Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411520 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:20:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)My art thread
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My art thread  (Read 6720 times)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2009, 01:22:57 AM »

So, this is obviously something people are doing, and I figured I'd go along. Welcome people that are less skilled than me to get inspired by my stuff and ask about my techniques, and welcome people that are more skilled than me to tell me how to improve and boost your confindence :D

Actually I thought that this would be not only about personal exhibitionism, but also about learning and improving, so I would be very thankful for any tips and tricks.

This one is drawn in a notebook, and then coloured in photoshop. I've been trying to work with colours in a way I seldom do, thinking about stuff like "warm" and "cool" and such, not only what colour objects actually are. I'm still a bit unsure of the background, maybe I should chicken out and make it a more realistic colour?

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 11:55:40 AM »

And on the subject of notebook scribble:

Fuzz
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 12:03:24 PM »

The "and I am spacing the fuck out" scribble is awesome, but the problem I see with the more polished one in the first post is that the shirt is the same colour as the skin on her neck.
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 12:19:24 PM »

Shee-it, mofo can draw.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 12:10:33 AM »

And on the subject of notebook scribble:

Oh man, that looks like a waaaaay better version of my tired-and-fueled-by-caffeine scribbles. Pretty cool.

...what kind of Pen do you use, then? It's really... solid.

Invisible Computer Girl is also very cool. I kind of like the background. Helps emphasize her state of mind. Maybe add a little more detail? But keep the tint.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 08:19:41 AM »

Haha I use a standard HB carbon pencil. I cheated with the contrast when scanning it because it looked way too bad Crazy

I'm thinking about trying another colour on her shirt, maybe a darker orange one Huh? But let's keep it green Grin

This I made for the retro future thread a few days ago, but since I'm collecting all my stuff here now it might as well have a comeback:

Gentleman
SIR
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 12:28:20 PM »

Keep it up! Love the fatbear and the shine on "CASH"

And in the super space adventure piece, it looks like they're literally connected at the bellybutton :O It looks cool though, how did you get the static effect?

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 01:10:56 AM »

Was playing around with a palette, and it became this!

Sadly I don't think this is going to come to life, it's better to finish the things you've started... It is of course inspired by one of my favorite platformers, maybe you can guess which one? Wink

It was useful to work with a limited palette however, learnt a lot. I was just going to write that there's only the colours you see that are in the image, but that's pretty much a given right :D Instead I'll post the palette, since I am proud of it and think it's awsome:

Here's the headaching font:

Don't really know if "super fluorescent" is the name of the font or the will-never-be game though Huh?

And yeah, the guy to the right isn't wearing any shoes...
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 01:20:20 AM »

Haaa, very sweet. Love that Lyle aesthetic. The characters are cute, and those backgrounds are really something! Typeset is also badass. A little illegible, but badass nonetheless.
Fuzz
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 07:31:53 PM »

Looks like "SUPER FLUDRESCENT" to me. Shrug
Apart from that, it's beautiful.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 07:47:56 PM »

Lyle In Cube Sector?

Also, it's really really awesome. (I accidentally press post too early...)
godsavant
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 04:57:13 PM »

"Lyle in Edgy Ghetto Sector".

That Super Space Adventure really channels cartoon Halo. Smiley
ChevyRay
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 08:48:15 PM »

I think JLJac is currently my favorite TIGer. I love the fat monster thing on the sketch page Grin
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 08:31:32 AM »

The whale topic has briefly returned to the surface for air before diving into the dark depths of forgotten threads for another 3 months! Sieze the moment and look at its art!

This is maybe loosely connected to everyone's favourite vapourware Dog Street, in that it shows an environment that is compatible with the dog street setting. It's called Wrong Part Of Town.  Cool

A few months of education in graphic design has paid off OK, though my stuff still looks more like "amateur is willing to spend a lot of hours" rather than "genious takes 40 minutes to create photo-realism", you can see it in that there is not few, perfect lines but a lot and a lot of lines that sums up to about what I wanted Tired

Still, progress Lips Sealed Hand Metal Right
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 10:41:18 AM »

Shi-yut.  Crazy  JLJac, ya'll got a whole lot better.  This crap be sick dick, yo!

The main thing that sticks out to me are the colors.  Basic colors (red, blue, yellow) are great and all, but using them all in one space (to me) portrays sort of a childish, happy theme, whereas I don't think that's what you were trying to accomplish in the "Wong Part of Town".  I think if you stuck to more of an atmospheric color palette with colors that compliment each other, it could greatly improve the painting.  Only other thing that bothers me is the weird, long neck.  Shrug

Other than that, great work.  I really like it!

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »

About the neck, if you look closely you see that the arm is starting pretty high up, but I made the shoulders too small so this isn't very obvious. You're right that it stands out.

The colours are exactly the way I want them Grin I could of course go with brown/greyish textures to make it a standard darkgrim dystopian city, but that wouldn't go well with my setting.

sick dick
Is this actual lingo or did you make it up :D

EDIT:

I made a update with at least a little better neck/shoulder. Thanks for the feedback Smiley

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 08:32:56 PM by JLJac » Logged
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 09:31:16 AM »

That looks much better!  Great job.  Grin

Is this actual lingo or did you make it up :D
No, no, it's a completely legit term that all of my new-found ghetto friends use.  Corny Laugh

pogo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 07:36:44 PM »

Interesting stuff you have. Very original.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 11:30:40 AM »

A scroll rightie!

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/6660/excavation.jpg

EDIT: or I'll just put one in that's small enough to look at. Take a look at the big one too though, it's bigger!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:46:39 AM by JLJac » Logged
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 01:40:32 PM »

More ladies with bags
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic