Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:22:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHiraeth - Thank you for your support
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Hiraeth - Thank you for your support  (Read 18468 times)
BeardTopher
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2016, 03:23:20 AM »

Hey everyone.
We have some exciting announcements coming in the next few months. However for now we are discontinuing the devlog in order to rebrand and start afresh. We want to thank everyone that followed us, messaged or dropped by; this community is amazing.
Thanks again, see you around the forums <3

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:02:15 AM by BeardTopher » Logged

Mr Bazooka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 03:59:17 AM »

This looks promising. I'm following this.

You said you're working on this fulltime, do you have any funding?

Keep up the good work!
BeardTopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 04:11:17 AM »

Cheers Smiley, we are pretty excited to see where it goes.

We actually spent a bunch of our budget on a larger game prototype (which we really really love) but we made the hard decision to put it on the backburner while we finish something smaller in scope.

So funded for the next few months and after that we will have to see where we are at. Shrug

Mr Bazooka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 04:16:21 AM »

Awesome, then good luck for the next few months!
Catghost
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 07:35:45 PM »

love love love those mockups, can't wait to see how this project progresses!
Oli414
Level 0

This text is too personal for you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 02:01:53 AM »

This looks really cool.
Wouldn't the controls be a bit overwhelming? It looks like there are a ton of moves you can do, I can't wait to see how this'll look in the end.

Tuludo Demo - The online game creator without limits! - Devblog
Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 02:15:59 AM »

This looks really cool.
Wouldn't the controls be a bit overwhelming? It looks like there are a ton of moves you can do, I can't wait to see how this'll look in the end.

I imagine if the player was expected to know all the controls from the first few levels, then absolutely it would be overwhelming. But slowly, carefully teaching each technique over the course of a few hours of gameplay would be quite manageable. Platformers are released all the time, so a rich set of movement abilities could really be helpful for giving the gameplay depth.

Autoscroller levels tend to get a bad rap in platformers, have you considered letting the camera move at the player's pace? This would also open up the game to speed-runners, who tend to love these games that focus on freedom of movement.

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 02:17:20 AM »

Good luck with this project, it's really promising!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 02:45:44 AM »

Looks very nice, tho killing enemies is the least the word hiraeth makes me think of. Huh? Expected some highly emotional super indie experience. Are you quite sure about this name?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 02:51:28 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

migs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 06:33:36 AM »

Hey everyone; thank you heaps for the kind words and questions, I'll answer what I can!

This looks really cool.
Thank you! Yes, we're aiming to give the player a large amount of control and tools to help them move through levels. Like Cranktrain said, we will introduce these out to the player somewhat gradually, but the main gating mechanism will be the skill of player. There won't be moves that are 'unlocked' but rather the need to be 'good' with the controls will be what changes. Forgiving at first and becoming more difficult in later levels. Hopefully if we can nail that, the controls will end up feeling organic and present options rather than feel like a burden.

Autoscroller levels tend to get a bad rap in platformers, have you considered letting the camera move at the player's pace?
We have definitely considered it, many many pro/con lists were written. So far though we've ended up basing the core design and story around the fact that the camera dictates the speed. The challenge will be in perfecting use of the controls and will hopefully allow us to really fine tune the levels to tie in with music.  Ultimately we want to ride the line between frustrating and rewarding, but we won't know how far off that we are until we've got more of a working prototype together.

Looks very nice, tho killing enemies is the least the word hiraeth makes me think of. Huh? Expected some highly emotional super indie experience. Are you quite sure about this name?
Thank you! We're hoping to make something that is as much an experience as it is a game. The title is pretty heavily entwined with the story; we're still working out how to deliver that organically and how much to leave to interpretation. The game and story is not so much about killing enemies, they are more of an obstacle, but rather the premise of restoring a lost world to the home it once was.

Thanks again  Toast Right

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 07:20:41 AM »

I already said this on the mockup thread: this is very cool! So I'm following it!
But I think that the jump should be in one of the right buttons (A or B).

BeardTopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 07:45:25 AM »

Thanks everyone Smiley

But I think that the jump should be in one of the right buttons (A or B).

Yeah the controls at the moment are just what felt natural because of both sticks being used in the movement. I'm sure this will need to be addressed; as even Megs and I originally wanted it as A to begin with. Remapping definitely on the cards though so shouldn't be a huge issue.

DevDennis
Level 0

Button Pusher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 12:29:53 PM »

This looks promising Smiley

Dennis - co-founder of 2nd Studio
Tumblr - Twitter - Facebook - Twitch
migs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 12:04:33 AM »

Hey gang! Cheers again for the kind words; we're pretty green to this devlog business and are finding the feedback to be a great motivator.

We've been working on some rough level/palette designs, trying to get together some concepts that we like and think will work well mechanically. The feint wind lines are there to subtly indicate which direction the level will progress.

Our aim is to create a unique feel for each level, with different themes also lending to varying levels of difficulty. For example the crystal level would require a higher understanding of the controls, with tighter spaces requiring more precise input and use of magic to stay within the screen bounds.

We've also been working on completing the player controller. The functionality is mostly there but we will still need to tweak this a lot as we bring in a new character model and test it with a new rig and cloth setup. Please excuse the artifacting and size of the gif; we're still trying to figure out the best way to present these. If anyone has any suggestions there it would be much appreciated!

We have walk, run, slide, jump, wall jump, falling and general left stick movement. Also have been implementing a dynamic grass shader as well as setting up a terrain workflow. Very WIP at the moment.

New character designs are in the works and we hope to have more to show soon.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:37:09 PM by migs » Logged

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 10:33:09 AM »

Those designs you recently posted feel so fresh!

migs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 11:45:50 AM »

Thank you!  Toast Right

BeardTopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 10:25:57 PM »

Cheers, we hope to do a bunch more of these biome little feel pieces as we develop.

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 11:51:39 AM »

Love the colour palettes in each environment, and the fluidity of the cape as your protagonist moves around, can't wait to see more!

Sam Oz
Level 0

French composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 05:38:29 AM »

The design reminds me of The Journey (a very good reference)!
continue on this path, it is really very good  Wink

Composer and sound designer

Soundcloud
Twitter
Facebook
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 05:48:30 AM »

Take control of a robed figure and run, jump, float and dash your way through the universe as you defy your 'creator'.

I LOVE the idea of this. Really interested in how the exploration will help and later unfold this story of sorts.

As previously stated before, gorgeous stuff!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic