Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:25:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMost fucked up animes and mangas ever
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Most fucked up animes and mangas ever  (Read 68878 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2007, 08:53:37 PM »

We all know odd, strange, downright fucked up animes and mangas. It just seems like the oriental artists have more liberties to show the whole world just how batshit loco their brains have become. At least that's the feeling I get from watching them.

So, I want the animes and mangas that have made the most creepy/weird impact on you.

To kickstart it:

End of Evangelion. Movie that shows the alternative ending to the Evangelion series. It's plain shit crazy, I tell you.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 09:09:42 PM »

Umm,
Elfen Lied is a pretty obvious one.

There's also that show that was aired on a children's channel, where it was super-happy at the beginning, and the beginning and opening themes were all upbeat.
It was where this pre-teen finds some super-magical star creature, and it's all super, and then she meets a depressed other-pre-teen (also has a star creature) who's all unhappy, and she cheers her up a bunch.
Thennnnn: They meet other people with star creatures, who are training theirs to commit genocide and...
Yeah, in the end, all the main character's friends get killed or commit suicide, and the evil people all get brutally murdered by the main character's star creature while she's watching.

Really, though, the most disturbing part of that was how at the beginning of every episode there would always be the "BLAHBLAH KIDS STATION" logo.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 09:18:31 PM »

Before Kornel gets to mention it: Berserk.

There is so much death, mutilation, torture, and rape in this manga (oftentimes from monsters or demons Shocked)... but it's an amazing book.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 10:04:04 PM »

MINDGAME.
my personal favorite.
of all times.
ever.

i want to make the game equivalent of that film so bad.

also:
-FLCL
-Dead Leaves
-Cat Soup

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 11:22:38 PM »

Umm... elfen lied. It's just... It's elfen lied. I saw the whole series when I was like 10 or something, and look what I became :< Another one is higurashi.
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 12:11:38 AM »

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Fucked up for the simple reason that now no other anime seems to be able to compare. If anyone hasn't watched it yet you really should, simply the coolest style in any show, and so rediculously epic. Hunter X Hunter always struck me as a little screwed up too, I mean it's a fairly nice simple story with fun characters, and then all of a sudden there'll be a string of murders and someone will have their heart torn out of their chest. The hell?!

*Ahem* Serious vote though? Berserk does have an awful lot of rape and torture and just gets messy throughout really, but Serial Experiments Lain is definitely in their for mind warping goodness. And Puni Puni Poemy of course! If nothing else but for the classic opening song featuring such lines as 'My bunghole itches because I'm a girl!' and 'The road is endlessly long... by bike it's about 30 minutes and by bus it's 15'.

Damn, I think I've now doomed myself in terms of what I'll be watching today.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 12:51:07 AM »

Kino's Travels, one of the few animes I've truly enjoyed has some fucked up things.
The show itself has a lot to do with how fucking crazy humans can be. Example: in one episode Kino (protagonist) visits a town where there's a wacky nonsense prophecy that everyone believes in, and in the second half, she visits a town where where everyone is hopelessly depressed because someone is constantly reciting the prophecy (which it turns out is just the mad ramblings of a poet), but every 15 years or so they elect a new person to recite the poetry, so they can continue to be horribly sad..

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 03:54:46 AM »

Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue.  I got into this director because of his lovely films Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers, which are offbeat and understated films of nice touchingness.  Perfect Blue on the other hand is full of paranoid delusions and oppressive fear. And a crazy lady trying to stab a dude in the crotch with a stiletto.

(But it does have coherent ideas and themes, so maybe it doesn't qualify as 'batshit crazy'.)

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
ocarson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 05:36:11 AM »

Any Guro in general, with a special hats off to Shintaro Kago.
You can read some of his stuff on http://samehat.blogspot.com/ it's very NSFW obviously, but is rather excellent non the less.
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 09:36:12 AM »

Damn, that Shintaro Kago stuff is fantastic! The multiplication one especially... he seems to have as much fun screwing around with the concept of a comic as much as the subject. Fun guy.. if a bit of a kellogs crunchy-nut.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »

The multiplication one
Oh my god!

That was......
wow.

Wow. "OH NO THEY'RE MUTATING!"

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 11:08:42 AM »

Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue.  I got into this director because of his lovely films Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers, which are offbeat and understated films of nice touchingness.  Perfect Blue on the other hand is full of paranoid delusions and oppressive fear. And a crazy lady trying to stab a dude in the crotch with a stiletto.

(But it does have coherent ideas and themes, so maybe it doesn't qualify as 'batshit crazy'.)

This film was deeply disturbing!!  The plot is basically this:

When a young idol retires from singing to become an actress, a disgruntled security guard begins to stalk her; or so she thinks.  Her first acting role is playing a young idol who has just retired to become an actress, who is being stalked by a disgruntled security guard.  As the stress and exhaustion begin to get to her, the bodies start to pile up on screen and off...

Fucked up movie, but I highly recommend it!

PS - I had no idea this was Satoshi Kon!!  He is amazing...

cup full of magic charisma
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 11:40:53 AM »

satoshi kon is great but his latest, altho absolutely gorgeous went fucking nowhere.
loved that parade song, too.

mindgame.

MINDGAME.

I LOVE MINDGAME

Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 11:41:22 AM »

Heh, Derek beat me to mentioning Berserk Smiley

My second place would go to Neon Genesis Evangelion (along with it's movie and OVA's)

Okay, just to be constructive then, here's one really fucked up:

Serial Experiments Lain

Unfortunately no one can be told what SEL is. You have to see it for yourself xP.

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 02:12:47 PM »

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

I'll be definitely looking that up. The intro is pretty awesome.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 02:36:13 PM »

mindgame.

MINDGAME.

I LOVE MINDGAME

I concur. Mindgame is totally awesome.

Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Battle Royale yet. It's pretty violent and rapey and I think the fucked up-ness of it is multiplied by the fact that it's high school kids.

GANTZ is also a fairly violent series but I suppose it's really standard fair once you get past the blood and gore.

Um... I'm not sure if horror comics should count but Junji Ito's stuff is pretty freaky. The only manga of his that I've read is Spiral and it features a a good number of groetesque things (such as high school students turning into slug-people, mating, and then getting eaten by the remaining humans).
Lancer-X
Level 0

internet hate machine

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 02:52:48 PM »

man oh man where do I begin?

Okay, so, fucked up manga is far too easy because there's so much ridiculously messed up doujin stuff 'IT'S AWWWWWWWRIGHTT' and the like, whereas anime actually has to get past a somewhat rigid screening process.

Anyway, some people thought the Higurashi anime was messed up, but it wasn't much compared to the sound novels.

I'll just go and bring up Space Runaway Ideon, and the movie The Ideon: Be Invoked. In the latter, you see pretty much all the cast killed in various violent ways, including the little girl who gets decapitated. Finally, the Ideon blows up and destroys the entire universe. Thank you, Kill 'em All Tomino.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 03:00:42 PM »

(Images courtesy of my buddies Evan and Ryan.)

MPD Psycho!  Serial killers, yay.  Sweet covers, no?
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 03:09:42 PM »

MPD Psycho!  Serial killers, yay.  Sweet covers, no?

I've actually been debating with myself over whether to buy this or not. Is it actually any good?
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 03:18:51 PM »

those covers are amazing.

and YES, battle royale, another all time fav.
i just do not get tired of that movie.
its so awesome on so many levels.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic