Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:33:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Open source tools
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Open source tools  (Read 3467 times)
studio13
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2007, 05:45:19 AM »

I hope to make and eventually sell games. What about making my prototypes with all open source tools ? Can I use open source tools to build prototypes and then turn around and release a product based on that work ? Tools like: Blender / Ogre / Pd.

I realize this also depends on my production pipeline and the "platform" I would be making the final games for.
Thanks
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 06:08:23 AM »

I am not a lawyer, but I think it's fine. I believe you may have to include the license and access to the source code (i.e. include the readme) for all shipped binaries that are released under the GPL. I am not too familiar with the LGPL, the terms may be different for that... I'm just starting out with Open Source software myself so I haven't learned the ropes yet.

studio13
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 05:06:47 PM »

from the http://blenderartists.org FAQ
=================================================

Q. Am i aloud to sell my games?

A. Of course you can sell anything you make in blender, you could even sell blender. (pretty pointless though, seeing hows its free Tongue)

=================================================
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 05:26:33 PM »

Nice - yeah, I figured it's fine with assets created by these apps, but with engine code you will probably have to include the license/link to the source code etc. That's ok though imo.

From the OGRE License page
Under the LGPL you may use Ogre for any purpose you wish, as long as you:

1. Release any modifications to the OGRE source back to the community
   2. Pass on the source to Ogre with all the copyrights intact, or link back to a place where the source code can be obtained (e.g. this site)
   3. Make it clear where you have customised it.

The above is a precis, please do read the full license agreement.
There are a few specific details to point out:

1. When OGRE is dynamically linked (the default), anything you use it in is not a derived work and thus you can license your own software under any license you choose; the LGPL does not 'infect' your software.
   2. When OGRE is statically linked, your work becomes a derived work of OGRE and is covered by the LGPL too. You must either release your source, or include linkable object files of your work if you do this
   3. The license mentions 'inlining' as potentially making the software using it a derived work; however this is mostly an issue for libraries which mostly comprise headers, like template libraries. Inlining in OGRE is entirely for performance and is a small part of the whole, and therefore any inlining of OGRE headers does not constitute a derived work (so point 1 still applies).

A common question is 'can I create commercial applications using OGRE under the LGPL'? The answer is an emphatic yes, provided you adhere to the license conditions, summarised above. Whilst we do make an alternative license available to those who specifically need it, it is not the case that you need this alternative license for commercial work. There are plenty of commercial applications that have used OGRE under the LGPL.

All my emphasis.

studio13
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 05:58:16 PM »

Just wanted to add thataltough not open source Max/Msp says :
================
Q: I would like to sell my standalone application o  plug-in. May I do that
A : Yes. Macintosh applications and plug-ins made with MaxMSP may be freely sold and distributed.
=================
Movius
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 10:14:57 PM »

Anything outputted from (L)GPL (I'm assuming this is the open source license in question) tools isn't generally covered by the (L)GPL. So you can do what ever you want with it.

If you're actually using GPL'd code it's a different matter. But if it's a prototype and not something you're distributing to others you should be able to do whatever you want with it anyway.

At least thats my experience working with these things anyway.
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 05:19:35 AM »

Movius must have forgotten to mention that for LGPL, you must only ensure the library is dynamically linked and that you distribute changes made to the library. You do not need to release your game's source.

Movius
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 06:42:26 AM »

This is true. My point though was if he's only protoyping and the prototype is not to be distributed to anyone else then he doesn't need to distribute any source at all.

if the work 'based' on this prototype doesn't contain any of the code from the prototype, than you're free to do whatever with it.
studio13
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 12:42:49 PM »

This helps alot guys thanks
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic