Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411411 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 09:25:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsWho all would be interested in having an IF compo?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Who all would be interested in having an IF compo?  (Read 17890 times)
mirosurabu
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 06:26:09 AM »

I'm all for IF compo.

I'd be down even more if SWAT/Storytron authoring was allowed.
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 09:04:39 AM »

Sure, but it has lots of rules, and the games are often judged on their high-falutin' literary merit - regardless of the author's intent.

There are very few TIGSource style competitions in the IF community - by which I mean relatively informal competitions that are more about getting people to make games than winning acclaim.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 05:54:07 PM »

Yesterday I looked into Inform, and was amazed! I totally want an IF compo after the present compo. Just think of all the kickass games people could make! I would totally enter for this.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 06:12:17 AM »

Text the Halls was a ton of fun. I'd definitely enter another one.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 02:06:27 PM »

There are very few TIGSource style competitions in the IF community - by which I mean relatively informal competitions that are more about getting people to make games than winning acclaim.

TIGS compos are the best.  Gentleman

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 05:32:30 AM »

I'd love to see another one of these! For reasons unknown, I didn't pay much attention to Text The Halls at the time. The results were wonderful, though.

I'm not sure if I'd participate myself, but I have a friend who's learning how to IF. I'm pretty sure I could bring him over. As Pacian said, the TIG compos are all about making a game. Should seal the deal.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 03:38:48 PM »

I realise that it is better to keep these threads positive and stuff, but I've been aching to enter a compo for some time now, and I would prefer a non-IF theme. Isn't it best with a theme where you can contribute an IF game if you want and any other style too?

The cockpit has been pushing you to make 3D 1st person games (even though that wasn't strictly necessary) and an IF compo would push you in a similar way, so I think it would be better with a freer theme in between, say like the "from an alternative universe" suggestion where you fuck up an existing iconic game.

(Please don't kill me for speaking against the suggestion)

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
increpare
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 03:45:31 PM »

Mika, ludum dare is on in a weekend or two; why not give that a go? (it's a lot of fun Smiley  )
PaleFox
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 08:04:30 PM »

I love IF, and I think a lot of people seem to have had fun with the Christmas IF thing a ways back. Also, the only thing I'm anywhere near competent in is Inform, but that is totally not biasing my opinion.

Seriously, though, I'd like to see a lot more attention drawn to IF, and it seems that the more recent competitions get a lot of coverage, more so than the early ones, and so this could be a good chance to spread the word beyond the inevitable single ifcomp post which all independent gaming sites must make by law.
increpare
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2009, 03:19:17 AM »

I think now might be a good time to start it, with the deadline in two weeks, say?  or maybe it's better to wait until the cockpit compo is properly out of the way?

(ld is on next weekend, so)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 03:29:38 AM »

I will join this with something really simple. Good reason to learn more about Inform.

Important
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 04:25:59 AM »

I'd also be interested in this - in fact so interested I've actually downloaded inform and I'm have a poke around with it. I think a theme or limitation would be a good idea!
genericuser
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2009, 05:43:00 AM »

I'd join in too  Grin
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2009, 10:47:21 AM »

I apologise for making a terrible pun, but you're suggesting starting this as an informal compo, right?, like the love letter one?

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
increpare
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2009, 11:12:08 AM »

oh, I guess I was.
Fuzz
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2009, 05:53:12 PM »

Oh, me too. I think we should have more informal compos.
Rats808
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 01:06:51 PM »

I'm not sure,but wasn't Text the Halls an IF compo?

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=919.0
PaleFox
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 02:36:12 PM »

Yes, it was. It was a ways back, though, Christmas themed, and I don't think that the TIGSource compos were as well noticed at the time as they are now.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2009, 12:27:25 AM »

I would definitely be interested in an IF compo for sure. I wanted to get into the Text the Halls compo but time did not permit. This time though I have a lot more time on my hands. It would be cool even if it wasn't a full fledged compo but a little showcase of IF games by the community. I am down.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Strom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2009, 02:09:34 AM »

I like the idea of a IF compo (Text the halls finished before I knew about this site) but it should allow visual novels as well.

See my Assemblee 2009 2D and 3D work Here. My A Game By Its Cover compo entry Journal of Shikoku.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic