Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 10:15:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlat Heroes
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Flat Heroes  (Read 2547 times)
inspectorRoar
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2016, 04:33:38 AM »

Hi everyone!

I'm InspectorRoar, and together with SuperLemonBits we are developing Flat Heroes!

Flat Heroes is a fast-paced, challenging, local multiplayer game for up to 4 players and the idea is to create a game where the most important parts are the controls and the game feel, focusing all the design on these two aspects. It features a minimal graphic design style that helps us transmit these concepts in the clearer possible way (and we love it :3).

Here's our first teaser trailer:

As mentioned, we are really focusing on having tight and intuitive controls that respond as good as we can to the player input. This results in much freedom for the player to move around and face different scenarios. Which is great for us, because it allows us to create multiple completely different and challenging game modes and situations.

The game is going to have a few competitive modes with different objectives and dynamics as well as a coop mode that will have the option to be played solo as well. So everyone can enjoy the game Smiley. Another good reason to create the coop mode is to allow players with totally different levels of experience play together Smiley

I'll keep updating this post with more info, but if anybody wants real-time updates feel free to keep an eye on our twitters (@InspectorRoar and @SuperLemonBits)

We're developing the game in Unity and all the art is code-driven, comments/suggestions/questions/randomness are welcome! n_n

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 04:38:44 AM by inspectorRoar » Logged

OneCoin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 05:27:06 AM »

Ah. I saw your trailer for this on twitter this morning. Very clean animation, beautiful work.

Poya
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 06:54:23 AM »

Wow the animations look great (the bursts of acceleration). There is definitely something about using sophisticated animation with a simplistic graphics style. One Finger Death Punch comes to mind  Smiley

inspectorRoar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 05:44:17 AM »

Thanks!

Today I want to introduce some enemies of the game to see what you guys think!

This is for the co-op mode, that can be played solo or in multiplayer, for up to 4 players at the same time.

First there are the Parallels (WIP name), they are the most basic enemy of the game and they just go straight until they find a wall:

Second there are the Missiles, these enemies chase the players while trying to avoid walls and platforms:

We wanted to have them quite early in the game but test sessions have shown that Missiles are way too hard! So they will probably need to be more at the end >___<

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 08:48:06 AM »

Looks very clean and smooth. I really like what you have done so far.

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
inspectorRoar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 11:44:30 AM »

Ah. I saw your trailer for this on twitter this morning. Very clean animation, beautiful work.

Wow the animations look great (the bursts of acceleration). There is definitely something about using sophisticated animation with a simplistic graphics style. One Finger Death Punch comes to mind  Smiley

Looks very clean and smooth. I really like what you have done so far.

Thanks for the kind words! We are putting a lot of effort to make the animations feel smooth to get the game feel right n_n

Here's another gif running from missiles, I spend too much time just playing with them >__< I should be coding!

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 02:39:17 PM »

I spend too much time just playing with them >__< I should be coding!

I know that feeling too well... on the other hand, someone has to test it too. Only while playing will you find well hidden bugs and get the balance right.

really simple but great visuals!

Michael Klier
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 11:36:40 PM »

As others haves said already this looks pretty amazing and the player movement looks pretty smooth. Is the movement physics based or did you implement it without using physics?

Sound Design, Audio Implementation, Music
Reel Twitter
Working on

inspectorRoar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 11:45:54 AM »

I know that feeling too well... on the other hand, someone has to test it too. Only while playing will you find well hidden bugs and get the balance right.

really simple but great visuals!

Thanks Smiley

As others haves said already this looks pretty amazing and the player movement looks pretty smooth. Is the movement physics based or did you implement it without using physics?

Thank you! The player movement is entirely based on physics yep, and all the movements are achieved by adding speeds and forces Smiley

On a different (but similar) note, we added a "levitation" movement! In the game you can dash to any direction, and if you don't specify any you can stay on the air for a short duration

Michael Klier
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 12:06:17 AM »

Thank you! The player movement is entirely based on physics yep, and all the movements are achieved by adding speeds and forces Smiley

On a different (but similar) note, we added a "levitation" movement! In the game you can dash to any direction, and if you don't specify any you can stay on the air for a short duration

That looks totally cool! I'm always struggling with physics in my own, admittedly noobish, gamedev attempts Smiley, But I also didn't really dig into the whole thing yet. Looking forward to see more of this!

Sound Design, Audio Implementation, Music
Reel Twitter
Working on

inspectorRoar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 07:19:07 AM »

Hi!

we've been working on the results screen after a competitive match!

It currently looks like this:

One of our goals is to polish the game as much as possible, so we are trying to keep the players always on screen and create really smooth transitions, we don't want any snap!

What you see on the right is a general leaderboard, the game will keep a leaderboard of the session so players can keep an eye on the general score.

And here are some more gameplay gifs!
http://imgur.com/gallery/4TrNP
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 07:27:12 AM by inspectorRoar » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic