Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:18:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUnknown Sequence - Procedural sci-fi game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Unknown Sequence - Procedural sci-fi game  (Read 2939 times)
Blueginger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2016, 09:59:13 AM »

PROLOGUE

I awaken from the shattered cloning tube. Cold and shaken.. Something has gone very wrong and my memory is still a blur. But gradually i realise the planet is sentient with murderous intent..

So many questions on my mind.. How is this planet self aware? And why is it dark all the time? Why am i in a cloning tube? I have died multiple times to the creatures and machines that inhabit this planet but yet i always ended up in the cloning tube, inflicted with different genetic flaws. I have to learn how to overcome my genetic flaws and maybe.. even use it to my advantage. Luckily my memories have always remained, even on death which i am grateful but painful at the same time.. and this allows me to memorise crafting recipes for weapons and utilities to aid me.

Ok, that's the setup for the game and a hint of what the gameplay will be like. The storyline will also be revealed as the player progresses.

GAMEPLAY

Lets have some screenshot to set the mood.

Atmosphere that promotes apprehension and moving shadows will be a big part of the visuals to get players into the mood. You will be wondering constantly what's in the shadows. Some creatures might utilise the shadow regions to get at you or you might use it to your advantage.

At each start of the game, you will be inflicted with a genetic trait/flaw due to imperfections in the cloning technology. For example, nervousness where weapons misfire occasionally but makes you more aware of movement in shadows, weak shoulders makes you unable to handle high recoil weapons properly and so on. I think this part will be an interesting area to explore. We'll see.

Next will be crafting weapons and utility items. I think crafting adds to the mood of my game. For example, you will always have to decide if you want to store this component to craft into better weapons later or use it now just to survive. It's like choosing flat penetration or percentage penetration for your runes in League of Legends if you get what i mean. Having said that, the crafting in this game won't be a complicated full blown affair but enough to procrastinate the player's decision. The weapons will range from ballistic to energy based weapons which will be good against organic and mechanical enemies. Ammo will be scarce if you do not ration well and you might end up using a high-powered laser cannon as a hammer instead..

Lastly, the level layouts in this game are procedurally generated every time. This allows me to just focus on designing interesting modular sections and let the engine mix it up. This also augments my background story that the planet is sentient and constantly trying to confuse the player. I have already spent around 2 months working on this procedural level generator and i think its getting there. Not to mention another 1 month working on a customised 2D lightning system for the game.

DEVELOPMENT LOG

Previously i have worked on some commercial games but I have never maintain a development blog before. And now I am a solo indie developer for this game. I'll do my best to keep this thread updated with screenshots. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Lastly you can visit my WEBSITE if you want to follow my progress on social media

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:00:57 PM by Blueginger » Logged

Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 10:28:16 AM »

Whoa, why no one replied to this? The game looks amazing, I hope you're still working on it Smiley

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
Blueginger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 01:31:19 AM »

Yes i'm still working on it! Its been awhile. I'll probably do another update soon Smiley

Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 02:37:35 AM »

Wow, the art of this is absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to be able to see some gameplay in motion :D

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
roguesleipnir
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 02:41:14 AM »

Those painted backgrounds are gorgeous! Are they also interactive? Like are those dynamic lights?

Edit: Looked through your twitter. It's like AAA level art. Seeing one-man shows like this is inspiring.
SiJaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 03:45:22 AM »

The concept sounds really compelling  Hand Thumbs Up Left

If you can get the balance right for the genetic trait/flaws so that players are able to adjust their strategy, then I can imagine a really compelling gameplay. Is the game turn-based (X-Com, FF:Tactics) or real-time (Zelda)? I would assume turn-based to allow players to focus on those strategic choices, if you want to make that part the key element of your game.

Looking forward to hear more about it!

FundationStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 04:35:47 AM »

Wow!! I love the look of your game. It really makes me want to see more! And i'd be interested to hear more about your gameplay also.

cloudgods
Level 0

im j

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 05:16:38 AM »

Ohhh I've seen this around twitter! I love your visual style. I can't wait to see more of this.

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 05:58:47 AM »

This looks beautiful. Follow! And looking forward to seeing this develop further!

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 06:04:21 AM »

Wow, looks amazing! Definitely post more updates, would love to follow development.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 10:00:02 AM »

I'm looking forward to the updates! Smiley

Blueginger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 08:41:24 AM »

Hey guys, first of all thanks for showing an interest in my game! I was MIA for sometime trying to learn how to do decent art since i'm a programmer Wink
If i could give a 'LIKE' to all your replies, i would! But its not twitter.. I will do another update in the next 2-3 weeks time.

In the meantime, let me do a quick reply to some of your questions

The concept sounds really compelling  Hand Thumbs Up Left

If you can get the balance right for the genetic trait/flaws so that players are able to adjust their strategy, then I can imagine a really compelling gameplay. Is the game turn-based (X-Com, FF:Tactics) or real-time (Zelda)? I would assume turn-based to allow players to focus on those strategic choices, if you want to make that part the key element of your game.

Looking forward to hear more about it!
Yes the balance between genetic traits/flaws AND craft items are inter-related. Currently good and bad traits are paired up together at each playthrough for the user to select. And the pairing depends on a few factors on what the player does in-game. Firstly, this prevents abuse of always choosing good traits but most importantly it shuffles up the play style due to different flaws and might also affect how you craft. Anyway that's the idea but is subject to changes of course Smiley Oh and its real time not really X-com style.

Those painted backgrounds are gorgeous! Are they also interactive? Like are those dynamic lights?

Edit: Looked through your twitter. It's like AAA level art. Seeing one-man shows like this is inspiring.
Yes they are dynamic shadows. Keeps you on your toes on what enemies lie beyond. Things like plants or items needed for crafting are hidden from your line of sight thus promoting exploration at every nooks and crannies and also prevent player from just speed running through.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 08:50:43 AM by Blueginger » Logged

acatalept
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 01:29:52 PM »

Just wanted to add my compliments: art style, color palette, animation... everything looks so nice.

I saw some of your recent updates on Twitter -- would you mind sharing more recent progress information here?

Either way, keep at it, I look forward to seeing more...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic