Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:10:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGoldenEye 2D (now with download link)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: GoldenEye 2D (now with download link)  (Read 38177 times)
Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 17, 2007, 09:11:46 AM »

Hey. Thought I'd share some screens of a project me and a chum are working on. It's a remake of GoldenEye 64... sort've. We're making it for some competition that ends tomorrow, so I'll be able to post the finished game then.

It'll only be 1 level though, the Dam. It plays like any other 2D shoot 'em up: You run right and shoot stuff. We have a nice gun gimmick: Every time you kill a bad guy, you gain experience, when you get enough, you level your gun up. You can level up through 5 stages, each stage gives you a different gun from the GoldenEye 64 game.

DOWNLOAD

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 01:19:40 AM by Grindie » Logged

WWW.ZOMBIESAURUSGAMES.COM
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 09:39:39 AM »

de-make!
looks very very cute.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 09:53:49 AM »

Def cute!  Love the gameboy styling.  Do want!

cup full of magic charisma
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 10:11:44 AM »

Looks crazy. Smiley Love the mountains/buildings/characters. :D

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 12:03:47 PM »

Post the game as soon as possible! Wink It looks great!

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 12:43:06 PM »

Hey just wanted to let you know your idea inspired the current round of the Mockup Frenzy activity at pixelation Smiley  Can't wait to play it!

Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 01:25:52 PM »

Thanks for the comments, lads. Hah! Our little ol' game inspired a pixel art contest! Excellent.

We're adding missions and scoring to the game now. I'll post a link up when it's finished tomorrow.

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 11:02:06 PM »

oop! Looks hot :D Totally want to play this.
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 03:57:09 AM »

Well, it's tomorrow for me, can -I- have it now?  Grin
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 08:41:50 AM »

Well, it's tomorrow for me, can -I- have it now?  Grin

Ditto!!  give give give give give

Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 11:04:31 AM »

Bisse (the coder guy) is still working on it. technically, we have until midnight tonight.

How about some new screens?

I don't think the Gameboy style frame will be in the game though. Bisse says it would take too much time to do. Something about everything being on layer 0 and having to rename it all so the frame is on layer 0 and everything else is on layer 1. Hell, I dunno, I'm just the graphics guy.

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 11:31:04 AM »

Am I wrong or is the level 5 gun not the golden gun? D:

Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 12:30:58 PM »

Am I wrong or is the level 5 gun not the golden gun? D:

You're wrong. It's BETTER! Well, better in the world of GoldenEye 2D.

EDIT: Here's the download link.

I just tested the completed game out msyelf and noticed a lot of slowdown. Can you guys report back and tell me if the same happens to you?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 01:18:49 AM by Grindie » Logged

Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 02:26:21 AM »

Argh! I take it that sub-boss has an insta-kill attack? Sneaky little...*grumble*

Anyways, it's a very nice little game, and yes the Level 5 weapon is definitely better than the golden gun here. My one gripe with it so far was that stupidly even though I thought about it at the time, the thing with the bungee I wasn't expecting to happen there, and I wasn't quite ready to throw myself off it (Fission Mailed!). I guess an 'Exit' thing would've been kind of over the top, but it cut me a little short. Also, I seem to have only beaten that subboss once. He is a bastard!

I played it with the keyboard and then the gamepad, for your regular 'Laptop doesn't like me pressing three-keys at once' scenarios, and it worked fine that way, although my buttons mapped out so that button one was my bottom face-button (A on the 360 controller) so.. where I would normally try to jump I opened up a pause menu. Damn fun game though, glad to DD44's made it in, I used to cheat on the 64 version just to be able to run amok with a pair of them through anywhere I could. The music was nice too, and I felt a little slowdown initially but it seemed to disappear forever so no problems there. So yeah, the only things that annoyed me were accidentally prematurely ending (and failing) the level, and the cheapness of that little hat-loving runt! I may need to take a shotgun to his jugular in moment. Great work though, and good luck!
Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 02:52:57 AM »

Aye. The controller layout is the opposite for me. I'm using a PS1 pad. Button 1 and 2 are tiangle and circle, so I nagged Bisse to change it. I asked him to implement some sort of custom config or different control types to choose from, but the deadline was last night.

I was having some issues with slowdown and when I start the game for the first time, there was already a high score on the title screen (anyone else get this?). I'm gonna nag Bisse to fix these things and maybe make the boss a bit easier (not Oddjob, the other one).

I'll keep you guys updated.

Oh yeah, what ranks did you get?

.TakaM
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 03:17:54 AM »

when I start it up I get this error:
Code:
for object oCutGunbarrel:

In script scrKeyProcess:
Error in code at line 15:
           rkey[__i] = key[__i]

at position 22: Unknown variable key

it looks really fun Sad
Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 03:59:22 AM »

when I start it up I get this error:
Code:
for object oCutGunbarrel:

In script scrKeyProcess:
Error in code at line 15:
           rkey[__i] = key[__i]

at position 22: Unknown variable key

it looks really fun Sad

How very insane! I'll get onto Bisse about it. Never noticed anything like that myself.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 07:11:53 AM »

Great job!  A few things that might make it slightly more accessible (if that is of interest to you!):

1 - Shrink the hitboxes by a pixel or two.  Not much, just to prevent the occasional frustrating "grazed your hair" or "nicked your shoe" type hits.  Maybe check and make sure the bullets have either round hitboxes or very small square ones?  The experience system is cool, but when you combine it with the pretty strict hitboxes I found it hard on my first couple playthroughs to maintain even the DD44!  Then again, maybe I just suck...

Actually that's about it Tongue  Not sure if GM will let you do that or not, but I think it would elevate this from neat to eminently playable.

Finally, very nice work, the music is really fun and evocative and nostalgic, the graphics do a very good job.  OH that reminds me!  The other thing I thought would be nice would be to have the enemies flash or change animation when they get hit.  It was confusing to me at first, there were some areas where I thought my bullets were hitting a crate or something instead of the enemy, when in fact I was on target and doing fine.

Ok that's it!  Fun, nostalgic, great work!

Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 07:49:36 AM »

1 - Shrink the hitboxes by a pixel or two.  Not much, just to prevent the occasional frustrating "grazed your hair" or "nicked your shoe" type hits.  Maybe check and make sure the bullets have either round hitboxes or very small square ones?  The experience system is cool, but when you combine it with the pretty strict hitboxes I found it hard on my first couple playthroughs to maintain even the DD44!  Then again, maybe I just suck...

Nah! You just suck. Heh! I was the exact same the first few play throughs, now I can get to Jaws without taking a hit. It's retro in every way. The punishing "do it again and again until you do it right!" mentality is intentional. It's more rewarding to complete a hard game.

But the hair grasing thing, don't think it ever happened to me, but I'll let Bisse know about this and the enemy hit flashes. Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: The game's been updated. Jaws is easier, there's an "EXIT" sign at the bungee jump bit and the slowdown problem I was having is fixed.

We're working on another update aswell. This one will have secrets.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 10:13:04 AM by Grindie » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 04:23:42 PM »

The game's lovely, the graphics are awesome, and the music is pretty good too. The gameplay is pretty fun, and I had no problems with it. Though I think you guys could have tried to implement more of the 'Bond-style' into the game, with some stealth bits and stuff. Right now it's a lot like Bond was thrown inside the Contra world. Not that that's all that bad.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic