Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:56:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGame genres and player expectations
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game genres and player expectations  (Read 686 times)
Valakanaraga
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2016, 12:52:08 AM »

I'm working on a card-driven wargame similar to HACK-868 or Hoplite. The game is designed to take roughly half an hour to win, relying on procedural generation and CCG-style drafting mechanics to provide variety across runs. Certain genres have certain price-to-length expectations, at least on certain platforms. Vlambeer could charge 12 dollars for Nuclear Throne because it is highly acceptable for an action game to be short. Hell, in most shmups a single run only takes 20-30 minutes. I get the feeling that this does not hold true for "core" (sorry for swearing, couldn't think of another term) PC turn-based strategy games, in which a given run is expected to last at least a few hours.

I'll be frank: I need to sell the game for at least (and probably exactly) $10 in order to have a shot at the wonderful one-in-a-million dream of earning minimum wage making video games. I could pad the length of a single run - probably up to 2-3 hours - but I feel that it would make the game worse. I could make the game infinite but there's a certain stigma against titles in which the only goal is to get high scores. I could add a long-form story mode but having to find a writer - yet another human being I have to convince to work with me for equity and then keep from deserting - is a frightening prospect. I'm lost.

Any and all advice is welcome. Feel free to tell me if I'm completely off and/or a dummy.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 01:22:31 AM »

I don't think you need to worry or make your game longer.

Many games have pretty short runs and derive their replayability from variation through ProcGen.

Think of Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, etc.

And it's not just Action games. The entire Roguelike and Rogue-lite genres basically started this approach and a run can be over in seconds there. "Desktop Dungeons" even does this for puzzles.

If you ran into any problems at all, it would be due to marketing the game wrong / to the wrong crowd.

I don't your game (sounds cool though!) but with niché games, you generally can even charge more than 10$. As far as I know, the price point where sales drop off because it seems like a "big investment" is 20$. People that aren't into the niché can't be convinced with "it's cheap!" and people that care are fine with shelling out more than 10$. Higher price can even feel like a seal of quality!

In your shoes, I'd try to keep the game tight, polish it up so a run is great, then make sure there is enough variance in the random elements and content to keep coming back. Marketed to the right crowd in the right way, it sounds like you'll be absolutely fine.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 02:11:12 AM »

battlerager is right. market your game as a roguelike, not a strategy game.

also lots of games with shorter individual sessions add some sort of meta-progression or unlock system to increase perceived longevity. maybe you could include something like that? if your game is card-based with a drafting mechanism, the obvious thing would be to gradually unlock new cards. it could act as a sort of tutorial as well. the player starts off with just a few simple cards and unlocks more complex ones over multiple runs.

also another thing: rather than making the game endless, make it very hard to actually win, but make failed runs still contribute towards the unlocks.

that's what i would do at least.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 02:22:21 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Valakanaraga
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 01:56:14 AM »

Your responses were helpful. Thank you.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 04:09:11 AM »

No problem  Smiley

Btw, regarding genres and expectations: Imo, the player expectation of a 50+ hour epic is what's holding RPGs back as a genre.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic