Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 10:59:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHiraeth - Thank you for your support
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Hiraeth - Thank you for your support  (Read 18449 times)
migs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2016, 01:45:31 AM »

Haha! "meetings" aw I miss our towerfall "meetings" that we had here on a weekendly basis.. it's been too long. Awesome though, local coop gets me very giddy.
We're big local multiplayer fans..updates have been somewhat delayed by some particularly intense "meetings" before we bunker down for the next few weeks.

Ahhh the creator model is looking goood! Really good, I love how mysterious they look and how they're somewhat blended into the background, which adds to it a bit (unless that isn't intentional I'm considering that the dark background may be for displaying purposes, haha). And I'm excited to hear about its prospects for coop stuff! Such excite
Thanks heaps! The dark background is intentional; we're working towards a trailer and found the fade-in and contrast to the players helped the ominous feel we're going for.

We have the almost finished yellow character in! We've also updated the models to have particles and shields show in their colour to help differentiate when there's 3-4 players on the screen. We're working on some new levels and plan to have some 4-player testing with our housemates tomorrow. There's still a lot of work to do but we're aim to get a trailer together soon and perhaps put the project on the Steam Concepts page.
Cheers for following along - we appreciate the support  Beer!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:40:04 PM by migs » Logged

BeardTopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2016, 11:13:44 AM »

Meg's forgot to ask, how do people feel about the color coded orbs?

We felt it is more readable when there are multiple players on the screen however it has lost a little of the charm and magicness. Were the individual white orbs too hard to read in the previous gifs? Or are we over thinking it  WTF

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2016, 11:24:48 AM »

tracking

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
SimonFelix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2016, 11:34:31 AM »

Looks great! I would make the characters pop out a bit more against the darkness though Smiley

elisof
Level 0

you can call me eli though hi hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2016, 11:45:05 AM »

Meg's forgot to ask, how do people feel about the color coded orbs? We felt it is more readable when there are multiple players on the screen however it has lost a little of the charm and magicness. Were the individual white orbs too hard to read in the previous gifs? Or are we over thinking it  WTF

Comparing the gifs, I personally quite like the look of the white orbs, aesthetically, and it might add to the challenge of multiplayer/coop in general? Or maybe slightly brightening up the player's colours just a bit instead of coloured orbs? Possibly? Hmm Shrug

I compose and design sound~
SoundCloud // Bandcamp // Twitter // Avatar by the rad Sarah Graley~
hexdie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2016, 12:03:08 PM »

This looks great! I really dig the aesthetic. I also love both Dustforce and Journey, so this is right up my alley.

jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2016, 12:18:08 PM »

Meg's forgot to ask, how do people feel about the color coded orbs?

We felt it is more readable when there are multiple players on the screen however it has lost a little of the charm and magicness. Were the individual white orbs too hard to read in the previous gifs? Or are we over thinking it  WTF

As much as I like how the white orbs pop against the background, I think I would get confused during multiplayer if my orb wasn't tinted at least a little to the clothes color.

Composer & Sound Designer
www.jordanchinmusic.com
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2016, 06:32:53 PM »

Looks very cool - since you mention the heavy emphasis on art, music, etc - do you have any sound samples yet? I'm curious to hear what you've got going and how it fits in with the art/gameplay.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
BeardTopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2016, 12:11:16 PM »

tracking
Beer!

Looks great! I would make the characters pop out a bit more against the darkness though Smiley
Yeah its a constant battle at the moment getting it visible but still ominous Tired.

Comparing the gifs, I personally quite like the look of the white orbs, aesthetically, and it might add to the challenge of multiplayer/coop in general? Or maybe slightly brightening up the player's colours just a bit instead of coloured orbs? Possibly? Hmm Shrug
Yeah we are not sure what to do *sigh* We need to make sure the characters are readable/pretty on all the different levels. I think we are going with the colored orbs for now and will re-evaluate during alpha testing.

As much as I like how the white orbs pop against the background, I think I would get confused during multiplayer if my orb wasn't tinted at least a little to the clothes color.
Yeah stupid orbs. Especially as you lose "energy", you need to keep track of it closely hey. The white was so clean though  Cry. Guess we will just have to make a new white character hehe.

Looks very cool - since you mention the heavy emphasis on art, music, etc - do you have any sound samples yet? I'm curious to hear what you've got going and how it fits in with the art/gameplay.
We will be announcing music stuff soonish. As for effects/environment sound we are handling it ourselves (mostly due to budget reasons).

Ok so we had a hectic few days.
  • We have 2 new level areas almost ready
  • Got the yellow guy finalized (as meg showed)
  • The creator is rigged
  • We have the level win conditions and props (a cool stone portal thingy) doneish

Had some fun writing my own simple Boids behavior yesterday. So these are our little boid-lings. Our niece calls them skyfishes hehe:

We also finished the first of the enemy classes, yay! This one is just a simple 4 shot thingy.
Here is the first(and easiest) of the many enemy/hazardy things we want to do:

They respawn more arrows if you don't kill the hub bits. They still need particles and stuff but they are pretty fun to kill haha.

This weekend we will finish another enemy or 2  Well, hello there! so there will be lots of ways to get stunned/slowed down/smashed out of the screen.

Hope everyone has an awesome night.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:10:01 AM by BeardTopher » Logged

migs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2016, 09:14:05 AM »

Haven't managed to merge our two project files yet, so in lieu of a fancy gif, here's a screenshot from one of the new levels. That platform is designed purely for sliding; my inner Tony Hawk fan is applauding.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:40:28 PM by migs » Logged

jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2016, 11:29:31 AM »

We also finished the first of the enemy classes, yay! This one is just a simple 4 shot thingy.
Here is the first(and easiest) of the many enemy/hazardy things we want to do:

These looks great against the nighttime background. The enemy design is clever too. Looking forward to seeing more of them! Will the creator be trying to knock you off the screen while you fight these guys?

www.jordanchinmusic.com
migs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2016, 12:11:03 PM »

These looks great against the nighttime background. The enemy design is clever too. Looking forward to seeing more of them! Will the creator be trying to knock you off the screen while you fight these guys?
Cheers Jordan! Not directly but in a way yes. We're trying to design the enemies as more of a hindrance that will lead to you getting stunned and thus falling off the screen. They're essentially an obstacle placed by the creator to stop you.

On a related note we have a new enemy. 'Touch fuzzy get heavy'! After spawning these guys find a random position and wait, if the player comes within a certain radius they head for you. You can dash through them to destroy them but if hit each enemy adds to your weight making you move slower. The only way to get rid of them is by flashing your shield, adding a bit more challenge as the player is only given a certain amount of shield time to last the length of the level.

Still haven't quite sorted our project-merging issues; when Chris blocks me I make new characters so expect to see the red guy in the next few days. Chris is working on polishing up levels as well as getting some other scenes together so we can record some footage soon.

Have a great night all, it's 4am here we're off to bed  Yawn
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:40:44 PM by migs » Logged

BeardTopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2016, 10:08:57 AM »

Megs made the red thing today cause I was too sidetracked to get the update in her project file Shrug

Still working on the end of level portal thingy but here are the first pass on the visuals. Basically if you don't get all 9 relics(tris) the beacon doesn't light and you don't "complete" the level:

Beer time!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:10:17 AM by BeardTopher » Logged

BeardTopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2016, 08:51:41 AM »

More quick concepty stuff while I did a backup.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:10:22 AM by BeardTopher » Logged

jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2016, 10:12:13 AM »

More quick concepty stuff while I did a backup.

YESSS! Coolest concept art.

www.jordanchinmusic.com
elisof
Level 0

you can call me eli though hi hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2016, 12:42:37 PM »

^^ Yeee seconded, I'm all about those concepts. And I really like both the end of level portal idea and the enemy designs, too. Great updates all around, basically, haha. I look forward to hearing more details about music, as well, I think someone mentioned about that earlier. I'm intrigued to know what you have in mind on that front, or who you're working with, etc

Also yeah I totally get that, re. the orb colours, especially if they're going to be used for keeping in track, getting that balance and all >.< I am liking how the subtle orb colour, though, it's got enough colour to see where you are, but not too much, at least from what I can see through the gifs.

I compose and design sound~
SoundCloud // Bandcamp // Twitter // Avatar by the rad Sarah Graley~
BeTeslohan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2016, 02:35:13 PM »

Wow, this is very promising! If you remember to ping me when the Kickstarter is up I'll be sure to back it. : )

BeardTopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2016, 09:12:59 AM »

YESSS! Coolest concept art.
Hehe Embarrassed

^^ Yeee seconded, I'm all about those concepts. And I really like both the end of level portal idea and the enemy designs, too. Great updates all around, basically, haha. I look forward to hearing more details about music, as well, I think someone mentioned about that earlier. I'm intrigued to know what you have in mind on that front, or who you're working with, etc

Also yeah I totally get that, re. the orb colours, especially if they're going to be used for keeping in track, getting that balance and all >.< I am liking how the subtle orb colour, though, it's got enough colour to see where you are, but not too much, at least from what I can see through the gifs.
Aww Cheers  Beer! We will definitely be talking about music soon we promise!
I am glad you see that we are trying to be subtle with the colours. Its such a pain to get things balanced while still readable(especially at such a small scale) Smiley

Wow, this is very promising! If you remember to ping me when the Kickstarter is up I'll be sure to back it. : )
Thanks heaps!

We are doings some capture tests for video and we caught a little cute moment where it looks like the player is watching the moon for a sec.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:10:34 AM by BeardTopher » Logged

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2016, 11:13:42 AM »

hehe, love that they stop to admire the moon, looking great guys, really loving the concept art as well!

BeardTopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2016, 12:01:55 AM »

hehe, love that they stop to admire the moon, looking great guys, really loving the concept art as well!

Thanks guys Beer! silly little cute cloth people

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic