Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:18:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTraveler
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Traveler  (Read 19121 times)
Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2016, 03:35:54 AM »

Zot has evolved to.. Zotor!

hilake
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2016, 04:30:29 AM »

amazing work. I add it to my hope list. Want hear more about the game.
Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2016, 07:07:54 AM »

Not super happy with this enemy, especially since it took me a while, but I'll leave it for now.

The reason it took me some times is because the enemy, like all future creatures, has to work both in rooms and planets. And that can be quite challenging sometimes.

lobstersteve
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2016, 07:17:48 AM »

I'll just stop by to compliment on the awesome looking rain Smiley
I'm sure you'll come up with a comprehensible and fun AI for both planets and dungeons after playing around with some iterations. What exactly don't you like about it?
stryfe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2016, 11:04:34 AM »

Loved the concept and minimalistic art. Following here!
I personally prefer the modularity of the Metroid-like transitions, but that's really a personal preference. Maybe it won't add as much for the action.  Shrug

Just wanted to compliment the project, really nice! Coffee

D0NM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2016, 09:50:35 AM »

Wizard
ah!!! I love the idea with the corners on the tile map.
The overall design is pretty nice.

Speaking on RPGmakers, Don Miguel himself is here.

Check out the Zabuyaki blog to know everything about our upcoming beat 'em up: https://twitter.com/zabuyaki
Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2016, 07:56:07 AM »

It's been a while. I made progress but not so much that was visible.

First I tried making slopes. Sadly, I have no idea how I'm going to make them. I tried a few things but then I bumped into a new problem. So I just set it aside for now, but it's very frustrating and discouraging when you can't manage to make a certain feature. Especially a common one like slopes. I might have to change how I handle collision.

Talking about collision checking, I actually did do changes on that. It was to allow multiple hitboxes. So again, invisible progress.

Next I tried to expand the dungeon. I was very hesitant to add anything, because I'm not sure about a lot of things yet. How health works, how respawning works, gun upgrades, items. I'm afraid that only in the future I might change how this works and have to redo whole dungeons. At the same time, I'm afraid to make these choices already, because I'm not sure what will work best. I just need to push myself to just make some of these choices already, and I'll be alright. If you recognize this problem and got advice I'd love to hear it.

And now for the actual progress:

Codimal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2016, 11:32:52 AM »

Hey man, I just found you on r/gamedev's Screenshot Saturday thread and your gif really took my attention. Your game looks really interesting. Also I love LOVE Tongue

Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2016, 06:34:56 AM »

So now that you've acquired a Punu arm you can dig into the planet. How neat! Now I need to make some sort of inventory so that you can select the item. I also need to think about how I'm gonna set the controls.

Currently I have jumping on Z, shooting on X and rolling on C.

I might put Item on C and have rolling be something equipable.
Another option is to simply use A or S.

lobstersteve
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2016, 08:09:54 AM »

I don't know if you know that, but having controls with "z" and "c" is really bad for people with a german (and a lot of other languages) keyboard layout, because the letters are so far apart. Google german keyboard layouts if you want to see what i mean..
So i'm all for controls with WASD Smiley
Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2016, 10:10:27 PM »

I haven't checked here for a while and your progress looks really good. How does the digging work? can you only dig one hole down, or will you be able to dig up the whole planet?

eh
Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2016, 01:19:21 PM »

It's been a while since I posted progress. This is because of various reasons. Busy with other things in my life, and having a gamedev-writers block, I've made barely any progress in the last month. But I'm back with new stuff.

The two biggest being plants you can climb on and one-way door.
I also improved the visual of a successful hit by making the creatures flash.

I'm not sure what it is but the game still feels very stale. I'm looking into how to improve that. I'm also gonna try to make the 'miniboss' above to be more of an event instead of a random monster sitting there. Having the door closed behind you type of thing.

Another thing I've worked on is portraits, or rather portrait.

The idea is that you can scan monsters, and that you will get a close up + information. I might work on that next actually, because constantly working on the dungeon is really getting to me. I just can't come up with anything to add and that's quite frustrating.

I haven't checked here for a while and your progress looks really good. How does the digging work? can you only dig one hole down, or will you be able to dig up the whole planet?
If you look at the gif you can see there's some white on the planet. It's supposed to be lose sand and on those parts you can dig. Or rather will digging have effect, as you see in the gif.

I don't know if you know that, but having controls with "z" and "c" is really bad for people with a german (and a lot of other languages) keyboard layout, because the letters are so far apart.
I'll add keybinding anyway so that won't be a problem  Smiley

ReFreezed
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2016, 10:13:51 AM »

This game looks really cool so far. Very unique. Seriously, would love to play a demo of this.

I'm making a game. It's currently on Steam: Momento Temporis: Light from the Deep
Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2016, 05:32:09 AM »

Soo.. it's been a while since my last update (again), but I'm back (again).

I've continued working on the dungeon.

A tentacle that is actually a monster. You need to kill the monster to kill the tentacle. I also added walls you can climb on.

I wanted to add hidden rooms, but using a "broken" tile made it very obvious. I ended up with a fly in the room. If there's a fly it means that there is a connected hidden room somewhere.

I'm also gonna try to make the 'miniboss' above to be more of an event instead of a random monster sitting there. Having the door closed behind you type of thing.

Hopefully the next update won't take another 2 months.

PixzleOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2016, 06:09:50 AM »

Remember seeing this a while back, I think it looks very cool.
Really looking forward to see future progress! Smiley

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2016, 07:36:32 AM »

I really like the fly idea. I hope I forget about it by the time I play the game so I can get surprised by it ;P

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2016, 07:04:24 AM »

Added water and lava!

Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2016, 04:16:37 AM »

** Happy 1 year anniversary to this project **

So exactly one year ago I made a folder called Space and started working on this game. It's the first time I've worked on a game for longer than a year.

Let's take a look at some data.

116 text files (Excluding libraries)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Language                     files          blank        comment           code
Lua                            116           2403            717           8136

TODO: 53 tasks (8/61 done, 13%)

Commits: 56 (I suck at committing frequently)

So 1 year working on this thing and still no demo huh? It turns out I'm the George R.R. Martin of gamedevelopment in terms of speed. But Owlboy took 9 years to make so no hurry, right?

Here are some of the goals for this year:
  • Finish the first dungeon.
  • Write out the story or at least have some idea of what the main plot is going to be.
  • Try to devlog more frequent.
  • Have a working demo.

But first, I'm going to do a big code cleanup. Right now I'm catching myself doing a lot of hacky stuff, and if I keep doing that sooner or later everything will fall apart.

Onto another year!

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2016, 10:21:13 AM »

Do things at your own pace!
You are managing lots of details and depth using only two colors. I liked the game from the moment I first saw it, so, at least for me, you are on the right track!

Onto next year!

lobstersteve
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2016, 05:56:52 AM »

Congrats Smiley
Yeah, don't rush anything. Working on it when you feel like it should be the way to go, if that's your hobby Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic