Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:59:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTemple of Rust ==! Free on Steam !== - [Hack 'n Sling]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Temple of Rust ==! Free on Steam !== - [Hack 'n Sling]  (Read 3402 times)
c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2016, 07:19:29 AM »

Description:
Temple of Rust offers procedural generated top-down arena action in a post-trash setting.
Features:
  • High quality sub-pixel art at 60 frames per second with attention to details
  • Procedural generated levels and content
  • Tight and responsive controls - always stay in direct control of the action
Personal:
Hi! My name is James. Since 2012 I am working hard to gain traction as indie developer. ENYO Arcade is my personal STEAM debut game and with this game I will do my best to deliver another solid game.

THIS GAME IS STILL IN DEVELOPMENT! FINAL CONTENT MAY DIFFER!

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 04:36:56 AM by c023-DeV » Logged

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 07:41:09 AM »

Devlog #1:

What I have done so far:
In November'15 I started experimenting with a few ideas and built a few prototypes.

First I set up the basic free top-down movement and tried lots of different approaches to the level generation.
I've finally settled for mixing different techniques depending on the situation. So far I have a drunken walk, BSP and a prefab based algorithm.

Then I started rendering some actors in 3d again.

I've also experimented with different resolutions and also an ISO perspective.

Next thing was combat, I've payed some special attention to visual player feedback.
I've also built a sweet lighting framework to add to the mood.

Then I revisited the level generation and data structures to optimize the level loading to a point where it hardly can be noticed.

Currently I'm preparing for first public contacts, so: Hello! Nice to meet you!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:13:03 AM by c023-DeV » Logged

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 03:36:29 PM »

Currently have a lot to do on the business side of things but here's a little update on the Greenlight stats:

VOTES
Total Votes   946   
'Yes' Votes   418 (44% of total)   
'No' Votes   485 (51% of total)   
'Ask Me Later' Votes (?)   43 (5% of total)

so 42% on the way to the top 100

To me personally these stats are way better than with ENYO Arcade, however it still isn't enough to get a smooth ride through Greenlight.

Any tips on getting folks into Greenlight to vote are welcome. From my experience all external (non steam traffic) is extremely hard to convert into votes. And I won't be doing any givaways since imo that devalues the game.

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 12:03:13 AM »

Yes, agreed with doing giveaways. It cheapens things.

I do disagree when you say that all external non-steam traffic is hard to convert into votes, in my experience an article on PCGamer or a popular reddit post will send you a few thousand yes votes. Those are the valuable ones, and ought to be part of any Greenlight marketing campaign.

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 12:18:30 AM »

nice to see you have started a new project! looks like we are working on something similar for the time being (top down carnage)
it would be nice to have a larger screenshot, it's hard to make out on those tiny images. has enyo been doing good enough to support this next endeavor?

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 05:46:58 AM »

Haha, I like how the features are:
"Heavy focus on 'game-feel'"
"Tight and responsive controls"
"Attention to details"

These should be mandatory things.

But more importantly, what is "game-feel"? What is this thing you are heavily focusing on? Everyone that makes a game should focus on "game-feel". Isn't that the game?
It's just funny to me, because just recently I've been discussing with a friend about "game-feel" and his weird stance on it. (just having a stance on the game feel is funny)

Art style is pretty nice, especially because of the way its done.
But to comment on the gameplay, that gif, it basically looks like Nuclear Throne, but with one gun and one enemy. That to me so far is very unimpressive. Of course I know this is a devblog and it's in early development, but I'd like to see something different and exciting, just because I'm fed up with all the clones (and I'm not saying that your game is one). Yet you've already put the game on greenlight, yet that's all the game has, movement, enemy or two, and shooting. Sadly nowadays that's enough to get to greenlight, without even saying what the future features are.
So yeah, looking forward to some more gameplay footage and features. Smiley
c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 03:04:19 PM »

Yes, agreed with doing giveaways. It cheapens things.

I do disagree when you say that all external non-steam traffic is hard to convert into votes, in my experience an article on PCGamer or a popular reddit post will send you a few thousand yes votes. Those are the valuable ones, and ought to be part of any Greenlight marketing campaign.

Reddit only gives me bad karma =( ... I don't have the time to try and appeal to the community demands there. (No self-advertising) ... But yeah I've seen it help others. Maybe I'm just too full of my self sometimes.

nice to see you have started a new project! looks like we are working on something similar for the time being (top down carnage)
it would be nice to have a larger screenshot, it's hard to make out on those tiny images. has enyo been doing good enough to support this next endeavor?
CARNAGE! YEAH! ... The feedback on ENYO is great, but in terms of financial backup it's not worth mentioning. I'm still on life support and busking to get by. It ain't easy an I'm constantly in between court and justification for my 'rebellious' stance.

Haha, I like how the features are:
"Heavy focus on 'game-feel'"
"Tight and responsive controls"
"Attention to details"

These should be mandatory things.

But more importantly, what is "game-feel"? What is this thing you are heavily focusing on? Everyone that makes a game should focus on "game-feel". Isn't that the game?
It's just funny to me, because just recently I've been discussing with a friend about "game-feel" and his weird stance on it. (just having a stance on the game feel is funny)

Art style is pretty nice, especially because of the way its done.
But to comment on the gameplay, that gif, it basically looks like Nuclear Throne, but with one gun and one enemy. That to me so far is very unimpressive. Of course I know this is a devblog and it's in early development, but I'd like to see something different and exciting, just because I'm fed up with all the clones (and I'm not saying that your game is one). Yet you've already put the game on greenlight, yet that's all the game has, movement, enemy or two, and shooting. Sadly nowadays that's enough to get to greenlight, without even saying what the future features are.
So yeah, looking forward to some more gameplay footage and features. Smiley

I agree, they 'should' be mandatory, but they aren't. And since I've still not locked all the other features in place I prefer sticking to what I have so far. 'Game Feel' to me, has a lot to do with player feedback and tight interaction. Being able to communicate impact for instance. Also small things like timing of attacks and so forth. Along with great audio and tight controls there are a lot of things that make a game 'feel right'. For short: yes, what I'm saying there is: 'I want to make this game cool/awesome/great/yeah!!! Wink

There are currently 4 enemy types in the game and they all have a unique set of AI features. It's not that obvious atm but I do pay a lot of attention to making every enemy type unique and not just giving them a different visual aspect. And there are currently 2 Attacks (1 melee and 1 ranged) and 2 'skills' (1 passive and 1 for the blur/jump/teleport/sprint). These 4 abilities are what I want to focus on. I'm taking some inspiration from my work on Sacred2 as well as from Diablo2/3 and mixing it with easy action (SmashTV) and I won't ignore elements that modern games like Nuclear Throne or Binding of Isaak do well.

About going to Greenlight early: I'd love to utilize Early Access (despite it's reputation) because I had a good experience in doing so with my first solo game ENYO Arcade. Aside from that: 'There is a man with a gun over there... telling me, I got to beware...' - usual social pressure, I need to know if it's even worth pursuing silly little games in exchange for food and shelter =) ... and the quota is good right now, but just not quite enough to make it through greenlight smoothly. (Without using my jedi-force)

That is why I could use a little help from my friends! Or at least some friends to start with - because all my real life friends just can't connect to video games beyond CoD/Battlefield somehow. (Sad but true)

Batowski
Level 0

Milan Batowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 10:21:52 PM »

I really like the low-res art in this, it has a nice feel to it and manages to remain readable so far. I like art that leaves a lot to the imagination. Maybe the ogre character is a bit too render-like for my taste tho...

However, I have to agree with the concerns raised above, namely the feature list being a bit vague, and maybe going to Greenlight a bit too soon. Probably if you'd waited a couple months and went there with a more appealing feature list and a bit more variety, the votes would be better.

I would concentrate on coming up with new key features and mechanics for the game and trying to somehow differentiate it from the rest of the action rogue-light genre. Just look at the feature list for Nuclear Throne for example:
http://www.vlambeer.com/press/sheet.php?p=Nuclear_Throne

They never mention things like nice game feel or tight controls, they mention facts. I know it's hard to come up with facts for the game so early in development, but that's how it is. You should have an imaginary feature-list in your head when you begin development and communicate that. Then your art and gameplay should speak on its own about game feel and attention to detail.

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 07:37:12 AM »

@Batowski I agree and I will be replacing the features with 'real' features asap.

Currently I'm stuck in real life struggle. I've got an appointment in Munich court on Wednesday to speak up for an unconditional basic 'income' (I'd rather call it backup). I've been fighting for this since 2012 and been through a lot of hard times, discrimination, heartaches and pain since then.

I hope to be back on track and able to develop this game in a more relaxed state of mind after that. So wish me luck!

Batowski
Level 0

Milan Batowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 02:39:39 PM »

Oh, I do wish you luck and I sympathise with you. Being indie is also a way of life for us and we sacrifice and risk a lot by doing it. Kids, mortgage, no paying job and the pressure coming from the family make you doubt yourself every day. But if you don't try it at all then you run the risk of becoming a very disillusioned and regretful old man... Smiley

Anyway, I get nice nods about your game from left and right of me, so I think you have the basics right. Get back to it as soon as you can. Hand Thumbs Up Right

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 01:33:16 PM »

Well, I 'won' a 'fight' but the battle will go on. They took back the sanction because of formalities but the pressure will rise.

Not sure what I'll be doing now...  Tired pretty tired of all this crap inherent in the system.

I don't feel confident enough for crowdfunding or generating hype right now. The past years wore me down. I'm getting flooded with government threats that try to force me to accept my efforts as a 'childish-hobby' and get a 'real-job'. However I'd rather quit my flat, sleep in the car, busk for food and continue developing at night. To say it with the words of Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobedience:

"I was not designed to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest."

This may slow things down but at least I know that I've tried.

As always, I'm open to suggestions and support.

Batowski
Level 0

Milan Batowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 05:14:52 PM »

I guess the new age has brought new kinds of lifestyles with it and the system has not adapted yet. If you ever do a writeup of your story, I would be interested to read it. It would be fitting for a Medium article maybe...

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 11:03:04 AM »

Still alive! I had my wisdom teeth extracted (all four at once) that knocked me out for a week and also had to send in my main workhorse notebook for repairs, so things slowed down a bit. But - I've recharged my soul a bit and am back on track!

The game got greenlit shortly after my last post. I guess greenlight as barrier is fading away and becoming more of a prioritizing tool for Valve and for us developers which I find is a good thing. Since some day everybody will be able to publish games via Steam without any barriers I guess Valve are just slowly opening up the platform to test their discovery tools and ways to let quality content shine even if there is a great amount of content.

So in hindsight I thing Valve is doing a pretty good job in taking away the heavy impact by opening up the platform slowly if you know what I mean.

Aside from greenlight I also had to rebuild my website because the Joomla CMS kept getting hacked. I've also started a little article on explaining the process of building a minimalist homepage. I want to post that in the business forum here as soon as I get further down the road.

Back to gamedev:
I've optimized a few things on ENYO Arcade but also had some time to work on this baby.

Mostly I'm still tweaking the procedural side of the game and playing around with level sizes. Also been studying other games in the genre and organizing the code, sketching concepts and planning features.

So I'm looking forward to bringing you some cool news and updates soon!

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 02:02:12 PM »

I'm back again! Been traveling a bit to visit a few developers in Berlin and Copenhagen. More on that soon, since we are trying to make a few short Documentaries on Indie Developers/Independent Lifestyles.

The game has also had a ton of changes. Most of all I've spent quite some time on doubling up the resolution while preserving the same optical style. I hope to prepare some cool images soon!

Just wanted to let you folks know that I'm still alive and causing trouble wherever I can!  Gentleman

c023-DeV
Level 2

DevZoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 04:38:33 AM »

Updated description.

Game is now free on steam.

I will soon pick up development again so feedback is welcome.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic