Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:02:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioDeveloping a general music package for licensing - do you have some advice?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Developing a general music package for licensing - do you have some advice?  (Read 486 times)
skrjablin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2016, 12:27:10 PM »

Hello!

I'm thinking of embarking on a project of developing a package of loopable music pieces that would be maximally usable for as many games as possible. The pieces would have some similarity in orchestration, and use different variations on a dozen or so of themes/motifs distributed over the various tracks, so as to give the suite some sense of unity. Among these perhaps a couple of hundreds of pieces, the game makers could freely choose among the tracks those that would be fitting for their particular game.

I won't give it away for free, but would sell non-exclusive licenses to use it for a small fee.

Now, the question is how to make the music as generally usable as possible. I'm thinking of making a chart where I fill out all spaces in a four- or five-dimensional grid labeled with the values of very general parameters along the axes.

For example, one of the axes of the grid would be Intensity, with values from "calm", "low intensity", "medium intensity" and so on up to "very high intensity".

Another axis could be Mood, or perhaps "Happiness" with values between "sad" ranging to "blissful" or something similar.

Yet another could be Tempo, ranging obviously from "very slow" to "really fast". Although this is partially related to Intensity, but not totally.

So the idea is to produce a piece for every combination of these values. Do you see where I'm going, and has anyone here tried something similar? Any idea for good values for the axes of the grid?

Ckukla
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 02:42:07 PM »

Cool idea creating a grid and working off of it, I'm sure you'll come up with some interesting ideas you wouldn't have otherwise. Not exactly what you asked, but I would recommend reading "The Musician's Guide to Licensing Music" if you haven't already. Doesn't much focus on games but there's a ton of good info in there.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Musicians-Guide-Licensing-Music/dp/0823014878

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic