Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 05:32:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLet's DIE! retro 360 shooter. (previously zombie game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Let's DIE! retro 360 shooter. (previously zombie game)  (Read 2632 times)
siegarettes
Level 0

new week, new persona

View Profile WWW
« on: March 18, 2009, 06:54:28 PM »

Hand Fork Left   Evil  Hand Knife Right  Shocked
DOWNLOAD HERE:
+NEW REVIVAL VERSION!+
http://www.mediafire.com/?qfrog2rmmjy

during the project i've been working on gameplay as opposed to graphics, so it doesn't look the prettiest, but i promise you'll have a good time.
EDIT:i've been working on it quite a bit, took in some suggestions, as well as added a lot of new content. most of the changes are minor gameplay fixes, but they really help the flow of the game.

Noir welcome to the world of the zombies. where the dead never stay dead, and survivors don't survive long. all in beautiful low resolution. good luck.
screenshot gallery below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iconstylestudios/sets/72157623219601737/

------------------------------------------------------------------------
controls (vary with each character, check readme for more):
ESC:close game
0: reset game
WASD: move
left click: primary
right click: alternate
middle click/F: knife/tertiary
SPACE:'action' key. opens orange doors, breaks wood doors, pushes zombies away.
Q: "STAY!"
E: "FOLLOW"
F1: other stuff
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blink Features:
+zombies! and lots of 'em
+DIE SYSTEM: randomizes elements for more dynamic play. items will appear in different places or paths will open up on different playthroughs.
+5 distinct playable characters, including the superhuman from Robotron 2084!
+multiple objectives
+3 different zombie types, regular, rusher, and crasher.
+breakable walls! (shoot or stab 'em or break 'em down)
+unbreakable doors (slam 'em on zombies!)
+pixelated gibs, gore, and blood!
+arcade style gameplay!
+story mode!:biglaff:
+SLIME MODE! Replace all zombies with slimes for a change of pace and some laffs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey. some feedback would be nice. thanks.

6.5 megs
.exe file
made with gamemaker
playable on XP and higher
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 12:39:52 PM by MercuryBlind » Logged

siegarettes
Level 0

new week, new persona

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 01:49:37 AM »

new version is out with major updates. i hate to beg, but i would really appreciate some feedback from the good people of TIGSource. even if it is after just 10 minutes of playing the game.

also AuthenticKaizen was kind enough to throw me in the "Promisingly Good Freeware Games" thread after playing the game on YoYoGames. he also put up some great pics and a gameplay vid:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2884.msg180773;topicseen#msg180773

undertech
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 09:22:11 AM »

It would be nice if you didn't get stuck in the walls when moving against them. Last thing I need is to stop dead with a dozen zombies on my tail because I nicked a wall.
Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 05:29:05 AM »

Some thoughts:

For a similar top-down zombie shooter, you might like to take a look at Left 4K Dead.

Massacre not 'massacure', unless it's a cunning play on words.

There's a nice tutorial here for screen scaling in GM whilst avoiding the blurring that your game has, which will help make the graphics 'crisper.'

The character with machinegun, knife and shotgun as weapons:
Machinegun never needs reloading so I just stood next to a corner holding the mouse button until no more zombies came.  The shotgun seems to fail - gaggle of zombies in my face and some of the shots just passed through them (I'd suspect the particles are moving so fast that they never intersect with the zombies).  Even if it continues to have infinite ammo, adding a need to reload the machinegun would add some pacing and use for the knife in combat.

Character with shotgun and grenades:
Shotgun stops me just holding down fire and walking around with a laser beam of instant death, which is good!  Grenades are almost useful, could do with being thrown further maybe?  Need a reason to use them instead of the shotgun which has a similar area-killing effect.  Huge problem is his shotgun bullets bounce off solid walls and kill me.

'Fast' character:
He runs fast because.. he's from Kenya and Nigeria?  Undecided
His main weapon seems to be, I don't know?  A short-range shotgun?  When firing he gets slowed down, which pretty much removes his advantage.  Can't work out what happens when I press his 'knife' button - places some kind of marker?  His teleport ability doesn't go far enough for me to want to use it instead of just running.

The controls make it seem like the player gains companions later, but I didn't get that far into the story.

Some of the interface screens are confusing.  Like left-clicking to read a description of the character and pressing Return to select him.  Also the "level select" screen in arcade mode - I guess there will be images representing the levels there eventually?  Generally mixing mouse and keyboard controls for the interface makes it more confusing than it need be.

I think it would benefit greatly from adding a need to reload your weapon.  This will give the game a rhythm:  Shoot zombies, run/hide whilst reloading, shoot more zombies.  A very effective way of showing ammo are graphics on the HUD representing the bullets remaining in your magazine.  That can also help show what type of weapon you're using.

This seems to be sounding rather negative, I didn't mean it to!  I like that there are a variety of enemies, and I like that there's a tactical choice in smashing down doors.  I also like that there's no health system, just "one bite and you're down."

Good luck, and keep it up!
siegarettes
Level 0

new week, new persona

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 08:23:51 AM »

thank you for the comments everyone, they are very helpful. it will definitely give me an idea of where to go next.

for Undertech:
i'll see what i can do. i thought it added to the challenge of keeping a cool head under pressure, but if i find that it just annoys people i'll fix it.

for Salt:
thank you for all your comments. you were very thorough. and no its not a play on words its just a misspelling. i'll try the tutorial, the only problem i can see is that i have different views for some levels, because the characters have different vision ranges. also, i have some questions and more details; just to clarify some things.

for the character with the machine gun and shotgun or "dude":
i found that the infinite ammo thing was more of a problem during story mode than during arcade, but you're right, adding a clip would give more reason to use the knife. i'll also see what i can do to fix the shotgun without making it too much like the other character, i may have to remove it altogether.

for the shotgun/ grenades or "ray":
i can make the range for the grenade longer. any other suggestions for the nades? should they explode on contact?
also, the shotgun bounces so you can use it more tactically, but the range might not be long enough for that. should i remove the bouncing altogether?

for the fast guy or "ben":
the character bios are supposed to be ridiculous, as well as offensive. dude is actually i high school shooter as well. he is actually using a bat. i' having trouble explaining that visually though. the teleport/dash is supposed to be used with running for an extra boost, it can also get you over walls if you stand next to them. the knife button causes you to create a marker to guide survivors to, they are the blue guys that you take over when you die.

for the interface: should i just go for an all keyboard or all mouse? any more suggestions?

when i originally started i wanted more of a robotron kind of feel, but i think that the direction has changed enough where reloading can be part of it. i guess having dude and ray have to reload would give a good reason to play as ben, who would never have to.

again thank you, you're suggestions have been very helpful.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 08:28:01 AM by MercuryBlind » Logged

siegarettes
Level 0

new week, new persona

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 12:39:05 PM »

Blink
so...yea...this is an old topic, but i recently started working on this thing again, and took in some suggestions regarding the gameplay. AuthenticKaizen was generous enough to include the previous version in PixelProspector and this new version adds quite a bit of tweaks and content.
CHANGES:
+updated menu system with level descriptions and previews
+resolution increased to prevent blurriness
+knife now creates a corpse that significantly slows down other zombies
+dude's shotgun is now more accurate
+ben jumps farther, making it easier to dodge zombies and jump over walls
+reloading in story mode (accompanied by the HOUSE OF THE DEAD reload! sound at times)
+new health system allows you to take a few hits and push zombies away in the process
+new action (SPACE) key allows you to push away zombies and open/close doors and break barricades
+2 new and varied characters: superhuman from Robotron, and Tricia a psychic who can take over survivor's bodies when she dies.
+destructible walls, red barrels, ammo, health packs
+DIE SYSTEM:randomizes bonuses, barrels, and walls to create slightly different experiences each time.
+slime mode, replaces zombies with slimes

there are a few more things, but those are some major ones.
ALSO: i will be distributing the graphics and code if anyone has any interest.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic