Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:22:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWord Lab: Letter Arsenal devlog (previously unnamed rogue-like)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Word Lab: Letter Arsenal devlog (previously unnamed rogue-like)  (Read 9294 times)
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2016, 07:24:16 PM »

So this past week, we did a lot more things.

I added the ability to control any menu by using the arrow keys or a gamepad analog stick/d-pad. This wasn't too complicated, since there were built in options for it. Also I finally fixed a bug where the UI could be dragged off the screen, lol.

One teammate has been working on updating projectiles so they can have more variety. My other teammate has continued to work on new AI.

We also have someone who has started helping us, but it's probably only temporarily, while he has time. He has been helping us with making the map be able to be seeded, so we can input a seed and it will produce the same map every time for that seed.

-BGM
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2016, 07:32:57 PM »

seems interesting. looking forward to seeing how you beat out the competition in your own way. i hope.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2016, 01:13:08 PM »

This past week, we decided that our project was getting very large, so we began writing documentation for easier reference to each feature in our game. Me and one teammate worked on that, and we got pretty far so far.

My other teammate has continued working on making a better projectile system.

The teammate who was working on AI had to stop because he encountered a bug with AI detection, so he asked on the Unreal AnswerHub, and has gotten replies, so hopefully that gets worked out this week.

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2016, 07:53:05 PM »

Hello again,

This week, we continued working on documentation and a few exciting things.

Besides documentation, the new AI branch is now stable and has been merged into the game, as well as the new projectiles. There are still more AI and projectiles to add, but the existing ones are all now working.

Also, the person who has been helping us with adding seeds to the game has pushed what seems to be a stable setup as well, so this coming week, we should end up having a working new build for the public to test. Fingers crossed!

We will be moving into the next phase once we release this coming build.

-BGM

PS: Anyone looking to download the test build, I would recommend waiting until we release our next build (since it should be real soon), cause a lot of new things have been added since the last build.
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2016, 12:24:42 AM »

SO as you may have noticed, we still haven't released a new build.

We have one last thing to do and once that's done, we'll be ready to release. I think we can get it done this week.

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2016, 11:56:49 PM »

This past week we were working on a few things we needed to do before we release a build.

1: I worked on making it easier to see yourself behind a wall. Instead of making all the walls transparent, The ground now highlights underneath each obstacle. This makes it easier to see where you can and cannot walk. I also made it so the player, enemies and traps are outlined behind walls.

2: My teammate finished fixing one enemy type he was having issues with before.

3: My other teammate has been working on one weapon that was broken previously.

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2016, 11:40:17 AM »

Ok, we just released version 0.0.40!

There are a lot of new things! We updated the menus a bit, we added seeding for levels (so you can now input a seed to play on). We also updated the AI (twice, lol). There are now obstacles in each room, also. Another thing we changed is instead of having transparent objects, the ground under the object is now highlighted. This includes highlighting of the player and AI characters. This feature is under construction.

A lot of the items have been updated, but a few still do not work. If you have any feedback, it would be great to hear!

We are still looking for a 3d artist, in case anyone is interested. The main post will be updated within the next few days.

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2016, 03:27:25 PM »

So this past week, we mostly were just working on fixing up some bugs, as well as begin Phase 5.

We are also going to try and release builds more often, now, so players can be more up to date with changes we make.

Also, we have begun trying to think of a name for the game.

Thanks for reading!

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2016, 04:30:42 PM »

Today, we just released version 0.0.50!

It's available in the main post, and has a few new features.

We also came up with a name. It's "Word Lab: Letter Arsenal". It's a working title, so it may change again in the future.

We also will be posting the game in the playtesting forum, to hopefully get more feedback.

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2016, 06:45:12 PM »

New build: 0.0.50.1!

First of all, a couple new items have been added in this build, as well as a few bugfixes.

We are also working on a tutorial mode that should be available in the next few weeks or so, so keep an eye out for that. With that will be a few bugfixes, as well.

You may have noticed that our main post has been updated as well.

Not much else to report right now, but thanks for reading!

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2016, 07:15:35 PM »

Today, we got a bunch of things done.

First of all, we've almost finished the tutorial.

Also, we've started to learn how to use particles in Unreal Engine, which is pretty useful for a bunch of things/effects.

That's all for now,

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2016, 06:03:06 PM »

New build: 0.0.50.2!

We have updated the game to now include a basic tutorial.

We also added some tron-style textures to the walls and floors. They are being tested currently.

We also made quite a few bugfixes since the last release.

That's pretty much all for the newest build, but currently we are in progress of refactoring the AI a little to make it more robust in future additions to the game. It won't be very noticeable in terms of gameplay, but it'll be good for under the hood things.

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2016, 05:35:10 PM »

So the past week, we haven't worked much on the game.

Instead, we've been working on more documentation, which will make things easier in the future, hopefully.

That's all for now,

-BGM
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2016, 06:45:30 AM »

Tron textures sound intriguing!

BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2017, 02:46:57 PM »

Tron textures sound intriguing!

Thanks, yeah they look a lot better than the all-gray placeholder we've been using lol

Anyways, we're back to working on programming again, we're done with documentation for now.

I've added a few more new item this week, and also began working on a new system for temporary buffs/debuffs on a character. It's still under construction but should be done soon.

We have also been working on consolidating the different projectiles, because we don't need as many as we have.
Also, we now have models for all the letters that the player picks up, thanks to my friend who decided to help out since we haven't been able to get anyone to do 3D models. He's still learning, but it's a lot better than not having any models lol.

More updates soon, and also possibly another build next week.

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2017, 08:29:36 PM »

Last week we finished a few things,

First of all, I finished writing the new temporary buff/debuff code, so now we've started adding the items that required that to the game.

Also I updated the status effect code to be in the same style as the new buff system, which means it can now be used anywhere, instead of only being usable in the floor traps.

The projectile consolidation I talked about last week is almost done now. There was an issue with UE4 that caused it to not be able to be finished last week, but that should be fixed now.

Thanks for reading,

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2017, 10:04:33 PM »

Today, we are releasing version 0.0.50.3!

This includes some new items, some of them using the new temporary buff system.

Some of the AI are currently under construction, and just a note: currently there is a bug that if you step on a dead body too much, it may cause your character to launch up really high in the air, so I recommend avoiding that.

There were also quite a few bugfixes in relation to previous items that hadn't been updated since we rehauled the stats system a while ago. The release is available on the itch.io page in the main post.

Thanks for reading,

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2017, 06:19:02 PM »

Hi again guys!

There's no build his week unfortunately, but it's for a good reason!

We have decided to make a new item type, in order to fit in some mechanics that we were unable to fit in using our current set of item types.

There will be a new item type that lets you use it at least once, sometimes a few times, and then it disappears. It's similar to instant items, except it's used whenever you want, and can be potentially used multiple times.

The reason we didn't make a release is because the new system for the new item type is partially implemented, so some currently existing items no longer function, and there are some errors caused by the unfinished system. Also there is no UI indicator for the new item type.

The new item type along with a build should be finished by next week.

Also, forgot to mention, but I've started school as of last week, so we'll be having less time to work on the game for now, but we will still work on it at least once a week (were previously working twice a week).

Thanks, for reading,

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2017, 11:25:49 PM »

Hey again,

So this week we have been working a lot on adding more items to the game. Also I have been adding icons to all the items we already have in the game.

We didn't release a build yet because the Projectiles are currently under construction again, so the game wouldn't be very playable at the moment.

Hopefully next week we will have a build incoming.

Thanks for reading,

-BGM
BananasGoMoo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2017, 10:08:23 PM »

So this week we actually got quite a bit done.

First of all, I started learning how to use Gameplay Tags in UE4, because it's much more accessible now since the latest update.

Also, we finally finished the new projectiles update, so that has been integrated.

Unfortunately, some of the AI are now having issues, so we are working on that now.

Thanks for reading,

-BGM
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic