123,445 (308%). How far the campaign goes is now more up to how much social media presence and coverage from sites it gets. Hitting the $130,000 stretch goal is fairly possible.

About external exposure.

On Wednesday posts were made on Gaming Illuminaughty, VANDAL, More Stuff Like, The Huh? and Freeplaying.it about Moonlighter ending soon. The Square Enix Collective tweeted and then posted about the campaign on Facebook again. Some German language crowdfunding threads saw activity. The Thunderclap campaign's message was broadcasted over social media by 262 supporters.

The Reddit AMA thread achieved over 50 comments. Many people are still confused that Square Enix Collective campaigns don't fund the game. Other Collective campaigns also get similar questions. Overall the answers were handled well. A post on /r/IndieGaming appeared about Moonlighter crossing the $100,000 threshold.

On Thursday there was another press release which was reposted to various sites by bots. Gamezone.de, develop-online.net, Gamekyo, JeuxVideo, VideoGameNews.de and El Píxel Ilustre posted about Moonlighter.

Moonlighter was able to take the 2nd rank in popularity on Wednesday behind System Shock's 1st place. It has stayed the same since then. ZED and Stygian keeping around the 3rd and 4th positions as they are both ending very very soon.

The Famicom visual compendium's campaign that had consistently been ranked in the top 4 has disappeared due to a DMCA takedown from Nintendo. The campaign was at £176,787 (707.1% of its £25,000 goal) with less than 48 hours left. It is possible for a campaign takedown to be reversed and then the campaign would resume with the same amount of hours remaining on the countdown that it had the moment of the takedown. It is one of the few things that can move a campaign's end date backwards and can mess up scheduling. It happened to Vanguard V's campaign which ended shifting the deadline so it ended on a Saturday.

System Shock wasn't the only campaign drawing traffic to the category. I'm seeing a lot of shout-outs for Stygian.

Some struggling campaigns have been given a fresh wind.
TRANSMISSON saw a boost the same day that System Shock launched.
http://i.imgur.com/JTQDg1A.png
Kologeon's campaign may have been saved by a Jim Sterling video.
http://i.imgur.com/M5ojOHB.png
Fictorum's campaign suddenly came alive by reaching the frontpage of Imgur with a GIF.
http://i.imgur.com/YvJIjIr.png

There were also the campaigns that ended.
Epic Tavern was able to raise 171% of its goal.
http://i.imgur.com/ygSuLiN.png
GREEDY GUNS ended with 116%.
http://i.imgur.com/GwfmwQE.png

In the footer for Kickstarter you may have seen the "New" tag next to a link to Kickstarter Drip. It is a way to subscribe to indie musicians. There may be future potential for video game music composers to use that platform.

About finalizing the project page.

When the campaign deadline hits parts of the project page can no longer be changed by the project creator. Archiving pages avoids potential problems like a project creator editing the description of a reward on the project page months later. There are so many campaigns with "Final 24 hours" or "Last day" plastered on their thumbnails. Double-check the project page is how you would like to leave it before the deadline hits.

At the very end there is the option of relocating the stretch goal chart lower and relocating social media links higher. Some campaigns will add a celebration image.

A successful campaign gets the spotlight section added. It's a background banner, another project thumbnail image (using a transparent PNG background can look really cool) and a button with text and a destination that you decide. It is a way of redirecting people who visit the Kickstarter campaign after the deadline. Fabular's spotlight points to its official website as an example.

Some projects will redirect to a place where "slacker backers" that just missed the campaign can still support the game through options like a PayPal cart or the Humble Store widget embedded on the official site. You don't even need to offer all the reward tier options on a slacker backer page.

Don't forget there is the option to post updates on places like the Greenlight or IndieDB pages before the last day so followers there can be reminded to take a look if the campaign has reached its final stretch goal.

DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: July 01, 2016, 01:39:17 AM »

4,410 backers have pledged $113,394 (283.5%). $6,606 more until the next stretch goal is achieved.

Here are updated graphs:
http://i.imgur.com/7Ysez4u.png

A large wave of 1,118 new backers appeared over the last 2 days. That is approximately a quarter of the current total number of backers.

The reminder e-mails about Moonlighter's last 48 hours period will be sent in about 50 minutes from this post. This means those reminders aren't the source of the surge. It also means those reminder messages to people that starred the campaign may produce another surge.

The new $65 tier already has 3 backers. A $400 tier was added.

The $850 tier lost another backer. The $230 tier also declined.

The $15 and $25 tiers are getting picked more frequently. The average pledge has decreased to $25.70 per backer. The $40 is doing well. Other tiers are also seeing increased activity. Things look are looking good.

Bitly shows a bunch of project shortlink clicks on June 27th to 29th.

BackerTracker shows a trend to $115,797 (289.5%). Kicktraq shows $123,445 (308%). How far the campaign goes is now more up to how much social media presence and coverage from sites it gets. Hitting the $130,000 stretch goal is fairly possible.

About external exposure.

On Wednesday posts were made on Gaming Illuminaughty, VANDAL, More Stuff Like, The Huh? and Freeplaying.it about Moonlighter ending soon. The Square Enix Collective tweeted and then posted about the campaign on Facebook again. Some German language crowdfunding threads saw activity. The Thunderclap campaign's message was broadcasted over social media by 262 supporters.

The Reddit AMA thread achieved over 50 comments. Many people are still confused that Square Enix Collective campaigns don't fund the game. Other Collective campaigns also get similar questions. Overall the answers were handled well. A post on /r/IndieGaming appeared about Moonlighter crossing the $100,000 threshold.

On Thursday there was another press release which was reposted to various sites by bots. Gamezone.de, develop-online.net, Gamekyo, JeuxVideo, VideoGameNews.de and El Píxel Ilustre posted about Moonlighter.

Moonlighter was able to take the 2nd rank in popularity on Wednesday behind System Shock's 1st place. It has stayed the same since then. ZED and Stygian keeping around the 3rd and 4th positions as they are both ending very very soon.

The Famicom visual compendium's campaign that had consistently been ranked in the top 4 has disappeared due to a DMCA takedown from Nintendo. The campaign was at £176,787 (707.1% of its £25,000 goal) with less than 48 hours left. It is possible for a campaign takedown to be reversed and then the campaign would resume with the same amount of hours remaining on the countdown that it had the moment of the takedown. It is one of the few things that can move a campaign's end date backwards and can mess up scheduling. It happened to Vanguard V's campaign which ended shifting the deadline so it ended on a Saturday.

System Shock wasn't the only campaign drawing traffic to the category. I'm seeing a lot of shout-outs for Stygian.

Some struggling campaigns have been given a fresh wind.
TRANSMISSON saw a boost the same day that System Shock launched.
http://i.imgur.com/JTQDg1A.png
Kologeon's campaign may have been saved by a Jim Sterling video.
http://i.imgur.com/M5ojOHB.png
Fictorum's campaign suddenly came alive by reaching the frontpage of Imgur with a GIF.
http://i.imgur.com/YvJIjIr.png

There were also the campaigns that ended.
Epic Tavern was able to raise 171% of its goal.
http://i.imgur.com/ygSuLiN.png
GREEDY GUNS ended with 116%.
http://i.imgur.com/GwfmwQE.png

In the footer for Kickstarter you may have seen the "New" tag next to a link to Kickstarter Drip. It is a way to subscribe to indie musicians. There may be future potential for video game music composers to use that platform.

About finalizing the project page.

When the campaign deadline hits parts of the project page can no longer be changed by the project creator. Archiving pages avoids potential problems like a project creator editing the description of a reward on the project page months later. There are so many campaigns with "Final 24 hours" or "Last day" plastered on their thumbnails. Double-check the project page is how you would like to leave it before the deadline hits.

At the very end there is the option of relocating the stretch goal chart lower and relocating social media links higher. Some campaigns will add a celebration image.

A successful campaign gets the spotlight section added. It's a background banner, another project thumbnail image (using a transparent PNG background can look really cool) and a button with text and a destination that you decide. It is a way of redirecting people who visit the Kickstarter campaign after the deadline. Fabular's spotlight points to its official website as an example.

Some projects will redirect to a place where "slacker backers" that just missed the campaign can still support the game through options like a PayPal cart or the Humble Store widget embedded on the official site. You don't even need to offer all the reward tier options on a slacker backer page.

Don't forget there is the option to post updates on places like the Greenlight or IndieDB pages before the last day so followers there can be reminded to take a look if the campaign has reached its final stretch goal.

As always, thank you so much for your amazing insight!

We are already preparing the end of the campaign with a "thank you" message (and we are, indeed, SO grateful) and also activating some last time communities like Greenlight... let's see the effect of the 48h email and if we are lucky enough to get covered by some large press (looks like it won't be the case Sad ).

Cheers!

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 04, 2016, 12:23:33 AM »

6 hours before its campaign deadline Moonlighter had surpassed its last remaining stretch goal of $130,000. Congratulations.

Moonlighter's Kickstarter campaign ended very successfully with 5,229 backers pledging $134,276 (335.7%).

Here are the final graphs:
http://i.imgur.com/Q7bhWZF.png

The highest priced reward tier to receive any backers was the $850 tier and there is less than $2,000 in unallocated funds that can't be traced to specific reward tiers. Moonlighter was able to raise more than $100,000 in pledges and it did so without relying on very large backers or a mysteriously large unallocated funding amount like many medium to large campaigns often do. That is impressive from my perspective. Together the $15 and $25 tiers provided approximately 57% of the funding.

About exposure outside of Kickstarter.

There wasn't Kickstarter campaign coverage from big news sites, but there was a bunch of tweets for various game developers. Twitter was an area where Moonlighter did well. There was also some tumblr activity. IndieGameRiot had embedded the campaign widgets for Moonlighter, ZED, Styian and Epic Tavern. Canard PC's official forums had a thread for supporting active Kickstarter campaigns that mentioned Moonlighter. There was also a thread on HardForum (a PC hardware review site).

Moonlighter had some decent German-language coverage of the campaign's final day. There were German sites and forums.

An Imgur gallery post achieved over 730 views and 165 points.

System Shock held onto the 1st rank in popularity. Moonlighter was strong in 2nd. Kologeon was 3rd after its revitalized campaign. The English-localization of Sharin no Kuni was in 4th.

Moonlighter did well on Saturday even though Saturdays are generally slow.

ZED ended at 119% funded.
http://i.imgur.com/cwbjJfJ.png
Stygian ended with 134% of its minimum goal.
http://i.imgur.com/GELBPdV.png

There was a shout-out in project update for Soul Saga which shares the same composer as Moonlighter. Another shout-out was in a project update for Kologeon.

I'll prepare a post later about backers surveys. Right now there isn't a hurry to survey the backers.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic