Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:54:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[DEMO] Paw Paw Paw - 2D Animal Beat 'Em Up
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: [DEMO] Paw Paw Paw - 2D Animal Beat 'Em Up  (Read 17631 times)
Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 03:27:26 PM »

The UI is beautiful! For what it's worth, I don't think the per-player-colour UI is too vivid.

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »

The UI is beautiful! For what it's worth, I don't think the per-player-colour UI is too vivid.

Thanks! although the various color also bring another issue, it's becoming really hard for me to color code some elements of the UI and it ended up really confusing to look at.

A bit of update
I'm currently working on the animation for the archer class (among other things),
It's really hard to came up with a good combo move for the archer. I can smell my brain burning..
This one right here is one of the combo finishing move

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 12:51:15 PM »

UI and menu is something weird for me, it almost feel like it's never done.
Yeah, that's the *other* 90% of game development. Wink

The idea was for each character to has their own UI color, and it carries over on the UI on battle, weapon selection, skill tree, etc. But after looking at this gif, it doesn't feel right. Too inconsistence, too flashy, or something.
I'll probably change it so the color assigned to specific player, like red for player 1, yellow for player 2 and so on.
What do you think?
http://i.imgur.com/bbSUL8b.gif

Based on the gif you posted, I agree that the single color doesn't seem to work.  As a guess, I'd prefer to have something consistent and then variations added to distinguish characters.  Perhaps as simple as having a few diagonal white lines added to UI corners to most of the UI having the same color.  During gameplay it might be better to have more of the different color for easier checking.

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2016, 05:09:20 AM »

A teaser from the first boss, The All Seeing Babygod

it's a standard boss, huge in size, make the camera shake, and things to fall down from the cave ceilings,
and a pink colored puke attack.

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2016, 05:28:49 AM »

UI and menu is something weird for me, it almost feel like it's never done.
Yeah, that's the *other* 90% of game development. Wink

The idea was for each character to has their own UI color, and it carries over on the UI on battle, weapon selection, skill tree, etc. But after looking at this gif, it doesn't feel right. Too inconsistence, too flashy, or something.
I'll probably change it so the color assigned to specific player, like red for player 1, yellow for player 2 and so on.
What do you think?
http://i.imgur.com/bbSUL8b.gif

Based on the gif you posted, I agree that the single color doesn't seem to work.  As a guess, I'd prefer to have something consistent and then variations added to distinguish characters.  Perhaps as simple as having a few diagonal white lines added to UI corners to most of the UI having the same color.  During gameplay it might be better to have more of the different color for easier checking.

I agree with you, we have decided to make the UI color based on the player, so it's now red for player 1, yellow for 2, green for 3, and blue for player 4. another benefit of this is we don't have to think of a new color for a new character that won't clash with other UI elements.

Also I think I finally have a UI/menu style that I'm actually satisfied with!
hopefully this is final and won't change again  Cheesy

So here are the Menu/UI Overhaul!!

Main Menu:

Character Selection:

and armory:

since the armory menu will also show up during gameplay, the background will be the blurred gameplay (I hope my english make sense  Durr...?)

so, what do you guys think? better? worse?

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2016, 06:31:51 AM »

I think it looks great. I like the fonts you are using, and the  blurred background looks really cool.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2016, 09:09:40 AM »

I think it looks great. I like the fonts you are using, and the  blurred background looks really cool.

Thanks Pixel Noise!  Smiley

So, in a world where the animals are sentient, what would the pet be? or what would be the animal in an animal world??
Here's an idea for a hound type of thing, ended up looking a lot more like griffin.

Animating a quadruped turned out to be really challenging, but thanks to the power of Google image search, I'm quite happy with the result   Grin

Ebinkatsu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2016, 10:53:34 AM »

Hi everyone, here's a little preview about skills in Paw Paw Paw.

Fortify

Mighty Stomp
shellbot
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2016, 10:49:24 PM »

Digging the progress shots. Keep it up Beer!
mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2016, 11:25:52 PM »

Digging the progress shots. Keep it up Beer!

Thanks! we'll try to update this thread more frequently  Smiley

In my last post, I thought animating quadruped was nightmare. welp, I completely forgot that I have to do bug like character for enemy.
couldn't really figure out the proper walk cycle, even with reference, hopefully this is somewhat passable and I can get away with. Tongue

a headless glowing enemy for the cave environment.
Sorry for the gif quality Sad the flickering light kinda kill the gif

Also, one of the thing that I have been working on is the map menu mock up
I decided to use straight line for the path instead of curves,
liking how it turns out, it looks like a star constellation of sorts  Grin

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 11:48:13 PM by mochakingup » Logged

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2016, 10:52:45 AM »

In my last post, I thought animating quadruped was nightmare. welp, I completely forgot that I have to do bug like character for enemy.
couldn't really figure out the proper walk cycle, even with reference, hopefully this is somewhat passable and I can get away with. Tongue
Which last post are you referring to and I'm also curious, what reference did you use?

a headless glowing enemy for the cave environment.
Sorry for the gif quality Sad the flickering light kinda kill the gif
I did something very similar in terms of leg movement pattern before.  The only part that seems a bit odd is that it looks like the middle leg is colliding with the front and then with the rear leg.  Shortening the middle leg's stride should work.

Also, one of the thing that I have been working on is the map menu mock up
I decided to use straight line for the path instead of curves,
liking how it turns out, it looks like a star constellation of sorts  Grin

Once you complete the "constellation", you could become that - e.g. "Great Dragon" (or at least get an achievement) Smiley

CrayderStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2016, 06:27:19 AM »

The character designs look nice, it's got a cute bruiser quality to them. I like the menu and UI too, very sleek and clean.

But damn, that all-seeing-baby creeps the heck outta me. I think it's going to be there when I sleep tonight.

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2016, 08:13:44 AM »

Which last post are you referring to and I'm also curious, what reference did you use?

I did something very similar in terms of leg movement pattern before.  The only part that seems a bit odd is that it looks like the middle leg is colliding with the front and then with the rear leg.  Shortening the middle leg's stride should work.
I was refering to this post
So, in a world where the animals are sentient, what would the pet be? or what would be the animal in an animal world??
Here's an idea for a hound type of thing, ended up looking a lot more like griffin.

Animating a quadruped turned out to be really challenging, but thanks to the power of Google image search, I'm quite happy with the result   Grin

and this was the reference that I used for animating the bug

maybe it's not the greatest reference lol
anyway, my initial thought was that the middle legs is a bit longer than the front and the back, thus the collision between legs, apparently I was wrong.
here's the new animation based on your suggestion, I tried to minimize the collision as much as I can. and it does look better, thanks for the feedback! Smiley
(disabled the lighting for gif recording purpose)

and the running one while we're at it  Tongue

Once you complete the "constellation", you could become that - e.g. "Great Dragon" (or at least get an achievement) Smiley

Haha that's a great idea! maybe also unlock a dragonbone weapon set on top of that  Cheesy

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2016, 08:31:42 AM »

The character designs look nice, it's got a cute bruiser quality to them. I like the menu and UI too, very sleek and clean.

But damn, that all-seeing-baby creeps the heck outta me. I think it's going to be there when I sleep tonight.

Thanks! I never intentionally made them to be cute, but I guess they kinda are  Cheesy
That's also the case with the baby, I just knew I wanted to make baby with lot of eyes. A lot of my friends would agree with you. It never occured to me that it'd creep a lot of people out.

igrir
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2016, 08:35:13 AM »

just've started to follow this devlog. The art was awesome! I love how you did the trick with the lighting
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2016, 12:44:44 PM »

and this was the reference that I used for animating the bug

That looks interesting. Smiley In a way, probably for a black and white book, it's fairly good but I would certainly prefer an animated one, with different colors showing what is happening. Wink

I know what you mean by the middle leg sticking out more. If you do top down view or actual 3d models then it might look good.  But the way you used 2d graphics (plus much thicker legs) without any distortion makes them look like that they are colliding.

Thanks! I never intentionally made them to be cute, but I guess they kinda are  Cheesy
A similar topic came up in the Wobbledogs devlog.  Babies (human and animals) tend to have different body proportions e.g. larger head much like your characters.  That's why your characters seem cute. Smiley

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2016, 02:00:11 AM »

just've started to follow this devlog. The art was awesome! I love how you did the trick with the lighting

Hi, thanks for stopping by! Glad that you're liking our progress so far Smiley

A similar topic came up in the Wobbledogs devlog.  Babies (human and animals) tend to have different body proportions e.g. larger head much like your characters.  That's why your characters seem cute. Smiley

Now that you mention it, it does make sense Cheesy

Aaand, environmental gif dump to end the week

it took me a while to figure out how to make this river, ended up using bunch of different particles to fake the effect.

testing some swaying grass. And butchered up the performance in the process  Cheesy. Still need to tweak the bushes.

Up in the mountain, ancient ruins, with some basic snow particles

obligatory cave level. This is where you'll encounter the glowing bugs from my earlier posts

too much gradient for the gif, I guess.
I swear one of these days I will make a proper video capture lol

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 02:10:43 AM by mochakingup » Logged

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2016, 11:49:29 AM »

A similar topic came up in the Wobbledogs devlog.  Babies (human and animals) tend to have different body proportions e.g. larger head much like your characters.  That's why your characters seem cute. Smiley

Now that you mention it, it does make sense Cheesy
Come to think of it, I could've shown the Adorable Circle Of Life
e.g.

The environmental gifs are looking good! Smiley

Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2016, 01:41:22 PM »

First let me say, this game looks amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on this and it's definitely I see myself playing with the girlfriend. Keep up the great work.

As someone who is looking to do a similar style of 2.5D movement, I have a question. I seen your post about the way you set up the camera. It seems you set the sprites up as if it was a 2D scene then rotate the camera to a 45 degree to give it that 3D feel. Would you say that's about correct or am I missing something?

I've been messing around in Unity but can't quite get the feel right the same way you've managed to get it with yours. I tried Ortho perspective but it doesn't feel right to me so I stick with perspective. Any thoughts/advice?

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2016, 10:19:36 PM »

First let me say, this game looks amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on this and it's definitely I see myself playing with the girlfriend. Keep up the great work.

Thanks, Keith! Smiley

As someone who is looking to do a similar style of 2.5D movement, I have a question. I seen your post about the way you set up the camera. It seems you set the sprites up as if it was a 2D scene then rotate the camera to a 45 degree to give it that 3D feel. Would you say that's about correct or am I missing something?

yeah that's about it,
we rotate the camera and also all the sprites in the scene so they face the camera.
although the only reason we rotate the camera 45 degree is so that we can utilize all three axes (x,y,z) instead of just x and y in 2D mode. I don't think it gave us 3D feel at all, since we're using ortographic projection.

I've been messing around in Unity but can't quite get the feel right the same way you've managed to get it with yours. I tried Ortho perspective but it doesn't feel right to me so I stick with perspective. Any thoughts/advice?

I think this technique is better suited for 2D sprites, If you're already using 3D model I'd suggest that you stick with perspective camera projection, and maybe play around with the FOV to reduce the skewness (I don't know the right term for it, is that even a word? Cheesy).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic