Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:38:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWord Lab: Letter Arsenal devlog (previously unnamed rogue-like)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Word Lab: Letter Arsenal devlog (previously unnamed rogue-like)  (Read 9235 times)
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 05:51:02 PM »

So this week we began to learn how to do 3d modelling since no one seems interested in helping do art.

My other teammate is working on learning animations. That's going ok. Lol.

Anyways, last week we didn't work on the game because I had an appointment to go to.
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 06:53:17 PM »

So yesterday we mostly spent time teaching one of our team members how to better use  Unreal 4. We will probably do that again next week as well.

We did also optimize character movement a little though.
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 07:02:54 PM »

So today, we made some more progress again.

We have begun adding tutorial/helpful elements to the game. The first thing we added was an arrow that points in the direction of your cursor, so in case you lose your cursor while playing, you can still tell where you're firing. Now, we are working on making items in the shop show their prices above them. Besides that, my other teammate began creating a new weapon item for the game. It's a grenade that fires in a random direction when it lands on the ground.

Anyways, thanks again for reading our devlog.

-BGM
Codimal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 01:31:16 PM »

The concept of this game sounds really nice. Kind of an "hardcore" Scribblenauts. There's lots of stuff that can go wrong tho, be careful!  Tongue

BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 06:58:37 PM »

Today a lot of things got done.

First of all, we updated a few things to make them more obvious to new users. For example, I added an arrow to point out the button you need to press to bring up the keyboard, while my teammate added a new texture to the button to start the minigame and a new texture to the exit portal to make them more obvious.

My other teammate was working on his new item, and its almost finished. We had to adjust the projectile spawning function because it hasn't been updated for the explosions since we re-adjusted it a while ago. So that happened.

Also some bugs were fixed and that was fun. Some more bugs were also found, lol.

The concept of this game sounds really nice. Kind of an "hardcore" Scribblenauts. There's lots of stuff that can go wrong tho, be careful!  Tongue

Haha, thanks! We'll be careful, lol.

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2016, 08:31:38 PM »

Hello again,

This past Friday, we were mostly working on adding more tutorial-ish things to the game. One teammate was working on adding more effects to the end portal to make it more obvious. He added a glow effect to it and the minigame button. He also added a floating arrow to it, so that it can be seen well. My other teammate finished working on his new grenade item. I was working on fixing bugs mostly.

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2016, 07:00:54 PM »

Hello!

First off, starting this week, we now meet twice a week, on Friday and Saturday. This helped a lot already, as we have essentially doubled the amount of time we work on the project.

This week was mostly us fixing bugs. We also found a lot of bugs today and yesterday that are now almost all fixed. A lot of them were related to weapons and other items, but there were a couple of UI fixes as well (Like the Weapon bar accidentally eating the other UI elements if you dragged it over the weapon bar lol).

Besides that, one of my teammates was working on adding an arrow to the UI to explain how to equip upgrades to your weapon. Unfortunately that hasn't been cooperating very well, so for now we've decided to just make some UI changes to explain to users how to do it. That's still in progress I think.

Next week we are aiming for another release build (0.0.32). We might even be able to begin a new development phase ("Phase 4"), which would be really exciting. We have a couple of major additions to add and a couple of bugs to fix before that's going to happen though. Since we now work twice a week though, I think it's possible to finish next week.

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 07:07:41 PM »

So today, we released a new build! 0.0.32 Alpha is available in the first post.

We are now using itch.io for downloads to more easily manage how downloading works.

Anyways, we also fixed a ton of bugs the past couple of days. We are now almost ready to move on to the next phase of the project. We are still looking for an artist and a 3d modeller, though.

Also, the options menu (specifically keybindings) has been updated to look nicer, in terms of the layout.

Thanks for reading, and please download our game! We'd like some feedback.

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2016, 02:11:43 PM »

This weekend, we finally are in the next phase of the project.

We fixed a lot of bugs this weekend, and also I added a new button that locks all of the UI elements so you don't drag them while playing.

Some code was optimized, which caused a couple of large bugs last week, which were fixed this weekend.

Things coming up in this next phase includes adding different room layouts, adding multiple levels each with different bosses, along with new AI in general.

-BGM
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2016, 03:11:07 PM »

that seems like a bit of a mouthful, have you considered a more concise title
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2016, 04:06:42 PM »

So this week we added a few more features.

First of all, we added a feature where if you spawned an item somewhere else on the level and don't want to go back to pick it up, you can type it in again and it will teleport to you. It does cost the letters to spawn it, though.

Secondly, we have begun to add room layouts. There are now obstacles in each room for you and the AI to navigate around.

Our next goal is to basically fix all the AI, because they have problems with the new obstacles, lol.

We also plan on adding elements to the game. They technically already exist, but they do nothing at the moment. I plan on making them stronger or weaker depending on the element they are fighting.

Anyways, that's all for this week.

-BGM

that seems like a bit of a mouthful, have you considered a more concise title
If you're being sarcastic, lol. If you are being serious, we don't have a name for the game yet, so yeah.
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2016, 11:33:27 AM »

So I forgot to do this on Saturday/Sunday, been kinda busy this week.

Anyways, this week one of my teammates added different room layouts and obstacles. Before, all rooms were empty rooms with just enemies that spawned.

Now, we have some room layouts and obstacles that spawn in the rooms. They are all still square rooms, but they have things in them now..

My other teammate was working on adding doors to the game, so you can't leave a room through the doors until you kill all enemies in the room. You can still jetpack out of the room if you have that item though.

I added elemental types and weaknesses/resistances now, so you can make your weapon electric type, or poison type, etc. I also added status effects, but they aren't actually implemented yet, they just exist in code for now.

I also added a new UI for a new type of item called a "Secondary Item". Currently we have no "Secondary Items" in the game, but they would include rings that give bonus effects, and maybe other items as well. They are kinda like equips except yo can only have one at a time and it's droppable/removable.

That's all for this week. Thanks for reading!

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2016, 11:41:22 PM »

This past week, we added doors that work now and close when you enter a room and open when all enemies in the room die.

Also, the AI has been overhauled to work better now.

Besides that, I am in the process of creating a company, so that's pretty exciting.

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 07:03:10 PM »

So this week we added a new item type, Secondary items, that has effects you can activate when you kill enough enemies. Currently there's only 3 of these new items, but we'll probably be adding more later.

One teammate has been working on overhauling the stats code, since its actually partially broken, and the last time we looked at it was like almost a year ago probably, so its good to go back after we now know UE4 better.

Also this week I've added a bunch of code for status effects to be in the game. They theoretically work but aren't implemented yet, so they're untested.

My other teammate has been working on AI and stuff for a few weeks now, and this week he figured out how to spawn enemies without sticking them inside an obstacle object, which is good, lol.

Anyways, that's all this week I think.

-BGM
ahmio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 08:06:11 PM »

Interesting idea. Maybe you could even consider randomizing names through playthroughs?
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2016, 01:19:35 PM »

Interesting idea. Maybe you could even consider randomizing names through playthroughs?

What do you mean by that? Random names of the items? I would think that would make the game pretty difficult to play just because you wouldn't know how to spawn items basically.
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2016, 11:43:51 AM »

Last week we met on different days cause I went on a trip to LA. So last week we got a lot of things done.

One teammate finished his overhaul of the stats code, which hasn't been touched in a long time. The code wasn't working perfectly and so we needed to fix it, and he decided to, and ended up having to rewrite it.

My other teammate began working on redoing AI, based on the new room layouts.

-BGM
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2016, 07:45:07 PM »

Been following for a while - just wanted to say hi and that I like the concept, and I'll try to take a look at the test build soon!  Beer!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Random_NPC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2016, 03:55:43 PM »

Been following for a while - just wanted to say hi and that I like the concept, and I'll try to take a look at the test build soon!  Beer!

Hello to you too.  Beer!
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2016, 07:48:50 PM »

So this week, we have done a lot more things.

I added a keyboard shortcut for opening the spawn item UI, which was actually more work than it seemed, because the textbox for inputting item names was taking all of the inputs from the user, even if it wasn't a printable letter. There was a function I overrode to fix this problem, and now it works.

My teammate has been working on implementing our new AI system. We used to have it so any AI with any characteristics could spawn, and now it's being changed so that we have preset AI types that will be spawned into the rooms.

My other teammate was working on projectiles, because some of them were laggy, and others didn't work correctly. So he's been fixing those up.

That's all for this week.

-BGM
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 09:02:51 AM by BananasGoMoo » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic