Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:58:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Creativenew around here...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: new around here...  (Read 2553 times)
Randy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 24, 2009, 11:34:17 AM »

Hello tigsource

My name is Randy and I've been following the main page and playing all the wonderful indie games that get posted there for some time and have finally decided to get off my duff and try some game making myself.  That, of course, requires some learn'n first.

I went and got a copy of Game Maker and I'm currently going though the tutorials from the site but then I got a head of myself and looked at some of the tutorials here and some examples too.  I see that right away people don't use the "drag and drop" system they have set up in Game Maker.  Code seems to be the language of choice.  So my question is this?  Am I wasting my time learning the drag and drop system?  Will I be limiting my games or what I can do with them? Is the Game Maker code easier to learn after I know more about the drag and drop method?

Sorry about all the questions...  the code just caught me off guard.  See, I'm an artist/animator by trade (heck, I already work in the games industry) and I know beans about any kind of code.  I'm so not code minded  Epileptic  So yeah... just want to make sure that I'm not setting myself for a fall when I get to the end of the tutorial and find out that I should have been leaning the code all along.

Thank you ^_^
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 12:27:37 PM »

Hello there Randy, welcome to Tigsoource Smiley

As for your question it is my understanding that the drag and drop interface, I think that it is best to stick with whatever you are comfortable with at first and then slowly try to work your way into using GML (Game Maker Language).

Personally, I still use the drag and drop because I am still a GM noob. However, the faster you learn GML the more things you can do, so yes, you are limited by the drag and drop interface somewhat.

Anyways, I hope you figure it out....oh, and you might want to post an introduction here Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 12:32:43 PM »

Game Maker's drag and drop system is limited but you can still make pretty good games with it. Many of Mr. Chubigans' games, as well as games like Seiklus, are largely or entirely done in drag and drop.

I don't actually know if it's best not to use drag and drop at first and go right to code, I've never used drag and drop for anything myself in Game Maker, I've only used code in it. So I don't know what to advise you do.

Even if you make games primarily through drag and drop, you'll eventually come across something that can only be done through code. Game Maker has a lot of functionality, and much of that functionality is only accessible through code.

But yes, the vast majority of good Game Maker games do not use drag and drop, although a few very good ones do.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 12:39:15 PM »

I would suggest doing the tutorials with the drag and drop, because these give you an idea of coding, and setting variables and all that. but you are definetly going to want to learn GML. so once you understand how the game works I suggest taking up GML. another thing that is nice if you go on the gamemaker website they have a wiki which explains every GML, and there are spots on the net that basically break down every drag and drop into gml. basically think of it like this.

if your building a peice of furniture, your drag and drops are your saw, hammer, and nails. but when you start using GML, now you have different saw types, and all the crazy tools that lowe's is just filled with it. it is possible to make a game with the drag and drop, but GML allows you to be more intricate.

also do not make a 50 hour MMO in 3D as your first game. start small. try and make a version of pong, with your own twist or something like that.

Randy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 03:57:50 AM »

Hello there Randy, welcome to Tigsoource Smiley

As for your question it is my understanding that the drag and drop interface, I think that it is best to stick with whatever you are comfortable with at first and then slowly try to work your way into using GML (Game Maker Language).

Personally, I still use the drag and drop because I am still a GM noob. However, the faster you learn GML the more things you can do, so yes, you are limited by the drag and drop interface somewhat.

Anyways, I hope you figure it out....oh, and you might want to post an introduction here Smiley

Thanks for the link.  I was looking for an obligatory introduction thread ^_^

I hope I figure it out too.  I don't think like a programmer and so I find that when I try to learn code my mind starts to wander.  I really sucks.

Thanks again.
Randy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 03:59:50 AM »

Game Maker's drag and drop system is limited but you can still make pretty good games with it. Many of Mr. Chubigans' games, as well as games like Seiklus, are largely or entirely done in drag and drop.

I don't actually know if it's best not to use drag and drop at first and go right to code, I've never used drag and drop for anything myself in Game Maker, I've only used code in it. So I don't know what to advise you do.

Even if you make games primarily through drag and drop, you'll eventually come across something that can only be done through code. Game Maker has a lot of functionality, and much of that functionality is only accessible through code.

But yes, the vast majority of good Game Maker games do not use drag and drop, although a few very good ones do.

Well, I'm glad to know that there are others using the drag and drop method.  That makes me fell better.  To be honest, the code does scare me a bit, but I'll learn what I can (or ask for help ^_^).  I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.
Randy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 04:02:06 AM »

I would suggest doing the tutorials with the drag and drop, because these give you an idea of coding, and setting variables and all that. but you are definetly going to want to learn GML. so once you understand how the game works I suggest taking up GML. another thing that is nice if you go on the gamemaker website they have a wiki which explains every GML, and there are spots on the net that basically break down every drag and drop into gml. basically think of it like this.

if your building a peice of furniture, your drag and drops are your saw, hammer, and nails. but when you start using GML, now you have different saw types, and all the crazy tools that lowe's is just filled with it. it is possible to make a game with the drag and drop, but GML allows you to be more intricate.

also do not make a 50 hour MMO in 3D as your first game. start small. try and make a version of pong, with your own twist or something like that.

Wow, that's a great way to explain the code vs drag and drop to an art head like me.  Thanks ^_^

Oh, and my first idea should be a simple one.  At least it's simple in my head.  We'll soon see.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 08:07:46 PM »

You could also try Construct, too. The games I've made in that use no code at all. It's still in beta, though.

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 02:37:51 AM »

You could also try Construct, too. The games I've made in that use no code at all. It's still in beta, though.

Yes, I second this. It takes a different approach at things than Game Maker, but once you got behind it, it's ultimately easier to manage without coding anything.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic