Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 02:33:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[DEMO] Paw Paw Paw - 2D Animal Beat 'Em Up
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: [DEMO] Paw Paw Paw - 2D Animal Beat 'Em Up  (Read 17526 times)
mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2017, 01:45:18 PM »

Looking good! Smiley

When I first glimpsed at the words "train level", I thought you were referring to a train-ing level. Cheesy

Oh, if you're going to have an obligatory train level, then you must have an obligatory elevator level as well. Grin

Sometimes it's enough to have background images that can be looped (i.e. large-sized tiles).   
Other times it's better to have separate images that can be placed randomly (e.g. hills, mountains).  Some of those can be combined to create a mountain range, etc.   The second approach can avoid the issue of repetition that comes from using tile images.

Thanks! we do have plan for an elevator-like level. not really elevator though, just work in a similar way. Cheesy

Yeah, I get what you're saying, right now we're using the first approach, looping the same images over and over. We wanted to do some landmark/random object passing from time to time, so the second approach might be better suited for that.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2017, 02:09:06 PM »

Thanks! we do have plan for an elevator-like level. not really elevator though, just work in a similar way. Cheesy
I wonder what it could be. Smiley

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2017, 06:01:31 PM »

been working on new weapons and enemies, here are two of the new enemies, the postmen!

and here is a gif of them whooping my butt

Meanwhile, Ebin is dealing with multiplayer stuff, and Cla is working on more environment pieces!

I didn't get much else done, I was participating in Ludum Dare last weekend, it was a lot of fun! anyone else participated? Grin

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2018, 12:10:05 AM »

Hi everyone!
it's been a while.  Smiley

Sorry for the inactivity, we're still working on the game, and there are a lot of things that have changed and added since the last post. We've shown the game to local events and friends. We've got a lot of great feedbacks, added new contents and features, fixed some annoying bugs, and encountered some problems along the way.

But first I'll post a newer trailer. it's actually quite old, but apparently, I never post it here. It's a bit better than the previous one, I think.

Cut Content

After much consideration, unfortunately, we had to cut some planned levels. The original plan when we first started was to create 46 levels. Around March this year, we decided to cut it down to 37. And on August we cut it further down to 29. It means we have to alter the story a bit to accommodate for the changes. It's unfortunate, but it had to be done.

Here's a look on our current world map. All zoomed out. The box in the lower left is the actual size of the screen view.

Maybe we'll add the cut content as updates. We'll see Smiley

Starting Characters' Class

Originally we have 4 playable characters at the start, each with different classes:
- Warrior (One-handed & Shield)
- Guardian (One-handed & Shield)
- Archer (Bow)
- Ranger (Bow)

This is a problem. Because we have 2 weapon types that can't be used at the start (Small & Two-handed). We did have other unlockable characters that utilize these weapon types. So what we've decided to do was to swap the classes of these characters.

So now we have this:
- Warrior (One-handed & Shield)
- Barbarian (Two-handed)
- Botanist (Dual wield small weapons)
- Archer (Bow)

Now you can use all weapon types at the start of the game! yay!  Grin

Botanist

Botanist is more of a support class. Like any other classes, botanist has 1 passive skill and 2 active skills. The passive skill is called 'Satchel'. It adds another 5 slots to your inventory, allowing you to carry more items.

The first active skill is called 'Aroma Therapy'. It will heal you and surrounding allies for a small percentage that can be upgraded later.

The other skill is called 'Tangled'. You'll throw three deadly plants that will trap any enemies who step on them. Allowing for crowd control. Further upgrade of the skill will also inflict poison on the trapped enemies.

Barbarian

Barbarian focuses on dealing massive damage, but slow af. But it mitigated with their passive skill 'Windup', which will speed you up as long as you keep doing uninterrupted combos.

The first active skill is called 'Heavy Throw' where you throw your weapon forward in a straight line.

And the second active skill is 'Hook Slam'. Where you drag your enemies with your weapon, throw them in the air, and then smash them down.

We still have a lot of things to share, but I think this post is long enough, so I'll post more about them later. Smiley

Oh, we are also planning to do a public demo soon, and I'm currently working on a new trailer to accompany that. The obvious place to put it on is probably on itch.io. Any other place that is recommended for a public demo?

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2018, 05:13:10 AM »

Nice to see this again! Yeah for public demo, definitely itch.io...that's probably it, really.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2018, 01:26:26 AM »

Nice to see this again! Yeah for public demo, definitely itch.io...that's probably it, really.

Thanks! Yeah, was wondering if there are any other places on top of that.

Weapon Loots

One of possible way to acquire new weapons is via loots.
Enemies have a small chance of dropping loots when they died.

all loots that you've collected will be shown at the end of the level (either you win or lose).

weapons that you already have will automatically be sold for a small amount of foods.

Edit: accidentally hit save instead of preview Tongue

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2018, 09:30:25 PM »

Bomb

Bombs are implemented! yay!

There are currently four bombs in the game:
- Standard explosive bomb
- Poisonous mushroom bomb
- Shrapnel bomb (inflict bleeding)
- Stun bomb

Mounting

Mounting is also in!

mounting is actually an item in the form of an egg. animal/beast will have a small chance to drop an egg, or you can buy them in the shop. using the egg will instantly spawn the mount.
While mounting, you cannot use any item or skills.

Here are some of the items' icon

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2018, 03:33:02 AM »

stupid bug, turning every character into juggernauts.  Cheesy

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2018, 08:30:05 PM »

While our programmers continue to implement some features for the public demo, I've started working on a new trailer to announce said demo.
I was feeling a little bit experimental, tried Krita for frame by frame animation.

Here's one of the resulting scene, cooking a landfish on a fire camp:

Also, need to tweak the website soon.

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2018, 05:32:15 AM »

another short sequence for the new trailer

still squashing a lot of bugs, hopefully we can publish the public demo soon  Smiley

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2018, 10:59:47 PM »

Public Demo

Hi everyone, we've just released a public demo for Paw Paw Paw
and we also made a new trailer for that.

Play the demo on simpleton.itch.io/pawpawpaw

let us know what you think! Smiley

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2018, 08:04:27 AM »

Made some new enemies, and possible mount. Mama rat hound and its ratling (is that a word?). AKA lazy recolored and rescaled enemies Tongue

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2018, 08:13:41 PM »

I've been implementing new traps into the level design. Because you can't have dungeon without a rotating saw blade.
aaand here's a gif of me, trying to sort out my life:

Devilkay
Level 2

Hi! First game-dev experience!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2018, 01:51:20 AM »

flat design and animations are totally perfect O_O
mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2018, 11:21:21 PM »

flat design and animations are totally perfect O_O

Thanks! You can get away with a lot of things when animating flat colored character.  Smiley

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2018, 06:02:36 AM »

Messing around and testing the rig on a new boss, making sure everything is alright.

when you heard that one banger song Tongue

Then went ahead and actually trying to animate the character, animating chains/ropes are harrrrddd... why do I make a character with chains...  Crazy

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2018, 03:19:01 AM »

taking a little break from animating, here's another trap:

You gotta stand your ground, unless there's a pressure plate, of course.

this prolly gonna be our last post of the year.
Have a great one, everyone!  Smiley

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2019, 05:32:47 AM »

first of all happy new year, everyone! hope everyone is doing great!

I've been doing the layout for the levels, AKA drag n dropping sprites til it looks somewhat decent  Tongue

this is the city level, level 26 of 29. Man, it feels so close and yet so far. still have to make the rest of the enemies, lol.

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2019, 07:49:06 PM »

After bouncing around to other parts of the project, I've finally finished all the animation needed for this boi.
He's gonna be the boss for the dungeon level

here are some of the attack animations

and here is a test animation of the character turning

mochakingup
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2019, 11:09:17 PM »

rando gif: painting the snow red!

oh and also, flame thrower

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to: