Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:39:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAdventure/Shmup project [Prototype completed]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Adventure/Shmup project [Prototype completed]  (Read 4684 times)
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2016, 08:29:11 AM »

Hi!

Download the prototype HERE!

[UPDATE]: the prototype is finished, waiting for criticism! I'm waiting for feedback to determine if it's worth developping for real.
Here are some pics of the game:

Inside your ship.

Light-speed!

It's getting serious.

Pew pew pew pew!

Welcoming folks!

Hacking a nuclear reactor. Why not?

Some more happy folks.

Pics first.

Here I am with another project. You may have read the first post of the Bullet Void devlog, in wich case the pitch of this project will sound familiar.

Basically, I’m making a top down adventure game set in a space sci-fi setting. It’s going to be a top down shooter as a main gameplay mechanic, and my aim is to translate every interaction with the game world as a shooter phase. As Undertale has proven recently, bullet hell can be a nice battle abstraction, and it’s the path I’m going to follow (putting aside the actual gunfights, that's not quite as abstract).

The game is going to be an adventure with a story to follow, but will allow some freedom between key events, and emphasise the consequences of the player choices. I'm not aiming for a very long adventure, 1 or 2 hours for a regular play-through is the goal. The game will offer a variety of phases, to translate actions of the player in shooting phases. The main view will be the character view, moving on feet, allowing dialogues with NPCs and when a weapon is drawn, shooting phases. Emphasis is placed on dodging and outmanoeuvring enemies. Shooting is only possible on four directions, independently of the direction the character is moving. "Dual D-pad shooter" if you will.

A second gameplay phases will be ship battles, translated to simple SHMUP phases, constraining the ship inside the screen, and featuring horizontal auto scrolling. In this phases, the ship can't shoot in every direction, but only straight forward. Theses phases will feature obstacle dodging, like asteroids or debris. All in all, very classical SHMUP, think R-type (but not as punishing!) for reference.

A third gameplay phase is hacking. In every levels, devices can be hacked to get many benefits. Unlocking doors, storage, deactivating alarms and sentries for example. To succeed, the player must complete a small game in which he must find it's way in a small level with "enemies" pursuing him, but can't shoot himself (pac-man?). The player can also get inside the level's network through terminals, and move his signal along the cables to access various parts of the levels, like a cart on rails. The signal must dodge various defence measures, static or moving, but can result in great benefits, like triggering alarms to attracts enemies, then seal doors behind them to avoid the fight. Or take control of defence turrets or robots. This network phase is only scratched in the prototype.

Travelling through the network.

Last gameplay phase will apply to dialogue. Convincing or resisting an attempt of manipulation by a NPC will result in a shooting phase as well, where characters try to land as much shots at their opponents while dodging as much as possible. Interesting thing, a character competent in persuasion can obtain a lot of clues, free passes and help with this skill. Avoiding battles altogether is a possibility.

This may sound pretty huge, but every phase shares a lot of similarity as far as code goes, and that's the reason why I want to make every gameplay phase a variation on the top down shooter. It's not several games cobbled together, but different variations on the same theme. To have a chance of accomplishing that, I have to make things as simple as possible. It's a priority in my design process, and a struggle against myself. The limitation of four direction of shooting, the art style, the view angle are consequences of the main constrains: time and efficiency.

Before deciding if it's worth a shot, I want to have feedbacks on the most basic gameplay phase, that's why I made a prototype before anything. I initially made it without graphics, but didn't get feedbacks, probably because of it. So I made some graphics to make the thing easier to get into, this is the second version of the prototype. There is a hub level, to select a weapon, and access to the tow levels, an infinite arena, and in the down right corner, a network hacking phase.

So far, it's really just to get feedbacks on the feeling of the shooting phases, what works, what doesn't, and also feedback on the whole idea. Be honest, hurt my feelings :p That's why I'm here for. Keep in mind it's a minimal prototype, a lot of stuff is missing, animations, weapon effects, special abilities, but I don't want to start the project if it's not worth it.

Controller is supported. Controls are self explained, aside from the "hacking" function: press SPACE (or LEFT TRIGGER on the pad) in front of the terminals to get inside (and out) the network cables (as depicted above). Only work in the level accessible from the down right corner.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:03:34 AM by skaz » Logged

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »

Interesting and lovely!
I will try the proto

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 01:03:32 AM »

I'll play this when i have more time. Tested it for one minute, first impression: shotgun seems to have a very small range.
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 05:57:15 AM »

Interesting and lovely!
I will try the proto

Thanks!

I'll play this when i have more time. Tested it for one minute, first impression: shotgun seems to have a very small range.

Yep, shotgun is made for instant kills at close range and spray to get multiple target at once. Maybe doesn't spray enough. Using it feels bad?

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 06:14:54 AM »

I have to play more but i already noticed:
The delay before the first shot is fired (all guns) is confusing and makes the game difficult.

The exploring factor of the game is already a lot fun.
Cheers!

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 06:31:16 AM »

I have to play more but i already noticed:
The delay before the first shot is fired (all guns) is confusing and makes the game difficult.

Even with the machine-gun? I didn't see a delay before firing. With the shotgun and sniper, the delay is due to the fact that you can lock on a direction before firing, and only fire on release. But I can get how it can be frustrating. It's going to be a necessary mechanic with semi-auto weapons that require a loading time before firing (like, for example, the Half-Life's gauss gun alt fire). But right now it's not really useful. I'll make every weapon full auto rather than semi-auto.
For semi-auto weapon, I must put a feedback to tell when fire is ready, sound/graphic, or both. Like a shotgun pumping sound, or a bolt action sound for the sniper. It will probably speak to the mind of the average player.

The exploring factor of the game is already a lot fun.
Cheers!

Glad to hear it! What did you enjoy especially if anything?

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 07:01:14 AM »

You are right. Machine gun is fine.
But the delay for sniper and shot really disturb me.

I would speed up the player a bit in general.

And i simply enjoyed the layout and enemies so far.
I still have to play a bit more the hacking mode.
The shooting range at start is just charming.

You might want to try my game.
It is a bit similar:

Cheers!

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 07:19:25 AM »

I would speed up the player a bit in general.

Yes, the game being about dodging a LOT, moving fast should be the way to go.

And i simply enjoyed the layout and enemies so far.
I still have to play a bit more the hacking mode.
The shooting range at start is just charming.

Ok, glad you enjoyed it! Hacking mode is really rough, there's not much to do. I really just started coding it.
The shooting range is here to let the player test the guns before getting trapped with one in the levels, it's the kind of stuff I like to do for fun :p it's also meant to show how the obstacles work with bullets, did you noticed this mechanic?

You might want to try my game.
It is a bit similar:

Already did! Just not taken the time to write my feedback yet. Will do soon Wink

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 11:04:49 AM »

I think I've figured out something, powerful is FUN! WHO KNEW?

Sniper was really OP, but instead of making it less powerful I pumped up the shotgun, which now spread a HUGE amount of shots, and has a longer range, and the machine-gun is just faster.

Armour!

I tried something, and made an armour for the player. You get an extra HP in form of a shield that replenish over time if taken of. A joker, and something that makes you feel safer when exposing yourself to fire. You are just MUCH faster without the armour. The armour gives you the previous version's speed.

Armour stand! You can put it back if you don't like it. WHY WOULD YOU?

This version is faster, and have much more fire-power. I've also switched every weapon to automatic;)
Tell me what you think!

Download it HERE!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 08:17:00 AM by skaz » Logged

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 11:36:22 AM »

So far it's looking good and you can definitely continue it. Smiley

I haven't played dual stick control type game with the keyboard only so that part was strange at first but got used to it quickly.

The "skating on ice" effect was also quite amusing. Grin

As for actual issues:
1) At certain points when you open a door, especially with a narrow corridor so all enemies are lined up, you can get killed almost instantly if many start firing.  You could add some kind of check and "centralized" delay so that doesn't happen.
2) It may be just me but it was tricky to determine some of the wall height and I assumed that I wasn't able to shoot through.  i.e. the white barriers that you can see in the top left and right corners.

I haven't played this kind of top-down games for a long time so and interestingly had similar issues in another top-down game recently.  Also, maybe because the regular doors have a white top adds to that confusion.  Actually, the ones that come down are okay but the ones that go up and you can't see exactly how tall they are.  Maybe having some kind of irregular pattern would be better.

As for level design, initially, I would restrict players by showing only the "tutorial" areas: shooting range, hacking, etc.  Only after that would players be directed to other areas.  Some kind of "blinking arrow" or other type of visual could help with that.

You are right. Machine gun is fine.
But the delay for sniper and shot really disturb me.
I played the game today and perhaps some parts were changed, but haven't noticed any firing delay issues.

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 10:25:19 AM »

I like the suit idea in general as i also mentioned in my dev log.
I think tis a cool and fun idea.
Might be a bit concfusing right now because it adds shiels plus different suit and only adds 1 addtional HP point basically.

Shiels: i would expect that it shields some damage and regenerates after time
Suit: i would expect more HP/armor on top of my basic HP

The weapons are more fun now but i keep only using the MG because its very overpowered and most fun (i think).
keep it up!

Cheers!

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 10:34:16 AM »

I have actually a question for you:
  • You are using the "pick up a weapon to change it - you can only wear one weapon a time" system
  • I am using in Space Pirate the "pick up a lot weapons and change them whenever you want with pressing a key" system

I think the system you are using has the benefit that it fits to the faster gameplay.
It still allows them player to change weapons from start because you place them there and also in the levels.

Would you recommend that i change it?
Cheers

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 12:06:40 PM »

Thanks to both of you for your reactions!

A taste of what's to come.

@io3 creations

Glad you liked the total lack of animations :p The issue you have with white blocks is the consequence of an experiment: you CAN shoot through those obstacles, if you stick to them. If you don't, most of the bullets will be stopped by it. It's an experiment at designing cover mechanics in a top down perspective, but I didn't explain it in the game, wanted to see if it was going to be problematic. Well, thanks, I know it's made badly now! I'll have to redo this system, but I really like the cover idea, just need to figure a way to make it right.

Levels will be remade entirely for the "final" prototype version.

@Bombini

I implemented damages and armour as I initially envisioned them. Now you have hearths to represent your life, ala Zelda. A hearth is 4 HP. Most bullets deals 4 damages = 1 hearth down.
Armour has 3 tiers : light, medium and heavy. Each tier subtract 1hp from any incoming damages, so with light armour you take 3 hp out of 4, and with 3 armour you only take 1 out of 4! Standard bullets are less of a threat to heavy armoured foes, but heavy bullets dealing a huge amount of damages are still a very real threat, no matter how thick your armour is (the more damages a single damages sources does, the less % is absorbed with the way I designed it). Heavier armours slow you down, obviously.

The shield bubble is still in, untouched. I like the buffer HP it gives, will develop it if the project goes serious. The HP pool, the armour rating and the shield capacity/realod time makes sufficient variables to adjust to tailor different characters.

Added a mechanic taken from Nuclear throne, my favourite one actually: flying dead bodies dealing damages. Need a lot of balancing, but it's really fun. I included a "Plasmace", a plasma hammer. Pretty rough, but close combat must be an important part of the game. Also added a space screen, with the possibility to travel at lightspeed.

I'm working on a more fleshed out version, with the ship's interior, a single mission given to you, flying to it and dock. Something representative of what I'd like to do. More news in a week I guess!

I have actually a question for you:
  • You are using the "pick up a weapon to change it - you can only wear one weapon a time" system
  • I am using in Space Pirate the "pick up a lot weapons and change them whenever you want with pressing a key" system

I think the system you are using has the benefit that it fits to the faster gameplay.
It still allows them player to change weapons from start because you place them there and also in the levels.

Would you recommend that i change it?
Cheers

My system is really the product of half assed code and dirty prototyping. I actually made the weapons pickable with a key right now Wink But you can't carry more than one, if you pick another one, the weapon you have is put back on the shelf.

lobstersteve
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 02:01:16 PM »

oh, i really like the graphics in this Smiley they even have a unique touch to them that separates them from pixel art that is "in" right now^^
i also really like the idea, that the game will not purely focus on shooting, but will try to feel like an adventure..the setting is also appealing.
i'd like to try the game out, but for some weird reason i get a virus warning when i download your game o.0 idk what's going on..can't start it due to it. warning says: "found malware - TR/Dropper.Gen"
nihilaleph
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 03:22:11 PM »

Really fun prototype!

I liked the mechanics, nice exploration and a lot of dodging xp. I also liked the cover block! I guess it just need some explanation~ Oh my weapon of choice was the shotgun, I guess because of the wide range... Maybe a little overpowered?

In the network hacking session I was a bit lost... Here also some explanation would've been cool~

Graphics are very nice, even without animation! (But it would be even nicer with animation, of course~)

Anyways great job!
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 12:04:35 AM »

Ah i see. I thought the armour would be additional HP.
Cool! Makes a lot of sense. MAybe youw ant to add the damage points later to be more clear.
Love the spaceship and idea!

stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 10:48:09 AM »

I liked the prototype, specially the way barricades work although is a bit random (maybe make more shots come through if you have more acc?). It seems to me though that the sections were there is little space too move is a bit too punishing and the sections that are wide open are fairly easy, but I believe that will be easier to balance once you have some more enemy types.

If you are aiming for a bullet-hell-ish feel maybe making the hit box of the character a bit smaller (just the feet for example) would also allow more risky plays on those cramed spaces.

The shot delays also make it feel a bit weird with slower weapons but that has already been said.

Good work overall! looking forward for more  Smiley

< check out the devlog! or Twitter!
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 12:49:55 PM »

Finally! It's done!

Thanks for the feedbacks!
@lobstersteve , thanks a lot Smiley I didn't put much time in the arts of the game, I just realised I wouldn't get any feedback with no graphics at all. But the style of pixel art is not going to be to different if the project makes it, just way more polished. Glad you like the concept, as for the virus warning I really don't know, you AV is probably a bit jumpy.

@nihilaleph Dodging will be a HUGE part of the shooting phases Smiley It's what makes it fun for me, I'm not a bullet hell guy, but bullets have the interest to no go away until they hit something. Not a threat you can eliminate like a monster, only a threat you have to avoid. Moving is fun, I want the game to be fast enough so dodging feels dynamic, I don't want the player to spend ages waiting for an opening to peek out. Standing in the open while shooting should be an option!

@Bombini If the prototype makes it to a game, shields, damages and armour reduction will be explained. And will probably be quite diverse.

@stringkiller I actually made the bullets point collision instead of boxes, it's easier to dodge now. Cover mechanics is gone, and would make it back if I found a clever way to implement it. I don't want cover to kill the mobility of the player.

Hacking a cooling system in a fusion reactor is DANGEROUS!

A "final" version of the prototype is good to go! I'm eager to get feedbacks, any criticism will help. It's rough on the edges, bugged a bit, not polished at all, but made to test the concept. What you can do in this version:
- visit the inside of your ship
- fly it in SPACE at lightspeed!
- encounter others ships, fight them in a SHMUP phase
- dock to a station, get inside
- kill anyone you see fit (spoiler: they don't want to die)
- hack terminals, move your signal through wires while avoiding defensive signals
- blow a fusion reactor

I tried to make things clear in game, I leave it to you to judge.

This, again, is a prototype. It's not meant to be continued, it's only a sketch. Should it be worth it, I'll consider making it a full project, from scratch. Every gameplay phase is bare bone and minimal, the gunfight is the phase that got the most effort. Hacking only has a single type of obstacle, and a not so smooth movement. But it's an embryo of what kind of gameplay this phase could be. Shmup is also really minimal. What I'd like to convey is the sense of freedom the game could offer, with varied gameplay phases intimately interconnected, seamlessly merged.

Download it HERE!

I try to test it enough to make it sure it's playable from start to finish, let me know if you get errors, crash or if you get stuck!

I will now take a well deserved rest. Just kidding. To much stuff to to!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 08:17:30 AM by skaz » Logged

zed
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 01:09:05 PM »

Hey,
tried to download the latest build, but Windows Defender reports it as infected by Trojan:Win32/Spursint.A.
Please double check.

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 01:50:26 AM »

Scaned my computer again and I find no trace of virus of malware, submitted the file to an online virus scanner (https://www.virustotal.com/) and all of the anti virus but 3 returned it as clean. As I made the .exe with GameMaker, I cannot see a reason why it would be infected but being a false positive. I think google drive also scan the files before hosting them.

Nothing I can do, even my OS (W10) is paranoiac about any .exe, but if I can't trust my own files which ones can I trust? :p

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic