Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:49:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHiraeth - Thank you for your support
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Hiraeth - Thank you for your support  (Read 16757 times)
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2016, 02:31:41 AM »

I love the palettes here and I adore the concept of a platformer from such a zoomed out perspective. I was hoping you could give an overview of your grass shader? It works phenomenally well!

BeardTopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2016, 03:40:21 AM »

I love the palettes here and I adore the concept of a platformer from such a zoomed out perspective. I was hoping you could give an overview of your grass shader? It works phenomenally well!

Hey JctWood, thanks man!
As I said to boogie before it is simplified version of Lars Bertram's terrain and foliage shaders. We purchased his package for a previous project. I am not a great shader programmer but know enough to make trouble haha. We wanted a really quick and simple version so I stripped some of the texture and PBS features for simpler rendering.

Basically the players have a script on them that keeps track of velocity and direction. The grass/tree/whatever has a trigger zone (or you could do a distance check or whatever) that switches from the idle material (blowing in wind) to the interactive material. The interactive material uses the player values to perform the bend.

In essence both shaders perform a vertex modifier function to animate/move the vertices. Ours uses vertex colors to determine how influenced they are).

Hope that clears it up a bit Smiley

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2016, 04:34:12 AM »

Thanks for the explanation and sorry I missed your previous answer. Looking forward to the next update!

boogie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2016, 09:54:23 AM »

@JctWood checkout this thread:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/shader-setglobalvector.5785/

I thought of the same approach, painting vertices in vertex color to determine how much they should bend. The only problem is that i don't use textures in my game, i just paint the models with vertex color and as far as i know i can set only one vertex color per vertex. I think i can use uvs for that.

BeardTopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2016, 10:07:09 AM »

Could also use vertex alpha?

boogie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2016, 10:13:15 AM »

Good idea, but i did reaaaaally quick research and it says you cannot set alpha channel for vertex color in Blender :/ I will look into it later

BeardTopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2016, 04:05:22 AM »

Good idea, but i did reaaaaally quick research and it says you cannot set alpha channel for vertex color in Blender :/ I will look into it later
Worst comes to worst use an in-editor tool if you can't find a blender add-on.

Hiraeth is 2 weeks old today! That went way too quickly.

Here is the first pass at the watery theme we concepted:

Currently we are
  • Animating and modelling other chars
  • Setting up our website
  • Working on the camera system (zooms and speed up/slow down)
  • Planning out how to make a quick timeline/event system

Hope everyone's weekend was awesome.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:08:32 AM by BeardTopher » Logged

migs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2016, 09:42:59 AM »

Hey gang,

Our game has a logo!  Hand Metal Left No No NO Hand Metal Right
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:38:17 PM by migs » Logged

Sam Oz
Level 0

French composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2016, 10:30:51 AM »

Very nice ! Simple but extremely effective I find  Wink
Despite its streamlined appearance, the game exudes something unique!

Good work  Gentleman

Composer and sound designer

Soundcloud
Twitter
Facebook
BeardTopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2016, 11:01:16 AM »

Very nice ! Simple but extremely effective I find  Wink
Despite its streamlined appearance, the game exudes something unique!

Good work  Gentleman
Aww thanks so much man. We are still not quite happy with the visuals yet but they are getting there haha.

So we finished the crystals and shader this morning so we replaced the box prefabs we had with pretty shiny bling things. Here is me failing at one of the slower sections:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:08:42 AM by BeardTopher » Logged

migs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »

Hey gang!
Just a quick update on our absence. Our internet got capped a few days ago; we're from Australia so our already shit internet is running at a late 90's/dial up speed equivalent (50-250 kbps). One of our tablets broke as well, I want to tell you we gave it a viking style funeral but really we just got sad and drank cheap wine in its honor. RIP Intuos 4. 
We've been pretty busy though
  • Getting some new levels together.
  • Got the first new character modeled, skinned and almost animated (~4000 frames!). These animations can be shared with new characters so that should speed up adding in characters in the future.
  • Fixed a hellish problem with the character controller/animations that was bugging out in Unity.
  • A few more characters are already in the works; one almost finished, another 2 in progress.
  • Cleaning out the prototype code and reorganizing the project in general.

We also bulk cooked a months worth of cheap meals, so we will pretty much be living at the computer screen from here on out. Our internet resets tomorrow so we should have some more pictures and an up-to-date social media soon.
Cheers all, have a great night!

JindrichP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2016, 11:59:14 AM »

Your inspiration by Journey is really out there! It is nice. Are you going to include some sort of story?

Currently working on Xenofil
SimonFelix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2016, 02:34:18 PM »

Really impressed with the visuals and gameplay snippets so far!

BeardTopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2016, 11:19:36 PM »

Your inspiration by Journey is really out there! It is nice. Are you going to include some sort of story?
Yeah Journey was a big influence on the movement style and feel. We have some story elements in the design, mostly wordless and inferred so players can take what they want from it.

Really impressed with the visuals and gameplay snippets so far!
Thanks Simon! Beer!

migs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2016, 11:35:45 AM »

Hey gang!
We just spent a ludicrous amount of time playing around before capturing these gifs. Good times.

Multiplayer is functional! Complete with the new green character, dash rotations, stuns, new animations, screen shake and multiple controller support. We're feeling happy with how fun the interactions are; even on a stationary portion of level the engagement and challenge we're striving for is starting to come through. Here's a couple more clips of us playing around.

We still have a fair amount to add in terms of polish: a more defined collision, as well as various particles/effects etc to make things more readable.
On the side we've also got 2 new characters (Blue and Pink) modeled and ready to bring into the Unity project. Also have been working on some new level stuff which we hope to capture soon!
Cheers all  Beer!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:38:33 PM by migs » Logged

jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2016, 12:10:23 PM »

Multiplayer is functional! Complete with the new green character, dash rotations, stuns, new animations, screen shake and multiple controller support. We're feeling happy with how fun the interactions are; even on a stationary portion of level the engagement and challenge we're striving for is starting to come through. Here's a couple more clips of us playing around.

I've got to say, multiplayer makes this look infinitely more fun. Nice to see some new characters too. Keep up the great work!

Composer & Sound Designer
www.jordanchinmusic.com
hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2016, 12:25:09 PM »

This looks really cool! It definitely seems like one of those games that is just fun to control.

Tanner Fruit Fly
Level 0

Tanner sticks the pen up his nose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2016, 12:51:30 PM »

This looks absolutely stunning! You're definitely sticking true to your inspiration, but I see a great deal of fun, mechanical gameplay happening alongside it and altogether it's really working! I'll be following this game closely, for sure! Also:

This feels so good it hurts.

[Check out the "This Is Jim" book on Gumroad! Head over to my devlog for a discounted promo code Wink]
migs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2016, 03:31:49 AM »

Thank you so much for the kind words, it's super motivating to hear we're heading in the right direction! You guys are awesome.
Here's a little preview of the Pink and Blue characters, just a quick screengrab of the models. Tonight we're working on bringing them into Unity and getting one of the new levels to a playable stage for more gifs.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:38:59 PM by migs » Logged

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2016, 04:41:00 AM »

Man, this game is progressing beautifully! Quick question - how will multiplayer work? Will there be multiple themes (racing, capture the flag, a type of 'tag')?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic