Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:56:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTraveler
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Traveler  (Read 19135 times)
Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2016, 12:20:26 AM »

Following! What a nice concept. I vote for the completely B/N style too, much more elegant than flasy colors.
As for the spaceship interior, have you ever played Mirrormoon EP? It had a big control panel full of buttons, levers and screens; it was nice to fiddle with them, trying to understand how they influenced your journey.

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2016, 11:39:19 AM »

I'm working on a quest. To help this planet you will need to destroy the birthplace of the monsters which is a boss in a nest, inside the planet. So I'll have my hands full on this for a while.

Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2016, 07:37:25 AM »

Working on a dungeon. That includes programming tilesets and level editor stuff.
I'm having a hard time making the tiles look good.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2016, 07:44:39 AM »

Why didn't I see this before? This is right up my alley.

Tracking furiously. Sheepolution, I know you will deliver.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2016, 02:16:20 PM »

I'm making it so that I can use Tiled for almost everything map-related.
So far I can set a foreground, background and place entities. I can also give the entities properties, so that's neat.

andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2016, 03:41:42 PM »

Looks hella cool. I'd love to explore this world Smiley

Reminds me of a flash game I forget the name of.
aether?

I was getting an Aether vibe as well - not that that's a bad thing.  I think this looks great.  I especially like the black and white style.  Great sprite work btw - simple but with lots of personality.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

lobstersteve
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2016, 04:09:53 AM »

It has dungeons with normal platforming now?
So good  <3
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2016, 07:33:04 AM »

Well this looks very cool so far - to weigh in on the color vs. black and white debate....both? Hahaha - I like the black and white feel, but agree that maybe having some color in the game, even if it's just some atmospheric type stuff around planets, could help the player identify things, areas, etc.

Following Smiley

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2016, 09:25:22 AM »

I tried making the dungeon look like a dug-out hole, but I'm not completely satisfied yet.

Also, a secret path where you can find secret things.

Not sure how to actually make this an interesting dungeon. The idea is that it's a cave dug out by insectmonsters, so it would be weird to have doors and items and stuff.

That said, Zelda does it all the time. So I should just do it as well, right?

Trying to keep logic is one of my weak points.

One suggestion I got was to make tentacleplantdoors, and find other ways to make this kind of stuff work. Definitely gonna do that.

lobstersteve
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2016, 09:56:49 AM »

I don't think that game-logic should be 100 % true to real-world logic. Just scenery + background music & sfx is enough to put players in the right mood. It's still a game and i don't think that players will question that.
Tyrus Peace
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2016, 11:59:43 AM »

"big pile o' rock" cave ins and explodey bomb bugs could spice things up without being "out of place". Explosions to make things interesting. Yep. I'm really breaking the mold with this suggestion.

But yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about being out of place. To some extent random doors and treasure chests being *everywhere* is just a funny trope that most players will smile and/or laugh at.

The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2016, 01:28:39 PM »

Just make one room literally *entirely* composed of treasure chests- with treasure chests inside them- and it will make any other logic irrelevant

Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2016, 04:33:03 AM »

I made a tentacle door that only opens when you give it this ball thingy.

tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2016, 05:07:22 AM »

Dang cool looking.

Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2016, 01:49:50 PM »

I've started working on connected rooms.

I was making this and thinking to myself whether I actually want it like this. It might be cooler to be able to go through the dungeon in one go. But I'm sure there are benefits to doing it this way, and reasons as to why Metroid for example does it like this.

With Tiled I can set the corners of the rooms, and ingame it will split up the map.

TheArtistJiii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2016, 04:07:38 PM »

The dungeons aren't going to have the rotating effect of the world?

"I'm Jiii" -Jiii
Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2016, 11:27:01 PM »

The dungeons aren't going to have the rotating effect of the world?

I've experimented with that with a shader (not sure how else I'd do it), but my shaders skills aren't the best. I'll have another look at it in the future.

Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2016, 04:42:01 AM »

So this is what it would look like

Comparison:

I'm still not sure about it, but I think I'm just going to focus on creating the dungeon first, and after determine what I'll use.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2016, 05:50:07 AM »

I do feel like the scrolling adds some fluidity and continuity (obviously) that helps the action feel more intense. The room-based gif feels a bit more choppy to me, I don't know what you'll go for, but a good compromise might be bigger rooms, if you really want to go for a room-based style.

In other words, I'm not sure what the room-based system adds to the game at the moment?

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2016, 09:27:52 AM »

This was simply doing step B before step A. I might or might not use it eventually. But I should've wait with implementing this. It's not completely in vain though. If I end up not using it I can always use it to cache/restore parts that are outside the camera's view.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic