Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:55:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionBug in the 'pit [FINISHED+Patch]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Bug in the 'pit [FINISHED+Patch]  (Read 10294 times)
molecule
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2009, 12:31:29 PM »

Our entry is a kind of racing game, you are a bug and you have to escape from a cockpit in a limited amount of time. Some bonus and penalty objects are on your path to save time or penalize your ladybug.

But... wait... Where is the cockpit? I can't see a ladybug's cockpit!

Look carefully the screenshot, you are a small ladybird racing ON a
cockpit (plane, car, many maps will be available), fun isn't it?

Developers are:
Azral: gfx, gameplay
Molecule: code, music

Download the game here (v1.1)

If problem with vertical synchronization (framerate at 60 but freeze lag every second) try the patch 1.1 here

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 11:12:40 PM by molecule » Logged
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 12:37:26 PM »

Couldn't the ladybug be racing on the cockpit that controls the very same ladybug?
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 12:46:40 PM »

* Mikademus slaps molecule with the rules

Quote from: Rules
The theme of the game is cockpits.  Technically, a cockpit is the area where a pilot controls an airplane, but in this competition, it can be any kind of vehicle or thing you might control.

This entry introduces a whole new level of pushing boundaries Smiley

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 12:56:54 PM »

I'd think it would be okay as long as there is a cockpit in it, but I have to agree that the cockpit must be able to control something within the game.

I don't think the entry has to be discarded though. Anyone that thinks it doesn't follow the rules properly or doesn't use the concept well can just not vote for it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 01:05:12 PM »

What if the ladybug could interact with the controls in the cockpit?

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
azral
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 01:16:08 PM »

The theme of the game is cockpits.  Technically, a cockpit is the area where a pilot controls an airplane, but in this competition, it can be any kind of vehicle or thing you might control.
This rule says that a cockpit is from something we used to control, like an airplane or car. Not we have to control it, I am wrong?
But, you know, this project is just for fun, don't take it too seriously Wink
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 01:19:32 PM »

If the rule nazis want to rule the TIGS compos, then I am winston churchill Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 01:48:10 PM »

It's a great concept and I think it's totally valid. I mean, some of the previous notable compo entries didn't really adhere to the topic that much (Rescue The Beagles) or completely ignored it (Rom Check Fail), and still turned out to be alright (or even won the compo). Not that you should ignore the rules, but this is totally legit in my eyes.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 01:49:46 PM »

If the rule nazis want to rule the TIGS compos, then I am winston churchill Gentleman

Crap, I should have thought twice about how I expressed myself. I actually enjoyed the... eh...  creative and agile utilisation of the rules. Since I plan to bend the rules backwards twice over myself in my submissions I most certainly am not intending to go fascist Gentleman

Compensatory appreciative post: Very nice presentation! And will the gauges on the cockpit be animated? It would also be really entertaining if the ladybug *could* interact with the controls.

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 02:11:53 PM »

I agree with Toastie; I think this is a perfectly valid interpretation of the rules. It bends what most people expect from those rules, sure, but Derek's original statement was that the theme of the games had to be cockpits; the cockpit is definitely the most prominent element of this game.

Also, it looks a bit like Micro Machines, and that is most certainly A Good Thing. Rock on! Beer!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 03:07:58 PM »

Crap, I should have thought twice about how I expressed myself. I actually enjoyed the... eh...  creative and agile utilisation of the rules. Since I plan to bend the rules backwards twice over myself in my submissions I most certainly am not intending to go fascist Gentleman

I was exagerrating of course, you are a perfectly fine gentleman indeed Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Fuzz
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 05:31:40 PM »

I have never been a ladybug before. I look forward to this with great eagerness and admire your stretching of the boundaries of the competition. Gentleman
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 09:27:14 PM »

Gentleman
Fuzz
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 11:03:36 PM »

molecule
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 02:24:18 PM »

The deadline is near, we have to release our game. There is still some bugs, but the game is playable:

Download the game here (v1.0)

All comments are welcomed.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 02:49:38 PM »

The deadline has been extended by a week btw.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
molecule
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 01:05:13 AM »

Good new! So we will upgrade our game!

Does anyone test the 1.0 demo?
Fuzz
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 01:07:50 AM »

It was fun. Hand Thumbs Up Left
azral
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 11:14:42 AM »

Thanks for the feed back. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Now we have the time, we will try to:
- make "race" more fun now we have the time;
- add interaction with objects;
- change physic and collisions;
I cannot garantee, but we will do our best.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 12:43:53 PM »

Our entry is a kind of racing game, you are a bug and you have to escape from a cockpit in a limited amount of time.

flying is which button?
 Hand Fork LeftDurr...?Hand Knife Right

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic