Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:00:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[DEMO] Paw Paw Paw - 2D Animal Beat 'Em Up
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: [DEMO] Paw Paw Paw - 2D Animal Beat 'Em Up  (Read 17736 times)
Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2016, 07:50:31 AM »

The prototype I'm working on is 2D so this information is useful. Are both your sprites and camera angled at 45 or are the sprites angled differently? I'll keep messing around with it to try to get the feeling right, I may have to hit you up in the future to try to get a sample scene off you. Haha.

As for your game, once they beat all the bosses and levels, what will be left to do?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:54:34 PM by Keith » Logged

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2016, 07:45:46 AM »

The prototype I'm working on is 2D so this information is useful. Are both your sprites and camera angled at 45 or are the sprites angled differently? I'll keep messing around with it to try to get the feeling right, I may have to hit you up in the future to try to get a sample scene off you. Haha.

yeah, they all angled at 45, so it's pretty much the same look as in 2D mode
this is how they set up at the moment

could it be, by any chance that what you meant by 3D feel is the parallaxed background and foreground?

As for your game, once they beat all the bosses and levels, what will be left to do?

That's a good question! for now there's not much to do, the game is pretty linear
but I guess people can max their characters' level, unlock weapons and new playable characters, if they want to
we have plan for hidden bosses that trigger at some specific action and such, but it's not in the work yet

any suggestion would be welcome, of course Smiley

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2016, 08:05:42 AM »

A little update on our progress,

Ebin is working on the menu right now,
while I've been doing some trivial stuff, like making this food drop items

getting a bit carried away, I think I made more than what we actually need in the game  Cheesy
the food drop is actually money, the currency in our game is food
while you can only heal using potion items

another thing, I have started to make some icons for skill,

taking a lot of inspiration from whole lot of other games out there, since logo and icon is not really my forte
It took me more time than what I'd like to admit on these icons, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2016, 10:42:04 AM »

yeah, they all angled at 45, so it's pretty much the same look as in 2D mode
this is how they set up at the moment

That's a great visual to describe what you mean! Smiley

@Keith Yeah, it's not really possible to achieve the same view if you use a 3d scene without some "tricks".  Based on mochakingup's approach, if you also rotate your models, background and other environmental objects by 45 degrees and then use orthographic projection then you should be able to have the same type of view with 3d models.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2016, 10:43:05 AM »

another thing, I have started to make some icons for skill,

I really like the the first four but the last two feels off.  My first guess would be that the colors contrast well for the first four but the light blue and white colors are too close.

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2017, 11:26:37 PM »

Oof, it's been a while (a while is an understatement)
We've been attending some local events, showing off the combat demo, some bugs here and there, but the overall responses is pretty great.

But what took most of our time in this past couple of months is some reworking/refactoring on some parts of the project, from players' perspective it might not look like much progress were made, but it needs to be done. We've changed how the combos are handled and how the enemy behavior/state operated behind the scene, hopefully this will result in less random bug.
The other is we've made our own input system previously, but the further we get into the project, it became increasingly clear that our input system isn't gonna cut it. So we've decided to switch to 'Rewired' from the unity asset store.

Now to the more visible progress that we can show here.

Dialog editor

We've made a simple dialog editor so it's much easier to write dialog and assign names and portraits directly in Unity. The dialog is saved as text asset that can be triggered in game.

And here's how the dialog look in game:

Weapon Calculator

I've touched a bit about weapon in early post, but not all. To recap there are 5 type of weapons in paw paw paw: one handed/regular, two handed/heavy, small/light, bow, and shield. to expand on that, there are 4 tiers of weapons and 4 rarity level: common, rare, epic, and legendary.

Now here's the problem, how do I classify the rarity and tier? So I've decided to make a simple weapon calculator. The weapon tier is determined by the average damage and the rarity is based on the bonus stat the weapon has.

There are two usage cases for this.

First case is when I know exactly what the weapon bonuses will be, ex: An ice sword should have freeze chance, but I have no clue what should the rarity be. So I can set the desired bonus and calculate the rarity based on the bonus and damage.

Second use case is when I know that a weapon should be legendary or epic, but I don't have any specific bonuses in mind for this weapon. In this case I can simply randomize the bonus depending on the rarity that I wanted.

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2017, 01:06:01 AM »

Tiny update. Today on thing that isn't supposed to happen:

I was making this new animal, a miniphant. and started animating, but then I put the wrong walking animation file (it was the animation for the hound several post back) and it ended up looking like a frog of somekind  Cheesy

On another note, I've decided to have a little fun and challenge myself on the weapons. I'm gonna make an epic/legendary weapon set based on astrology/zodiac sign. starting with Aries:

Aries symbol is ram, which based on the argonauts myth. It's pretty straightforward, I know it's not the most creative interpretation, but I'm quite happy with the results  Grin Most of these weapons will have bonus stats on Strength and Defese.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:01:52 AM by mochakingup » Logged

Ebinkatsu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2017, 10:06:50 PM »

Bow String

I know it's kinda late to post this. We’re using Line Renderer (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-LineRenderer.html) to create a visualization of a string attached to a character's bow. Line Renderer takes an array of two or more points to draw line between them. We can add points and adjust the position to our needs.

Here’s a preview of Line Renderer attached to a bow. _line (Line Renderer) adjusts its second Positions’ value according to _pivot’s position.

And here’s a complete preview of character holding a bow. I’ve created a script attached to character’s right hand (the one that holding a bow) so the bow string will be stretched to follow the other hand as long as certain property is being toggled.
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2017, 01:01:13 PM »

Looking good!

The LineRenderer looks like a nice tool.  Thanks for mentioning it. I'm sure I'll be able to use it. Smiley

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2017, 04:06:46 AM »

Looking good!

The LineRenderer looks like a nice tool.  Thanks for mentioning it. I'm sure I'll be able to use it. Smiley
Thanks io3!  Smiley

Since we're talking about bow, I made a short video highlighting some of the archer's moveset. I thought I'd share it here as well.

was trying out video recording and figuring out what format works best.

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2017, 11:46:09 AM »

NPC

Hi again, everyone!
I've been working on creating the first NPCs.
These guys will be stationed at camp and outposts, to help you on your journey.

The first is the potion master, he will open up a shop interface and sell you some potion. And right next to him is the trainer, you'll need to interact with him to level up your character and upgrade your skills.

Another Weapon Set

this is a continuation from my previous post about zodiac weapon set. here are some preview of the set

Aquarius set. will mostly have freeze chance bonus

Taurus set. it'll probably have strength buff, haven't decided on all the bonuses yet.

On top of that, we've also started working on the intro/prologue.
That's all for now, as always cnc are welcome! Smiley

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2017, 11:57:20 AM »

Nice work! The bear creatures remind me of those cute fluffy ones from Star Wars :D

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2017, 08:50:22 PM »

Nice work! The bear creatures remind me of those cute fluffy ones from Star Wars :D

thanks! it does look like an ewok, hahaha :D

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2017, 09:05:38 PM »

Intro

Hi everyone,
So I've been working for a week just for 2.5 minutes worth of animation for the backstory intro.
and this is just a temporary/placeholder until we got the actual art done and I'll have to do it all again. Tears of Joy

was going for pop-up book feels for this placeholder intro, and here are some behind the scenes capture:

Crater

aand moving on to less important stuff, been polishing some of the battle effects here and there.
One of them being the crater that you left on the ground for some specific skills.

here is the original crater:

it doesn't really fit the style of the environment since the environment all are painted, while the crater still following the character style. So here's the new one:

overall I think it blends better with the environment style.
And also made the larger version to be used for more powerful skills, or something

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »

The intro's pop-up book style is looking good!

One note about the craters: In the third crater picture it looks as if the character still walking as if the crater and surrounding blocks wheren't there. By that I mean, the character should be lower in the hole and higher when walking on the surrounding blocks.  To me, that kind of thing is quite illusion breaking.  If you don't want to change the terrain height then it might be better to go with one of the other crater types.  But that's just my opinion. Wink

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2017, 07:12:23 AM »

The intro's pop-up book style is looking good!

One note about the craters: In the third crater picture it looks as if the character still walking as if the crater and surrounding blocks wheren't there. By that I mean, the character should be lower in the hole and higher when walking on the surrounding blocks.  To me, that kind of thing is quite illusion breaking.  If you don't want to change the terrain height then it might be better to go with one of the other crater types.  But that's just my opinion. Wink

yeah, I hear you. unfortunately, with our current setup I can't drill a hole in the ground  Cheesy
it got me thinking though, maybe instead of making a hole I could add colliders on the sides.

it kinda works, but after further testing, it bounds to cause more problems. The crater completely broke on uneven/elevated ground causing invisible walls and characters to stuck. Another issue is I can't make the collider fade out as the sprite does.

so I'll probably keep it as it is for now, but thanks for the feedback, we really appreciate it! Smiley

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2017, 11:46:06 AM »

and this is just a temporary/placeholder until we got the actual art done and I'll have to do it all again. Tears of Joy
But, but ... why?  Screamy

Couldn't you have set up the animation in a way to allow "simple" swap of the images?  That's what I would've done! Grin

Oh, how did you create the animation?  With an asset or custom script?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 09:48:57 AM by io3 creations » Logged

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2017, 01:42:03 AM »

But, but ... why?  Screamy

This is mostly caused by my own fault and stupidity, hahaha

Couldn't you have set up the animation in a way to allow "simple" swap of the images?  That's what I would've done! Grin

that's what I did at first, the original intro doesn't really have much animation, mostly just panning the camera around, zoom in zoom out that kinda things. but with the placeholder arts, it looks like crap, and I kinda need it to look somewhat passable for demo purpose. So I thought 'hey, you know what looks good with this placeholder arts? popup book animation!'.
So basically this is a poor decision making on my part.  Cheesy

Oh, how did you create the animation?  With an asset or custom script?

For this particular animation, we don't use custom asset or script. They're all actually just sprite that I rotate and scale around in 3D space, animated using the native animation system in Unity.

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2017, 12:11:16 AM »

Our first trailer is finally here, I'm really excited!  Grin

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2017, 05:21:22 AM »

Loving the trailer! The game's environments are awesome  Kiss

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic