Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411503 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:53:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallTo the people of good will
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: To the people of good will  (Read 549 times)
michaelgabrielr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2016, 09:33:28 AM »

Dear fellow gamers and developers,

My name is Michael.
Long ago, I dreamed of becoming a game developer, but everything in my life, it seems, kept getting in the way.
Recently I fell deathly sick, been through surgery and am currently on chemotherapy.
I could barely breathe, but the thought of making this one project a reality kept me alive.
However the sluggish pace at which it is going is slowly sapping my remaining strength.
I cannot do this on my own.
Could please you help me with making it?

The high concept

It's a Souls-like with TCG elements.
Think of it as "Dark Souls meets Magic: The Gathering". (seasoned with bits of Castlevania, Devil May Cry and Drakengard here and there)

You explore the world with your character, beating bosses, discovering new gear and allies/minions you can summon - and even more worlds to explore!
Ideally, the game would have invasions, playable bosses and other cross-world functionality.

What's the game's story?

One day, a young scientist wakes up from a wonderful dream.
He dreamed of 7 beautiful maidens: a dragon of love, a raptor of joy, a unicorn of peace, a lioness of goodness, a phoenix of faithfulness, a swan of gentleness and a serpent of self-control.
All of them captivated his heart and he was certain that he will one day meet them again.

But the dream was soon over and there were more pressing matters to attend to.
This is the day he presents his latest invention to the world - a fantasy-themed world made possible by his father's technology.
All the while, he is being observed by an android that watches over time in hopes of finding a way to seal away an ancient evil - the same evil that would storm the presentation in the guise of a security guard.
That was the day the scientist's father have lost his last chance at regaining his reputation after his last experiment nearly destroyed the entire city.
He was no longer reliable in the eyes of the government and was soon assassinated.

This pushed the young scientist to speed up his experiments on immortality.
However, instead of a body transfer, the experiment resulted in a cybernetic clone, who took over his identity.
Unable to die however, the young scientist watched as the years went by.
After a world-wide calamity that wiped out every living thing except humans, the impostor made the people dependent on his technology to live and soon became the world's dictator.
In the meantime, the young scientist, unable to die, became a dried husk among the ruins of a city-state that was forming around him.
His remains were discovered by the rebels and, revitalized, he soon became a new rebel leader against the dictator.

It turns out that in his absence, the fantasy world that he and his father presented was in fact implemented long ago on a distant island.
He eventually reaches the island, but his quest is far from over.
The multi-layered world seems to be ravaged by the self-proclaimed monster hunters (who hunt all non-terrans, dragons included).

Is there any way to stop them?
Will the young scientist finally meet the 7 maidens?
Will he unite the multi-layered world and become its king?
Perhaps with its combined strength, the fantasy world could withstand the dictator's forces!

(mind you, this is just a short summary of an elaborate story inside an intricate lore-rich setting - enough to populate multiple expansions)

Example mechanics

-The combat will neither be a mindless button masher, nor a waiting game.
For example, sword slashes would depend on the blade's angle for slashes and parries.

-There will be an item that heals the player at the cost of shifting the world around you, much like shifting between realms in Soul Reaver. Like the "world tendency" effects from Demon's Souls, this could be used to unlock hidden paths, solve puzzles or simply boost your troops that have affinity for the realm you shift to (like plants).

-covenant idea: (Knights Errant) co-op and miniboss-focused team that rewards with glitch-like abilities.
-covenant idea: (Legion Soul) unique form of co-op - sacrifice equipment slots to host symbiotic players. Highest tier grants the ability to transform into Phalanx-like creature.
-covenant idea: (Heirs of the Crownless Crown) covenant of Crownless King Jeremiah, the "king in yellow". Take command of the Crownless (think: Nobodies from Kingdom Hearts) in other worlds. Highest tier allows to posses bosses with the yellow garb.

-unlike other similar games, it would be super-easy to find players to play with, thanks to a robust player listing and lobby system

Who am I looking for?

Although I'm a programmer myself, I could always use some help.
Recently Unity 3D switched to subscription-based for its Pro version, so I dropped it.
But recently Unreal Engine 4 became available for free (with 3% off of what the game makes, if anything).
I'm trying to learn the new engine as fast as I can, but it might take a while, so a person already experienced with it would be more than welcome.

A 3D artist would be very important.
Although I'm currently learning Blender, quite honestly I'm not that great with 3D models.
I'm a huge fan of retro games, so the graphics don't even have to be next-gen.

Now that I'm thinking, a help from a 2D artist would also be nice.
Who else would make those beautiful illustrations on cards, character portraits and perhaps concept art?

Composer or a musician would be very welcome.
While I did experiment with mixing together a few samples long ago, a person who knows what he's doing could do a lot more and better.
Come to think of it, I wonder if Hellkite Drake is busy at the moment... (if you haven't heard of him, check out his amazing music, especially the "Father of Giants" track!)

Of course, at some point I'd probably need voice actors to do the voices for characters and NPCs.

Aside from that, if you have gameplay ideas you're also feel free to share them here.

Is there anyone I'm missing? Just let me know!

What do I offer in return?

Aside from the obligatory name in the credits, I have a few other ideas.
Ever wanted to see your painting or a statue within the game?
How about your character as an NPC? (boss/mini-boss, invader, merchant - you name it!)
Maybe a legendary item that belonged to him/her?
Well, now is your chance!

In any case, your name will be remembered and your contribution will be made known.
Let this game be a celebration of the Souls-like genre and the people that made it possible!
If anything, this game will become a reality thanks to the people with a big heart and good will.

Growth plan

I want to make this game as long as I live.
Whether it means a few months or few years, this is what I want to do.
This means that, ideally I'd like to make expansions and add-ons, just like Magic: The Gathering periodically releases new blocks and takes players to new locations with new strategies.

That would require a more permanent team onboard the project.
Currently, due to my health, I cannot promise anything, only my deepest gratitude that you offer your precious time to make this project possible (plus the above, if I can find help).
But if the game suddenly blows up to become a huge success and you're here to stay to continue to make it happen... then we'll definitely come to an agreement!

The bottom line is that I want people to create something they truly believe in - a game we've been all waiting for!
I really believe that this is the kind of game people were waiting for and what they really need.
Will you help me make it become a reality?

Regards,

-Michael
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:42:21 AM by michaelgabrielr » Logged
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 02:31:10 PM »

Is this to be a free or commercial game?

Did you now that the Unity Personal Edition has all the features of the Pro version? It might be better to use that if you are already proficient with Pro. It'll be quicker than learning a new engine. Also you can still buy the Pro version outright instead of subscribing. In fact it can be much cheaper to go through a third party reseller and buy it outright.

Will there be contracts? It may be an uncomfortable subject, but if your health is really that bad you owe it to everyone involved in the project to make sure they are legally protected should the worst happen.

How much of the project is already done? You kind of imply that you've been working on it for a while but never definitively state how much work is already done.

How much influence will any collaborator have on the project? People are more willing to work on stuff if they can become more invested in the project.

michaelgabrielr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 11:05:36 AM »

Is this to be a free or commercial game?

Hmm...
Now that I think of it, it may not a simple yes or no answer.
I think it would be a good thing to do what Wizards of the Coast did with Magic: The Gathering.

While they did have more fancy boxed stuff, if you played MTG, do you remember when you first picked your color and got your very first deck?
It was completely free and allowed you to get a taste of the color's specific strategy.
The rest of the cards you probably got either through stuff like booster drafts, getting a specific card online or digging through a pile of old cards, which were dirt-cheap.
With a game, it could be even better, since people would be able to unlock new stuff through playing.
And by that I really do mean playing - I'm not a huge fan of grinding (I always try to find ways around it) and I consider timers and "energy" systems downright anti-gaming.
What's better - in MTG some of the older cards are harder to get, because they're out of print, but with a game the player can get every card ever created.

That's how it was done back in the day - hidden characters and secret weapons were a commonplace.
When I didn't have a memory card yet, I played Tekken all the time to unlock those hidden extras.
But nowadays people are charged for stuff like costumes, which is a real shame - they used to be and should be unlockables in the first place!

I understand that the extra stuff cost extra time and effort from the developers.
On one had, games like Minecraft used to release continuous free updates, which expanded the games drastically.
On the other hand, developers used to release expansions, which were a big thing and costed almost as much as the base game.
But I think there could be a middle ground here.
Something that would allow the players to support the developers and their continuous efforts, while also making this optional and allowing people to freely enjoy the newly-created content.
That's why I think, for an ever-growing game, this model would be the most fitting.

What do you think?

Did you now that the Unity Personal Edition has all the features of the Pro version? It might be better to use that if you are already proficient with Pro. It'll be quicker than learning a new engine. Also you can still buy the Pro version outright instead of subscribing. In fact it can be much cheaper to go through a third party reseller and buy it outright.

The thing is, I'm not really proficient with Unity or Unreal for that matter (yet).
I've read their recent announcement and they're going to discontinue their regular model with Unity, starting early this year.
Their newer versions will be subscription-based only and, worst still, those who bought their current version will no longer receive updates!
That's one reason I began learning Unreal.

The other one comes down to pricing.
With Unity, you'll end up having to pay for the engine even if the game is no longer selling. Also, it's a license per seat - bad news for those who want to work in any kind of team.
With Unreal, it's 3% on what the game is making. If the game is not selling, then there's no risk for the developer. On the other hand, if the game is selling like crazy, personally I think they deserve that 3%, since they undeniably contributed to that success.

Do you have a better idea?

Will there be contracts? It may be an uncomfortable subject, but if your health is really that bad you owe it to everyone involved in the project to make sure they are legally protected should the worst happen.

I'm not sure what do you consider sufficiently "legally protected", but if you want a piece of my mind on the topic, then hear this:
Leaving my family with debt to anyone or with legal trouble is not a thing I'd want to happen.
So paying up when (or especially when) the worst happens, is not going to happen.
I hope that I made myself clear.
That's why I didn't go with stuff like angel investors, loans, credit card dept, burrowing anything or even with a Kickstarter campaign.
Plus, it's a surefire way to sift through people that just want to take advantage of me and find people who really enjoy what they do and put their heart and soul into it.
A Souls game made of souls - quite fitting indeed, don't you think?
That is the best kind of game and what we all need.

However, I do understand where the concern comes from and you guys really have to help me on that one.
I never had to deal with legal work - hope there will be someone ready to guide me through this.
Because it's some serious (and often scary) stuff you've brought up, I want it to be done with the uttermost care.
Why does, what was meant to be my hobby, has to be part of someone else's sorrow?
I cannot do this to my old folks.

I'd say, if you cannot do charity work, then don't do it.
If you can't do something because you like it, don't do it.
If you can't just do it for the name in the credits, just like I did it for project AM2R, then don't do it.
It's simple as that.

I shouldn't even be alive by now, but it looks like the world is going to get this awesome new game instead.
Isn't that a thing to celebrate?

That being said, some form of contract will definitely be needed in the later stages of growth.
In any case, I definitely trust that we'll come to some sort of an agreement that will be reasonable to all of us.
I don't want anyone to feel hurt or left out.
I just want to make this great game a reality.
Will you help me?

How much of the project is already done? You kind of imply that you've been working on it for a while but never definitively state how much work is already done.

Where do I even begin...
Yes, I've been doing this for quite a while - that doesn't mean I have much to show for it.
There were a lot of dead ends and often I had to start from scratch for a multitude of reasons.
Only recently I gained enough experience to reasonably pull this off.
The story as it currently is only took shape some 3 years ago.
About a year ago I finished my informal design document.

Currently, I am writing a book in parallel, as it's easier to make than a game and that way I could preserve the story in some form.
As of writing right now, I completed the prologue and two chapters, which all total to about 40 sub-chapters.
Also, the basic knowledge compendium is already published online for all to see.
Plus I've got plenty of concept art to show, if you like.

Now I'm learning new tools (like Unreal and Blender) and trying to assemble a team.

Of course, it's not my full-time job and I'm doing all of this at my own pace, when I feel like it.
I've got plenty of recovery ahead of me, you know.

How much influence will any collaborator have on the project? People are more willing to work on stuff if they can become more invested in the project.

The knowledge compendium and the design doc should provide the basis, but aside from that, I left much room for inspiration.
I've designed the setting with growth, improvement and creativity in mind.
There will always be room for another boss, level, covenant, character or piece of gear.
It's only a matter of when it's going to be done.

I hope this answers most of your questions.

Take care,

-Michael
ModalModule
Level 0

Composer for hire!! :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 05:31:10 PM »

Man that's brutal! I wish for a full recovery for you! Meanwhile, I am a composer, and this sounds like a game is love to make music for, so if it does ever get off the ground, keep my name in your pocket.
Best of luck bud!! Smiley

Composer for hire! If you need music, of any kind, email: [email protected]
Current OSTs: http://modalmodule.bandcamp.com
My soundcloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/stephan-kalani-seguin
My YouTube:  http://www.youtube.com/user/Kalaniseguin
michaelgabrielr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 09:55:49 AM »

Man that's brutal! I wish for a full recovery for you!

Thanks, me too.
I might yet have a chance of living a normal life.
It's impossible to cure, it's lethal if left untreated but it at least can be suppressed.
Thankfully, I'm in one of the only three countries in the entire world that actually have any medications for it.
Best case scenario is that I'll be taking pills for the rest of my life.
Still, it's better than the fate I narrowly avoided (due to the incompetence of my former doctors) - having a gaping hole in my chest, being stuck in a wheelchair while waiting for a kidney transplant.
Heck! When I visited my current doctor, I had little more than a quarter of a lung to work with.
But at last now I seem to be in good hands.
Too bad I didn't get there sooner.

Meanwhile, I am a composer, and this sounds like a game is love to make music for, so if it does ever get off the ground, keep my name in your pocket.

Hey, that's excellent news!
On the topic of music, you know what would be cool?
I don't know if you remember how it was done in "Soul Reaver" or "Banjo Kazooie", but these had music that adapted to different situations (like encountering enemies etc.).
I wonder how difficult would be to achieve this effect...

If you're curious about my progress, I'm currently done with the 11-part video tutorial series "Intro to the UE4 Editor".
I already read "Introduction to C++ Programming in UE4" before, so I think I'll go with learning blueprints, then I try out some of the programming tutorials.
In parallel, I'll see if I can do the 6-part "Getting started with Blender" video tutorial.

My devlog will be here (pardon the mess): https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=40304

...oh, and I beat Nito today on my DEX build - nowhere near as hard as the 4 Kings.
Divine reinforced club works like a charm on these skeletons.
Up next is Seath.

Best of luck bud!! Smiley

Hey, thanks for being here! Smiley
Joure
Level 0

V for VEKTRA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 10:06:14 AM »

Follow your dream, man. Seriously, go for it. If I wasn't this far along and this committed to my current project I would most likely be able to lend a hand. As it is I just don't have the time nor the resources to deviate from my schedule.

I'll tell you one thing, go for UE4. Do yourself a favor. It's much more worth the effort in learning that engine. I've had a long chat with a friend of mine who knows about both unity, UE4 and UDK as well and he was very clear about the fact that UE4 is much more centralized when it comes to coding due to how the code base is set up.

I am no programmer I am mostly just a Level Designer, but my game is built by me alone all in blueprints and I can attest that within 4 to 5 months you'll be making your own game and things will get smoother from there on. It's incredibly liberating to be able to do things yourself and not have to ask someone else to do it.

That said, I do wish you all the best and I hope your dream will come true. Work hard on it and believe in it !!!!

michaelgabrielr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 01:28:47 PM »

Follow your dream, man. Seriously, go for it. If I wasn't this far along and this committed to my current project I would most likely be able to lend a hand. As it is I just don't have the time nor the resources to deviate from my schedule.

Thanks for words of encouragement. Smiley
Sorry for the long wait, but recovery from my last treatment took me longer than ever and the next one is in few weeks.
That poison leaves me barely able to function for couple of days straight.
Even after all of this is done, I still will be weak, not being able to put my 100% into my project, which means a whole world to me.
It would have been such a relief if I didn't have to solo this.
Thankfully, with people like VedranR and possibly modalmodule, this game might be completed a lot sooner.
Let's make it the next game of the year! :D

And what I've been busy in the meantime?
Well, I finished the tutorial I previously mentioned, plus half of another one, so I learned the basics of Blender and plan of modelling that spaceship in the next few lessons.
I still need to find something good that would teach me how to rig and animate stuff. Anyone knows a good tutorial on this?

Aside from that, I had to redesign my control scheme from the ground up to allow for greater freedom of interaction and fighting.
In a way, I was inspired by Nethack, Undertale and arcade fighting games. (try wrapping your head around that!)
Mapping all of this to a controller in a way that would make sense was a challenge, but I managed to do it! Smiley
As a result, I've ended up with something unlike I've ever seen in games.
Pretty cool, right?

Studying arcade games also allowed me to design a better, clearer, more polished tutorial that is both fun and respects the player's time.
Check this article out, for example: http://insomnia.ac/commentary/arcade_culture/
This guy talks about why arcade games had intuitive controls, no padding, why they were challenging in the first place, why did the "one quarter" or "no continues" rule came to be and how it (similarly to limited lives on the consoles) helped us to start over, learn from our mistakes, practice and ultimately become better gamers for it.

Anyway, you remember how a mod site for a specific game is usually named "(GameTitle) Nexus"?
I was thinking of a way to allow mods and came up with something in-between "Team Fortress 2", nexus from "Demon's Souls" and the Doodle City un-game from "I, Robot".
Why not have something like the Nexus from "Demon's Souls", where one could load their own files into the game?
What do you think?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic