Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 01:55:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCoeur Du Chevalier
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Coeur Du Chevalier  (Read 1502 times)
SpaceGoat
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2016, 03:18:40 AM »

Hey everyone,

I thought i'd share a little something that I am working on in my quest to learn game design and code.

I've got a little help with Dawid W, Mika on sound design for me a Canadian lad named Aplherior doing some animation work for me.
This will be a part time project as I am a busy art/media teacher and a new father so time is pretty precious at the moment.

Coeur Du Chevalier
Which translated in the French, is Heart of the Knight.

The game is set in the 14th century medieval France, loosely based around the hundred years war, French was the main language of the time in England as to why the title is as well.
Game Overview:
The main character is a member of a lowly house attached to a force that is laying siege to a castle somewhere in medieval France. After his lord is taken out and nursing a wounded ego, it is up to him to make his house proud and maybe elevate himself in the eyes of the other lords and knights.
He grabs a rusty sword and buckler and heads towards the castle without a clue what he is supposed to do beyond survive the day.

Game information:

Created with Gamemaker Studio: Pro and Photoshop
The game is best played with an Xbox controller or keyboard and mouse.

Game Aesthetics:

Coeur Du Chevalier is a game designed in the style of pixel art, flat blocks of colour with no outlines….
The settings for each levels will be medieval France, wood, mud and grass, lots of greens and browns with fog at the edges, ready to envelop the player. The castles will be from small holds to large, many layered fortresses nestled on hill tops, lakes and in towns and villages.

Elements of gameplay:

The games core is about combat with a sense of realism, with a combat system and fighting style that resembles HEMA and re-enactment fighting. No arcade like attacks and slashes with big swords here. One on one combat.
The game is created with a physics engine with siege weapons/carts and other objects can be pushed towards enemy and used as cover.
The game is perma death with no saving.

Game Mechanics:

Goal or finish of level:

Break down the defences of the castle and occupy the main hall.

What is in the way of the goal?

Knights will roam and attack the player inside and out of the castle and its walls.
Archers will loose arrows at the player from the castle walls
The castle will have layers of defence: outer walls, fortified gates and doors. Siege defences such as hot oil and rocks and such may be added later possibly.

What is there to help the player reach the goal?

Weapons and armour can be picked up along the way.
Siege weaponry can be learnt and utilised such as rams can be pushed, trebuchets need to be learnt in later levels
AI friendly forces are on the field as well to help with siege weaponry – it will be up to the player to force the game status to develop though.

A draft of some music:

https://soundcloud.com/dawidwmika/siege-theme-for-coeur-du-chavalier-work-in-progress

art!

The main character:

A mock up of what some of it will look like: (ignore the really bad castle)

Early animation:

An enemy Knight:

A little bit of running:

That's it for now
Andrew.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:02:17 PM by SpaceGoat » Logged
SpaceGoat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 03:23:07 AM »

Also Yes, I forgot to mention that I have a first draft that is working somewhat well that some new animation is needed to be plugged into.

It has health, death and enemies life and combat that need the kinks sorted out once the new animation go in.

I'll post a dropbox link once I update it. 
SpaceGoat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 01:26:04 AM »

A run animation!
BigHandInSky
Level 0

MINIMAL-ISE EVERYTHING

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 01:47:31 AM »

Neat idea - loving the pixel and animation you have so far, look forward to seeing the combat!

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 01:58:32 AM »

Nice concept, good luck!
Are you actually a french speaker? As the name of the game sounds quite weird in french (even if correct), it reminds me more of a cheese name than something epic (yes, here in France a lot of things make us think of cheese...).

SpaceGoat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 03:50:39 AM »

Fenrir- Sorry man, I'm not versed with it, I got the idea to use French from being a member of a 14th century re enactment group where French was the main language in England at the time...If you have a much more, un cheese like phrasing, I would love to hear it as I do want to keep elements of story, themes and setting close to real as possible.

- Thankyou Big hand, I'm looking forward to it too!
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 10:11:03 AM »

i think it's because coeur de lion is a well-known camembert(french cheese) and the logo is epic.

the enemy knight looks cool, eager to see it animated.
good luck on this project!
SpaceGoat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 01:03:16 AM »

Thanks, Bakkusa!I think I have my logo for the game sorted. though I am more of a fan of more crumblier cheese myself, maybe with a little cracked pepper in it too.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic