Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:53:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessVideo Game Kickstarter Tips From Successfully Funded Indies
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Video Game Kickstarter Tips From Successfully Funded Indies  (Read 1067 times)
IndieWolverine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2016, 08:19:06 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I've been working on a Kickstarter tips article and have come to a place where I feel comfortable sharing it. Basically, I have reached out to many independent game studios that have successfully funded their games through Kickstarter for any helpful tips, examples, links to resources and more. I've put together the responses I've gotten so far.  It's a growing piece of content, so if any of you have any suggestions or tips, let me know and I'll add you to the post.

Read the full article here: http://indiewolverine.com/2016/02/01/video-game-kickstarter-tips/
Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 01:34:55 AM »

Thanks, that's interesting Smiley

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
IndieWolverine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 10:51:26 AM »

Thank you!   Toast Left
Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 11:35:56 AM »

Definitely says some things I wouldn't have thought of. Really appreciate it!
LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 12:53:01 AM »

Overall a good collection of advice. The quote from Ron Gilbert about selling a Kickstarter campaign is a good one.

The blog posts on Stonemaier Games have lots of advice about shipping physical rewards.

I see my old 2013 Kickstarter guide on /r/gamedev was linked to. Slowly I've been trying to convert paper notes into an updated guide. It is getting crippled by scope creep and reorganizing.

I've been looking deeper into how to better schedule Kickstarter campaigns. Here are two of some of the most helpful points I have about that topic:

● Do not launch or end a campaign on Fridays or Saturdays. Scheduling a Kickstarter campaign often comes down to finding a stretch of 30 days that will satisfy those conditions. Weekends become something to fear and endure because of the dips in traffic they can cause. I've witnessed too many small campaigns launch on a Friday and immediately stall out because of a lack of a pre-launch community.

● You now have the freedom set the specific ending hour of the campaign on its final day before you launch. Kickstarter added this feature. If you don't use it, your campaign ends on the hour of the day that it launched. This means a campaign that launched in the morning potentially loses out on some of their best pledge earning momentum near the end by also ending in the morning on the final day. If the ending hour was set in the evening, that same campaign could have brought in a fair chunk more in funding. In general, do not end in the morning for the Eastern Time Zone. Time at the end of a campaign can be more important than the time at the start of the campaign.

tpkth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 07:50:18 AM »

Thanks for the great tips guys!

I'd like to emphasize on this:
lack of a pre-launch community

I've attended several Kickstarter post-mortems and this is what struck me the most.

Of course all the successful ones had a strong concept, a great pitch, and a top-notch trailer to sell it. They also had in common that they put a LOT of efforts getting the word out MONTHS prior to the actual launch of their Kickstarter.

One of them PMed hundreds of people on Twitter for a year in order to build anticipation. This is a lot of work!

I guess the last thing you want is working very hard on an awesome Kickstarter campaign that people simply won't notice because it didn't reach out to them.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic