Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:26:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHow Do You Prioritize Side Projects?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How Do You Prioritize Side Projects?  (Read 890 times)
jddg5wa
Level 1

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2016, 12:31:43 AM »

As the title says; how do you prioritize or set aside time for projects that you aren't able to work on fully? Say you have projects, let's call them project X, that hold more importance in the moment but another project, project Y, that might do better in the long run. How do you handle actually spending time on project Y?

I find, in my own experiences, idea that "if you don't start now it's too late" seems to ring true. It is often hard for me to set aside time to start. I have the time but when I think of starting project Y the pressure of finishing project X, sooner than later, gets in the way. Although I know finishing project X a day sooner wouldn't be as beneficial as putting a day into getting project Y started.

Do you guys manage to prioritize time to side project? How? What do you consider when deciding to work on project Y instead of project X?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:38:30 AM by jddg5wa » Logged

"Around here, however, we don't look back for very long. We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 04:09:23 AM »

my approach is: no side projects, ever. if i start to work on a side project, it's usually the death knell for my main project.
jddg5wa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 06:52:50 AM »

my approach is: no side projects, ever. if i start to work on a side project, it's usually the death knell for my main project.

Well, to flip what I originally asked. What if you want the side project to become your main project but the current main projects will fund the side project? By your approach it is still be better to just wait then and finish the current projects?

With the existence of two mindsets "start now or you probably wont" or "focus on one task at a time" it's hard to know which is right. Sorry if I am asking too much here. This project would be a big undertaking and I want to do so properly. That's basically what I am looking for experiences of; if anyone has gone through this.

"Around here, however, we don't look back for very long. We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 07:10:12 AM »

sorry, i think i didn't express myself clearly enough. what i meant was, usually when i want to work on a side project it's a sign that i'm losing motivation for my current "main" project. and when i actually start working on the side project, that motivation ends up disappearing completely and i abandon the old project.

With the existence of two mindsets "start now or you probably wont" or "focus on one task at a time" it's hard to know which is right.

i think this is something you will have to figure out on your own tbh, but sharing experiences helps of course. for me, starting quickly is usually a bad idea because more often than not i'll abandon the project just as quickly. i need to think new ideas through for a while to gauge whether i actually have the dedication to complete a project.
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 08:38:01 AM »

From my own personal observations, I think my projects tend to die when there is not any sense of a concrete plan. No checklists, no well-articulated goals, nothing; just me and my ambition. Any dip in momentum tends to lay waste to my projects fairly quickly unless its small enough (jam game/1GAM entry/etc.) I can struggle through it.

My point: if you have even a partial roadmap or to-do list, it can make coming back to something later--be it a few days or a few weeks--much easier. You don't need something entirely planned out, but just something you can pull until the work queue with minimal hassle. You can decide whether or not its beneficial to start a new project or not, but keeping the main project at least warm and well-kept might keep it alive.
magius96
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 01:28:33 PM »

Side projects for me are often created as an attempt for me to practice using certain tech, or to play around with and learn some new concept.  For this reason, when a side project spins off, I follow it to completion then return to my main project with all the new found knowledge that I learned.

Side projects are always some small thing that can be done in 1/100th the time of the main project. The hope is that by following them to completion I can release them as small ad-supported games and use any revenue from them to help pay for any assets that I need for the main project.  This also helps to put a few more titles under my belt, and show anyone following my progress what I am capable of.

As mentioned by Photon, you do have to have some way of tracking your progress for this to work.  I use Trello to keep track of what I need to do.  I also have my GIT repository where I can easily see what I've done(if I commit with good comments.)

- Jason Yarber (Magius96)
Website - Twitter - YouTube - Facebook
Gurigraphics
Level 0

Gurigraphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 11:30:20 AM »

Side projects for me are often created as an attempt for me to practice using certain tech, or to play around with and learn some new concept.  For this reason, when a side project spins off, I follow it to completion then return to my main project with all the new found knowledge that I learned.

I also do the same. ^ ^ Many practical studies and experiments eventually became a demo or prototype.

About organization, I agree with the Photon. I use folders separated and notepad. And notes that can be used in various projects I keep in Google Keep. I do not waste time with a lot of organization. What I need is just to know where are the informations when I need - if needed.

With the prototype or demo developed, then yes is the time to better organize the codes and separate the modules. This stage, organization is key. The more organized code, easier to find bugs and expand code.

This stage is not more creative. So no use to hurry nor ramify more, because then we lose time correcting what we thought it was not necessary to be fixed or made more detailed.

About the indecision, as Silbereisen commented It is all about mindset. The project is just outside. I think that all that can be reused, and is less singular, is a sign that should be done with more attention and dedication of time. All depends on where the need arises. This is the hierarchy of side projects - and also of the Maslow pyramid.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 06:08:32 PM »

My main project is basically an amalgamation of my side projects. So... working on my side projects directly benefits my main project.

So... is it really a "side project?" O.o

magius96
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 08:09:11 PM »

My main project is basically an amalgamation of my side projects. So... working on my side projects directly benefits my main project.

LOL.  If those side projects never panned out into a separate application or game, then I'd say no they aren't.  But in my case, I make it point to push them through to a completed product so they are side projects.

- Jason Yarber (Magius96)
Website - Twitter - YouTube - Facebook
Tanner Fruit Fly
Level 0

Tanner sticks the pen up his nose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 10:21:11 PM »

This is something I think every creative person has to deal with at one point or another, and there really isn't a direct answer to it either, from what I've seen.

However, from my past experiences, the best thing you can do is to never let go of those fleeting "side-project" ideas, and keep note of them. I tend to get ideas for one project when I'm working on another, or when I'm just out and about doing something unrelated to work entirely. Make sure you always have something on your person that you can use to write things down, like a small notepad or even an app that lets you save text documents on your phone. You never know when inspiration will strike. Occasionally the brain just needs to think about other things, or explore new ideas when it's been going 110% on your main project. If you find yourself thinking a lot about other things, don't take this as a sign that your main project is no longer interesting, or that it's dead. Sometimes we just have to step back and experience something different for a brief period of time to bring us into a change of perspective, and give us a clear head to start approaching that main project again.

Always make sure you're meeting deadlines for whatever your main project is, but never restrict your thoughts to that one thing or give up on what could potentially be an extremely worthwhile side-project. Whatever it is you're working on, just make sure you're having a good time!

[Check out the "This Is Jim" book on Gumroad! Head over to my devlog for a discounted promo code Wink]
ollie_r
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 01:21:08 AM »

You can "marry" the two mindsets if you let go of the notion that "starting early" means writing code or anything that might interrupt your main project too much.

I have a journal only for game ideas (that I usually keep in the restroom ie. the think tank). When I get an idea, I start doodling and designing in that book. When my current main project is done, I can flip through that and pick a new main project and a lot of the initial designing and some rough concept art has already been done.

That way you can play with and visualise a lot of game ideas and abandon ones that don't seem fun or have core design flaws before investing any coding time into them.

In the back of the journal I also keep lists like theme ideas that I liked from Ludum Dare Theme Slaughters or general concepts for mechanics, enemies, worlds, etc. that I don't know what to do with yet.
GaiaX2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 10:35:23 PM »

Nah, that's just frankencoding, using what works from your side project! Usually when the main project gets exhausting to work on, I decide to put it on hold temporarily and concetrate on another one for the time being, with periodic breaks here-and-there. It's all how you approach it, really.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic