Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 06:41:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAdventure/Shmup project [Prototype completed]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Adventure/Shmup project [Prototype completed]  (Read 4743 times)
Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 12:22:57 PM »

I like it!
The space movement adds a lot of depth.
I am not a huge fun of the space shooting aspect but that is personal preference.
I could not play through because of a lot of bugs/jumps.

Good job!

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 08:12:24 AM »

Thanks Bombini! Do you recall what exactly prevented you from finishing it?

Some screen shots to help potential testers to get motivation to give it a try :p

Inside your ship.

It's getting serious.

Pew pew pew pew!

Welcoming folks!

Hacking a nuclear reactor. Why not?

Some more happy folks.

Download it HERE!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 08:14:49 AM by skaz » Logged

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 09:24:37 AM »

Just a little message to say I checked the "virus" problem with my .exe. Apparently, it is well known of Avira especially to detect single runtime exe made by gamemaker to be viruses. it's a false positive. Check this link to see the Virus total analysis.

To anyone still scared, I'm making an installer version. Less convenient, but I want anyone interested to be able to give the game a try Smiley

Installer version available HERE!

Any feedback welcome!

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
lobstersteve
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 01:55:50 PM »

Ah, nice, i could play it now Smiley
(It's not that i didn't trust you before, but AVIRA didn't let me start your .exe)
I of course understand that what you have by now is more of an engine, or a foundation that you will build upon, but anyways, here is some feedback:
When i started up the game, i liked the look of the ship, but i kinda expected the background to move (i know that you stand still and it makes sense, but maybe you could make it more dynamic, by adding blinking stars or some moving fog or something, because the static image of the stars looked a little boring).
I like the overall idea that travelling, being inside in the ship and the shmup sections are all part of the game. Makes it feel like an adventure where you exlpore a big world Smiley
For now, the shmup parts, as well as the shooting parts feel very undeveloped of course. Some nice bullet patterns in the shmup section would be nice, not just single bullets in your direction, some simple AI for enemies etc..you probably already have something in mind..your thought process on this would be interesting Smiley
fingerman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 02:17:34 PM »

hi skaz,

i played your prototype a couple of days ago. i am a big fan of your art style and specifically your space setting that you already introduced in bullet void. the hommage to the millenium faclcon with the little details really contributes to the feel. also the take on the space samurai armour is nice. as i said before: exciting stuff!

as far as the actual prototype is concerned it was fun to play but obviously just a prototype. i can't figure out yet, whether it is meant to be a mass shootout or more of a tactical encounter. i can really see the potential especially when the ai is more advanced and there is more variety, sounds, animations, explosions etc.

fingerman
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2016, 03:03:06 AM »

Thanks for the feedbacks!

When i started up the game, i liked the look of the ship, but i kinda expected the background to move (i know that you stand still and it makes sense, but maybe you could make it more dynamic, by adding blinking stars or some moving fog or something, because the static image of the stars looked a little boring).

I understand, but I should show you what the prototype was meant to look like:

I was initially going to make the gameplay prototype with practicaly no graphics, for time consumption issues. But I quickly realized that no one would give it a try, so I made some graphics. Considering my background, graphics are probably the most important thing for me. You can believe me, I'm the one concerned when I release something with poor graphics and non animated sprites :p

I like the overall idea that travelling, being inside in the ship and the shmup sections are all part of the game. Makes it feel like an adventure where you exlpore a big world Smiley

Glad you felt this way, that's the plan. I want the game to feel like you go on an adventure, explore, find secrets. The prototype is obviously only a rough gameplay sketch, so I'm happy about your reaction!

For now, the shmup parts, as well as the shooting parts feel very undeveloped of course. Some nice bullet patterns in the shmup section would be nice, not just single bullets in your direction, some simple AI for enemies etc..you probably already have something in mind..your thought process on this would be interesting Smiley

I honestly have a lot in mind and at the same time not that much. I'm in a struggle against myself to not overscope, design with elegance and simplicity when I dream BIG and complex. Some simple AI is mandatory, to make the encounters ingesting. As for the general direction, I really want the player to be trusted to find the way he likes. Not killing anyone and hacking stuff, going stealth should be an option. Playing a heavy armoured heavily armed soldier should be possible too. The game should put you in front of challenges you'd like to face, adapt to your play style and offers multiples routes.

i played your prototype a couple of days ago. i am a big fan of your art style and specifically your space setting that you already introduced in bullet void. the hommage to the millenium faclcon with the little details really contributes to the feel. also the take on the space samurai armour is nice. as i said before: exciting stuff!

Thanks Fingerman! Glad you enjoyed the art as it is really placeholders Wink I didn't put to much effort in it, it was the bare minimum I could do to motivate some people to give the prototype a try. But I'm glad to hear that you like my style! Star wars was and always be a huge influence for me. The idea to this project could be sumerized by "I want to make my own zelda inspired adventure in my own star wars inspired universe".

as far as the actual prototype is concerned it was fun to play but obviously just a prototype. i can't figure out yet, whether it is meant to be a mass shootout or more of a tactical encounter. i can really see the potential especially when the ai is more advanced and there is more variety, sounds, animations, explosions etc.

I honestly can't say. It will depend on the playstyle you choose, either badass with a machinegun, a ninja, a sniper, etc. For me the fun comes of moving and dodging quite a lot of bullets, so there mustn't be to much of them otherwise dodging is not an option, and killing enemies takes bullet sources out of the game. Does it take away from the fun in the end?

I also like to have freedom to maneuver around enemies, so the levels should allow that. Killing shouldn't be mandatory, that's one of my constraints. Killing shouldn't get you anything actually, aside from removing a threat. No money, no drops, no XP. With that fact clear, it's up to everyone to choose either to kill or to find a less violent way, nobody abandon any reward. Underail does that, I've yet to play it but I don't want the game's system to explicitly tells me "kill those dudes, thats XP ffs!"

I'll go even further, killing should only make things harder, make your enemies want you dead even harder, and make any encounter with a faction you repetitively attack more dangerous and violent. Even in level design, hacking a door to seal it, and you won't have to face any reinforcements. Just spread hell in the level, reinforcements will come. In a way, it's rewarding your playstyle, you like to kill a lot of dudes? Here are some more!

I'll also make an ammo counter part of the game. You will have to be carefull with those dangerous tools of yours, because ammo will be limited and will sometimes force you to reconsider your approach, and maximise your weapons efficiency. So a little bit of tactic will be mandatory anyway Wink

For now, the project will be set aside, I'll probably work on some others projects before deciding if this one is worth the effort.

Thanks for the feedbacks!

-skaz

fingerman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2016, 05:52:27 AM »

For now, the project will be set aside, I'll probably work on some others projects before deciding if this one is worth the effort.
whut? Epileptic
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2016, 07:39:54 AM »

whut? Epileptic

For now, I'm really looking for the project I can make, which means I have the technical capacities to do so, and motivates me enough to make it from start to finish (which is a long way, so you really have to care about your project!). Before launching myself on the first idea I have and start it seriously, I just want to see if I keep my enthusiasm on this project over time. And if I make some other prototypes, if those other projects won't destroy my passion about this one. Let it ripen, and if still looking as tasty go for it Smiley

I also must make the focus, the goal of the project really clear in my head before I start it. The scope especially! Saying "a Zelda game in Star Wars" doesn't tell that much, could I even make a Zelda game like Link's awakening all by myself? A question worth asking. If so, how long would it take? So I'll keep experimenting, learning stuff, and maybe the project will become something Smiley

What do you think?

lobstersteve
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2016, 11:53:18 AM »

Just my perspective, but anyway: i've been developing games for around 2 years, which seems weird, because i released 2 games + 2 shitty ones you can't find anymore, but i made hundrets of prototypes. I guess i found it most fun to make things work and didn't like content creation that much, but in retrospective i think it's a little bit of a pity that i didn't put my effort in one big project i could be proud of. It's just that some parts of game development were a little tough to push through and i lost my passion for them.
I think this project is doable with some simple AI, some shmup programming etc..(a lot of content creation thought, i guess)
But you also gotta do what you love, as this is your hobby and you gotta have fun at it, so if totally feel like not doing it for now, start a project you probably will fall in love more Smiley
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2016, 03:46:05 AM »

Yeah I get your point, judging by the first time I archived my Lost Fortress project (a failed metroivania with my avatar as a protagonist) I must have started it around may 2014, so it's been practically 2 years that I started making games too. But I spend too much time on projects, take Bullet Void: it was meant to be a quick, simple shmup project. During the development, I coded a physic engine to manage asteroid collision depending on their mass. Seriously, I really have a hard time making simple things, and above all FINISHING stuff.

But you take my ludum dare 34 entry, and I can see that I'm definitely capable of making things fast. Maybe all I need is a deadline after all. I'm happy I didn't spend all my time in one single project though, because I learned during this time, and I can safely say that what I coded 2 years ago is shit. So the point now is to figure out if I'm capable of handling a big project, and I'm not going to poor a year in something that's not going to lead anywhere. Maybe it's time to get serious about making games :p For now it's a hobby, but I won't deny that living from video games is a long term goal, as an indie, or as a job in a company.

lobstersteve
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2016, 05:27:20 AM »

Yeah, i see your points, especially the one that it's hard to commit yourself to work for a year on one thing if you are not 100 % sure about it.
Good luck with your next things then. I'll keep on eye on your works Smiley
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2016, 01:36:23 PM »

Thanks lobstersteve, right now I'm replaying Morrowind and trying to figure out why I love this game so much. It's going to be a huge influence on any game I'll make, specially if it's an "open world". So, if I'm to start this project, I think I'm going to do it this way: craft a world, as tangible as possible, with as much freedom as possible, then make a game in it. I'm reading The Art of Game Design right now, and I like the approach of the Lens 17, the lens of the toy. Making a fun world to wander around will definitely be the top priority for this project.

I'm still happy to take feedbacks if anyone discover the prototype!  Toast Right

tankorsmash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2016, 08:10:11 PM »

I played the prototype for a few minutes, I thought it was cool enough. Having to fly around (pretty looking) space and sort of discover the enemy lair(?) was cool, but not having diagonal travel was pretty jarring. I'm sure that'll be fixed by release.

Hard to give any good feedback beyond I liked it enough to want to play the finished version. It would be cool to have some sort of dodge roll or movement mechanics to keep moving around interesting instead of simply holding a direction until you get there, think Link's roll or more recently Hyperlight Drifter's dash.

Along with that, it would be nice to have some sort of active defensive item while you play, to give the game a little bit more to do beyond just moving and shooting. Something simple like a deployable shield would be cool, but you'd need to get pretty interesting with it.

I liked the art.

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2016, 12:09:45 AM »

Thank you for your feedback tankorsmash!

I get the point with diagonal motion in the map, it's a limitation I had to accept because of the way I (quickly and poorly) coded the lightspeed. If I make a game out of this prototype, it will be possible.

Glad you enjoyed it in it's current simplicity. I'm working right now on en engine to make top down action adventure games, which will eventually be used to make this game if I decide to do so. Making moving interesting is a priority, right now the character can jump over (and fall into) pits, climb ladders, fall from high places, slip on surfaces like ice, have it's motion modified by treadmills, be pushed by moving blocks, and dash. All those tools will make for a more engaging gameplay and varied level design.

I made something similar shield in a previous project, Bullet Void, you have to activate it manually to absorb incoming shots, but you cannot hold it forever as it depletes quickly and have to be let off to recharge. Right now in the prototype, there is a similar shield, but it's fully automatic.

It's not available in the prototype because of poor balance and bugs, but I also programmed a close combat attack. It can send projectiles back, like nuclear in throne. It may be an active, engaging defensive mechanism. I sure love it in nuclear throne!

Glad you like the art Smiley Thanks for your time!

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 05:59:35 AM »

Is the outerspace free-roam like in the ships?

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2016, 06:27:43 AM »

Yes, but in this prototype there is only one possible destination, the rest of the space being infinitely empty. If I make a real game out of this concept, the space travel will indeed be totally free.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2016, 02:06:15 PM »

Yes, but in this prototype there is only one possible destination, the rest of the space being infinitely empty. If I make a real game out of this concept, the space travel will indeed be totally free.

Gotcha.. any plans to continue working on this?

It was literally last week I was imagining a free-roaming adventure SHMUP and it looks like you have delivered Smiley

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2016, 02:35:44 PM »

Gotcha.. any plans to continue working on this?

It was literally last week I was imagining a free-roaming adventure SHMUP and it looks like you have delivered Smiley

More than plans, actually I'm developping an "engine" (a bunch of scripts) in Game Maker to make top down games. Not to mention, the game would use this engine. I've even made some specific scripts for a top down shooter.

Here is the devlog of the engine: The Skazventure Engine.

Once this stuff will be advanced enough, I'll probably start a devlog for the real project. Time will tell!

I've also made a few researches for in game sprites, you can find them in my Deviant Art page (link in my sig).

Thanks for your interest!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic