Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:25:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeThe Retro Future Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: The Retro Future Thread  (Read 18161 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2009, 10:33:05 AM »

OK, so I love retro future.  Be it graphics, music, games, films, etc.  And I know I'm not the only one, either!  Smiley

So, post anything retro future in this thread.  Be it links to movies/short films, trailers for retro-future games, or just some sexy retro future graphics/3d model you've been working on.  I ended up making my current design project at school into something retro future, so once I've got some nice pictures of the 3d model (with the final colour scheme that I haven't chosen yet), I'll be posting that.

So I discovered the demoscene a couple weeks ago, which I was elated to find had a lot of retro future stuff in it.  scene.org

Kiss Kiss Kiss

EDIT: there seems to be a bit of confusion about the specificity of retro future that I was talking about.  This should clear that up a bit:
See, I differentiate between all forms of "the future the way the past saw it" and specifically that 60s-70s retro future, which for me is very tied into the graphic design aspects of that period; the best TIGS example of this new trend being fish's work, which I think is brilliant.

More examples of that specific kind of retro-future:
- early 90's simplistic CGI; eg. Re:Boot
- buildings and bridges by architect Santiago Calatrava
- Lego (the good old kind where there were lots of small pieces, not like new crap big piece Lego)
- the use of Helvetica
- a mix of curvy things and rectilinearity
- a tangible connection to Modernism (the irony here being that I love retro future, yet despise Modernism)

So yeah, this is basically why steampunk and fallout etc. don't count.  It's pretty obvious that the "retro" they're using doesn't take heavy inspiration from 1960s and 70s.  Or to a lesser extent, the "primitive" computing of the 1980s and early 90s.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 05:58:47 PM by GregWS » Logged
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 11:48:18 AM »

I was going to ask who the hell you are and how the hell you got 1700 posts without me noticing you, but then I saw the sig :D

This thread is going to be so very very great! Actually I think I'll make something retro-future right now, just for this very thread!
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 12:30:54 PM »

Does Gattaca count? The cars and architecture are all quite retro, it's great.

Such a quality, atmospheric film. Anyone who hasn't seen it should do.

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 01:25:03 PM »

I kinda does, but I think of more 70's retro future, like fish's work.  Smiley

1700 posts
This scared the crap outta me the other day too, because I hadn't really checked since I passed 1000, and I thought I'd been posting less since then... Shocked
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 01:32:27 PM »

So I discovered the demoscene a couple weeks ago, which I was elated to find had a lot of retro future stuff in it.  scene.org

Also try pouet.net (if you haven't yet) it has dozens of demos/intros on it.  Smiley

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 01:39:10 PM »

Anyone interested in this should probably read this blog, it's great: http://www.paleofuture.com/

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 01:50:14 PM »

Renton
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 02:55:59 PM »

Fallout.
'Nuff said.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 02:58:26 PM »

I think there's a difference between post-apocalyptic and retro-future, though...

Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 03:03:16 PM »

Not a huge fan of retro future, actually.  But KniteBlargh did some cool retroey things.

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 03:15:45 PM »

I think there's a difference between post-apocalyptic and retro-future, though...
Yeah, retro future is usually pretty utopian.  Lots of curvy things too.  And colours.  THE COLOURS!!!  Kiss
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 03:28:20 PM »

Nothing screams retro future like
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »

My favorite post in that blog (so far): http://www.paleofuture.com/blog/2007/4/2/the-predictions-of-a-14-year-old-milwaukee-excelsior-1901.html

EDIT: Fixed link.

EDIT 2: Quote: a 14-year old predicted this in 1901:

"How it may appear a hundred years hence, when modern inventions have been carried to their highest point of development that even Edison would feel jealous of the great inventions in the year 2001. In the year 2001 you will see sky-scrapers sticking far above the clouds over 200 stories high. On the streets there will not be any room for street cars, so they will build lines way up in the air, and there will be landings fastened to the high skyscrapers, where the people will wait for the cars. The carlines will have different kinds of names and you will see the name "Manhattan Air Line" many hundreds of feet above the ground. You see air-ships and carriages fastened to balloons for the transportation of the people through the air, and you will often see collisions in the clouds. In one of the sky-scrapers on the 119 story you will see a sign, 'Old People Restored to Youth by Electricity, While You Wait.'"

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 05:17:06 PM »

Fallout is actually both genres.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 05:22:30 PM »

Yeah, I can see that, but more post-apo than retro-future. It's not set in a retro-future world, though, it's set in a ruined world and uses retro-future ironically. It'd be nice to see a game actually set in a retro-future world.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 05:27:26 PM »

It's set in a post apocalyptic retro future.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 05:29:31 PM »

Actually now that I think about it, it's possible Red Alert series qualifies as retro-future. It uses tesla-based electricity weapons, Japanese rocket-pack girls, and so on. It's not the main focus, but it has a few retro-future elements here and there.

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 05:55:37 PM »

See, I differentiate between all forms of "the future the way the past saw it" and specifically that 60s-70s retro future, which for me is very tied into the graphic design aspects of that period; the best TIGS example of this new trend being fish's work, which I think is brilliant.

More examples of that specific kind of retro-future:
- early 90's simplistic CGI; eg. Re:Boot
- buildings and bridges by architect Santiago Calatrava
- Lego (the good old kind where there were lots of small pieces, not like new crap big piece Lego)
- the use of Helvetica
- a mix of curvy things and rectilinearity
- a tangible connection to Modernism (the irony here being that I love retro future, yet despise Modernism)

So yeah, this is basically why steampunk and fallout etc. don't count.  It's pretty obvious that the "retro" they're using doesn't take heavy inspiration from 1960s and 70s.  Or to a lesser extent, the "primitive" computing of the 1980s and early 90s.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 05:59:18 PM by GregWS » Logged
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 06:37:47 PM »

When I think of retro-future, I think of the word "space-age". Somehow, after we managed to get on the moon, we forgot that we were on our way to the stars, and now the US's only reusable manned spacecraft is about to be decommissioned.

It's a sad sort of nostalgia of dreams that never occurred, a kid's daydream of what he would be when he grew up, and thus should contain the same level of wonder and intensity.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 06:48:20 PM »

There's no real profitable reason to go to space yet. Until there is, it won't happen. If the moon had been made of gold we would have had bases there in the 1600s.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic