Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:02:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFABULAR (successfully Kickstarted!) a 2D Action RPG with Realtime Pixelart
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: FABULAR (successfully Kickstarted!) a 2D Action RPG with Realtime Pixelart  (Read 25882 times)
Batowski
Level 0

Milan Batowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2016, 05:28:29 AM »

The cool guys over at Lax Viking games did this awesome crossover of one of our characters, the Lost Count (the one in the middle):

Here's the original concept art for Fabular:

They are building a very cute retro style RTS game that seems to be the mashup of Advance Wars and Starcraft, and I just love the character art and the color palette they are working with:

Batowski
Level 0

Milan Batowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2016, 04:59:56 PM »

Also, a timelapse video of the pixelarting extravaganza. Awesome! Hand Any Key

darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2016, 02:05:22 AM »

This isn't my usual thing, but I can't resist gorgeous 2d sprites. Looking forward to playing this. backed. Coffee 

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2016, 02:13:21 AM »

That's pretty blatantly Advance Wars Tongue

Wonder how it plays as an RTS though
Batowski
Level 0

Milan Batowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2016, 03:34:53 AM »

This isn't my usual thing, but I can't resist gorgeous 2d sprites. Looking forward to playing this. backed. Coffee 

Thanks so much!  Beer!

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2016, 10:25:44 PM »

734 backers are currently pledging £18,479 (73.9% of the £25,000 goal). 4 days are remaining. The campaign needs to raise an additional £6,521 to meet its minimum goal.

The project has been around the 15th in popularity for the video games category. It is important to try to stay in the top 20 spots. Below the 20th popularity rank, potential backers will have to click the "Load more" button to find the campaign.

Overall the project page is excellent from a graphical perspective. The animated GIFs are well done. The project thumbnail is eyecatching to me even if it is a bit dark and hard to see on mobile. The pitch video conveys what the game is and sets up the atmosphere. There has been consistent high quality project updates. The table-of-contents on the project page for the updates about locations, automations and deep space flora was very well done.

--- Part 1 - About the reward structure's performance ---

Here are graphs about the campaign so far:
http://i.imgur.com/plxjy4Q.png

The £10 tier acts like a canary-in-the-coal-mine to indicate the health of the campaign's momentum. Most backers are expected to pick the cheapest tier that offers a copy of the game. Over the last 72 hours the campaign has been gaining momentum. On May 26th the campaign came back alive around the same time it was greenlit for Steam. Before then it was seeing slowdown causing that hump shape (from less y-axis gains in backers). Tim Schafer's tweet was on June 1st.

The £7 tier was full by the 3rd day in the campaign. The campaign successfully transitioned from the £7 to the £10 tier. This is good. Many campaigns fail to survive that transition.

The £55 tier and its £45 early-bird version did well for both contributing at least $3,460 (18.7% of the current allocated amount pledged).

In general I consider less than a 75% drop in the number of backers from one tier to the next to be acceptable in the range below £100. If there is a drop of more than 75% it can indicate a problem with reward tiers up-selling. The drop in the number of backers from the £10 to the £15 tier is close to acceptable.  The £10 tier is for the game while the £15 tier adds the soundtrack. I wouldn't worry too much about that drop.

The £17 tier initially looks like a poor performing tier until seeing that it is an offer for an extra copy of the game. If the £17 tier wasn't there the rewards structure would have a significant jump from the £15 to the £25 tier. Backers are more sensitive to price increases in the low-priced tiers. The effect is similar to how mobile gamers can see a $0.99 priced game as fine and a $1.99 priced game as a significant price increase. A jump from £10 to £20 can feel larger than a jump from £110 to £120. Since the £17 tier is for an additional copy of the game it may not appeal to many backers as a potential tier to upgrade to. There is the opportunity to insert a new reward tier between £15 and £25 tier that offers something different to hopefully get some £10 or £15 tier backers to upgrade their pledges to it.

There is £3,348 in unallocated funding. That is 18.1% of the total amount raised. Unallocated funds come from backers that don't select a reward tier (unallocated backers) and the extra amounts pledged above the price of the reward tier (like shipping costs or add-on rewards). The risk of unallocated funds is that it sometimes partially inflates the funding progress of the campaign. It means a dev can receive less than expected. Shipping costs go towards shipping, not the actual development budget. Ignoring the unallocated funding the campaign is sitting at 60.5% funded (instead of 73.9%).

The £250 and £700 tiers recently received backers. Most of the largest reward tiers will see activity in the first 72 hours and the last 72 hours.

I feel some of the pricing in the reward tiers is about 10% to 20% too high compared to what other campaigns usually set, but it would be difficult to fix that this late in the campaign's run. I've seen comments on Reddit that also support that reward tiers have been a problem for people deciding to pledge or not. The lack of Linux support is a greater issue for myself as a currently Linux-only gamer. Lack of Mac support may also be hurting the campaign. It is hard for me to tell if the pay2win complaints about some rewards are harming the performance.

--- Part 2 - About the final surge ---

Fabular's campaign is scheduled to end on Jun 14th at 15:00 PDT. E3 2016 happens to be June 14th to 16th. Each year E3 has been an extremely tough time to run a Kickstarter campaign. The last half of December is potentially worse, but not by much. All the announcements, teasers, leaks and trailers from AAA gaming publishers takes priority for bloggers to cover. Unless an indie game already has presence at E3 it can be difficult to get coverage.

£6,725 more is needed to meet the £25,000 goal. I see about £1,908 more that could be expected to come from current backers upgrading their pledges near the end. That leaves a £4,817 gap. The average pledge per backer for Fabular is currently £25.18 although the unallocated funds means that value is slightly inflated. It is closer to £20.73 per backer when the unallocated funds are ignored.

At an average of £20 per backer it would take 337 more backers to cover £6,725 or 240 more backers to cover £4,817. At an average of £25 per backer it would take 269 more backers to cover £6,725 or 193 more backers to cover £4,817. For perspective, it is very possible for a Kickstarter campaign like Fabular to do around 200 backers in its last 48 hours. However, that would be at an easier time of year to run a campaign. Around E3 things get unpredictable. Remember the campaign for Shenmue 3 launched during an E3.

Even in the rough patch around E3, Fabular could still get enough backers becuase 200 additional backers is relatively a small amount. If Fabular had to do around 340 backers to reach its goal that would be more concerning. Don't give up hope. Success on Kickstarter is often about just getting close enough to your funding goal that the missing amount fills in on the final day. The Thunderclap campaign needs 32 more supporters to reach its goal.

Kicktraq shows a trend to £21,224 (84%). Kicktraq does not anticipate the final surge starting when reminder e-mails are sent out in the last 48 hours of the campaign's run. BackerTracker shows a trend to £25,561 (102.2%). Kicklytics shows £17,104 (68%). SideKick is showing a 78% success probability.

I wouldn't expect Fabular to raise much over its minimum funding goal, but it does look close enough that it should get funded. Pledge upgrading may be a significant portion of the funds. Since press coverage may be so difficult, it increases the importance of engaging with backers and focusing on social media. Making project updates becomes more important during the last few days. Fabular has already had a series of very strong updates. One of the reasons livestreaming at the end has become so popular for devs is because it can encourage more pledge upgrading.

A potential huge mistake can be to not make a project update on the final day when a campaign is still just slightly below its goal. There were campaigns that backers assumed would already be at their goal amounts, but then those campaigns failed because not enough people were around at the end to upgrade their pledges because the devs went silent. I was a backer of Alpha Colony and that campaign is scarred into my memory. That campaign missed its $50,000 goal at just $28 short. If I had been awake during the final hours someone like myself could have easily chipped in $28 more, but most of the backers didn't know the campaign was so close. Two easy assumptions were that Alpha Colony's campaign was already dead or backers that had checked in earlier in the day saw the surge and then assumed it was obviously going to reach its goal. If Fabular's campaign is getting close, then let existing backers know about it. It is okay to do multiple project updates on the last day giving status updates about how much funding is left to go.

Batowski
Level 0

Milan Batowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2016, 01:46:17 AM »

@LobsterSundew: Thanks so much, fantastic tips and analysis!  Hand Clap

TheArtistJiii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2016, 08:01:34 PM »

Could you explain the real-time pixel art aspect? Also what are you guys using to make maps?also does the world loop? Or just infinitely scrollable?

"I'm Jiii" -Jiii
Batowski
Level 0

Milan Batowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2016, 03:09:56 AM »

Could you explain the real-time pixel art aspect? Also what are you guys using to make maps?also does the world loop? Or just infinitely scrollable?

Hey! I'm writing a piece on realtime pixelart at this moment, but due to the Kickstarter mayhem I'm not sure when I can finish it. It's a long time due, but quite an extensive topic to tackle...

As for our levels, they loop infinitely in all directions. We don't have traditionally hand-built levels, we have a backdrop and foreground objects (asteroids) that are randomly generated (part of the roguelike aspect). Depending on the conditions on the level there can be wind that constantly pushes these objects around and you also have ablities to push and pull these about so the level itself becomes a bit like a sandbox, it's always changing and you have to adapt constantly.

We're using .xml files to put together the levels themselves by specifying certain layers and parameters for these. This will definitely change a lot in the future as procedural generation has not been implemented fully yet, but here's an exerpt from one of our level files:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Level xmlns="http://tempuri.org/level.xsd" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://tempuri.org/level.xsd level.xsd"

Size="8192"
>
    <Background FileName="Graphics/Scenes/Forest_Mushrooms/Forest_01_skybox.png" />

<Light
Dir="154,93"
Color="$FFCC33"
Dir2="330,100"
Color2="$E4EDE8"
AmbientColor="$24242B"
/>

<AsteroidField>
<!-- ObjectScale = (1 + Depth) * 3 -->
<Random
SetID="Forest_01_Fog"
RandSeed="3111111"
ScaleMin="3.6"
ScaleMax="3.6"
Depth="-0.2"
RotateSpeed="0"
Alpha="200"
Color="$FFFFFF"
/>

<Main
SetID="Forest_01_Active"
RandSeed="65585654"
ScaleMin="3"
ScaleMax="3"
Depth="0"
ConstantAngularVelocity="-30,30"
ConstantVelocity="0"
Alpha="255"
Color="$FFFFFF"
/>

<Random
SetID="Forest_01_LOD1"
RandSeed="6841214"
ScaleMin="6"
ScaleMax="6"
Depth="1"
RotateSpeed="-3,3"
NoRotation="false"
Alpha="255"
Color="$FFFFFF"
/>

<Random
SetID="Forest_01_Fog"
RandSeed="3975"
ScaleMin="7.5"
ScaleMax="7.5"
Depth="1.5"
RotateSpeed="0"
NoRotation="false"
Alpha="255"
Color="$FFFFFF"
/>
<Random
SetID="Forest_01_LOD2"
RandSeed="86454654"
ScaleMin="9"
ScaleMax="9"
Depth="2"
RotateSpeed="-6,6"
NoRotation="false"
Alpha="255"
Color="$FFFFFF"
/>
<Random
SetID="Forest_01_Fog"
RandSeed="4284342"
ScaleMin="13.5"
ScaleMax="13.5"
Depth="3.5"
RotateSpeed="0"
NoRotation="false"
Alpha="255"
Color="$FFFFFF"
/>
<Fixed
Depth="3.51"
Zoom="True"
>
<Model Name="OBJ_Forest.BG_Fog" Pos="0,0" Scale="13.53" />
</Fixed>
    </AsteroidField>
</Level>

To be fair we've moved on to YML from XML, but we haven't converted all of our setting files yet, so if you start out now I would definitely recommend to go for YML as it makes for much better readability, especially if you're a designer. Heres a sample YML from our ship settings file:

Code:
Player_Ladybug: 
    Class                           : Single
    BodyName                        : player_ladybug
    Model                           : Ships.Ladybug
    SpriteScale                     : 3
    BoundingSphereRadius            : 35
    HP                              : 1000
    Friction                        : 0

Engine:
        MaxSpeed                        : 500
        MaxSpeedMulSide                 : 1
        MaxSpeedMulBack                 : 1
        Thrust                          : 1200
        ThrustMulSide                   : 0.7
        ThrustMulBack                   : 0.4
        ThrustAdjustment                : 3
        ThrustLoseAboveAVPhysics        : 10
        ThrustRegainSpeed               : 1.0
        #SpeedDecreasePercent            : 0.1 #nem használt már
        #SpeedDecreaseSlerp              : 0.01 #nem használt már
        VelocityAdjustment              : 0
        BrakeSpeedSec                   : 0.5
        RotationMaxSpeedDegreesPerSec   : 1080
        RotationSlerp                   : 0.25

Power:
        Max             : 5
        RechargePerSec  : 0.25

Effects:
        BoosterBrake        : effects/booster_brake.dfx
        BoosterBrakeScale   : 1
        Die                 : effects/die_ship1.dfx
        DieScale            : 1
        Shield              : effects/energyshield1.dfx
        ShieldScale         : 0.7
        ShieldHit           : effects/energyshield_hit1.dfx
        ShieldDepleted      : effects/energyshield_deplete1.dfx

Engine:
            Side:           # main1
                Fx          : effects/engine_ladybug_main.dfx
                BoosterFx   : effects/booster_ladybug.dfx
                Scale       : 1
                Pos         : 20,1
                Rot         : 180
            Side:           # main2
                Fx          : effects/engine_ladybug_main.dfx
                Pos         : -20,1
                Rot         : 180
            Side:           # reverse1
                Fx          : effects/engine_ladybug_thruster.dfx
                Pos         : 20,-9
                Rot         : 0
            Side:           # reverse2
                Pos         : -20,-9
            Side:           # right
                Pos         : 27,-3
                Rot         : 90
            Side:           # left
                Pos         : -27,-3
                Rot         : 270

WeaponSlots:        # A WeaponSlot-ok nem töltödnek újra dinamikusan!
        Slot:
            Pos         : 0,26
            RotSlerp    : 0
            RotLimit    : 0

Feel free to ask more, and here's to the hope that I can finishing the realtime pixelart article soon!  Beer!

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2016, 11:03:26 AM »

837 backers have pledged £21,485 (85.9%). £3,515 more until 100%.

If each current backer upgraded his or her pledge by £4.20 then Fabular's campaign would be at 100%. When that number drops down to below £3.51 per backer it is very likely that pledge upgrading will get the campaign to 100%.

Here are updated graphs:
http://i.imgur.com/QaTXdjB.png

On June 7th the shape of the £10 tier shows it accelerating. Other tiers are showing more campaign momentum. The £15 tier's shape is a bit odd. It looks like backers are upgrading to the £15 tier at the same time others are upgrading from the £15 tier.

The June 11th project update announced the £7 add-on for an additional copy of the game. The unallocated funding jumped by £1,028 the same day, although it is unclear how much of that is £7 pledge upgrading.

Kicktraq is showing a trend to £22,750. BackerTracker shows £26,140. SideKick shows a 93% success probability.

There are 23 hours left before the Thunderclap campaign's deadline. It has 105 out of 100 supporters. It shows a social reach on 101,804. 50,158 connections are from Krowdster which is not specific to video game Kickstarter campaigns.

Fabular is currently ranked 7th in popularity for the category. Demoniaca: Everlasting Knight ends in 44 hours. Legend Maker ends in 19 hours. Rogues Like Us ends in 44 minutes. Copper Dreams ended yesterday. There won't be many campaigns ending around the same time as Fabular. It means less competition, but also less opportunities for cross-promotion.

In 4 hours from when I'm writing this, the automated reminders will be sent out by Kickstarter to potential backers that clicked the "Remind me" button to star the campaign. Fabular had decent visibility within Kickstarter itself, so it will hopefully have accumulated many potential backers that have been sitting-watching-on-the-fence until now.

WillyOD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2016, 09:48:22 PM »

Hey, I got my first reminder mail from Kickstarter, so your game must have caught my eye at some point Wink

The game looks fab! I'll chip in for support later tonight.
Batowski
Level 0

Milan Batowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2016, 02:13:28 AM »

Hey, I got my first reminder mail from Kickstarter, so your game must have caught my eye at some point Wink

The game looks fab! I'll chip in for support later tonight.

Thanks man, we appreciate it!  Beer!

We're so close now, need all the <3 we can get! Smiley

Last week Brian Fargo, and yesterday the coolguy streamer and Youtuber ZiggyD backed us! Feels awesome to be backed by people I watch on a daily basis or admire, it really makes the whole KS shebang worthwhile. Not to mention the love we get from friends and complete strangers as well. Quite moving... Who, Me?

Batowski
Level 0

Milan Batowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »

Good news! With a huge sprint today the project is now at 101% FUNDED with 24 hours to go!

To be honest I wasn't expecting it to happen today, not with E3, the Euros and Copa America going on (and then WWDC too Smiley. It's a very strange feeling that something you worked on for so long and in the last month so hard suddenly becomes true. When it popped over 100% I became shocked for a good half hour, just staring at the screen. Smiley Then I celebrated extravagantly with a non-alcoholic beer. Toast Left

Gonna get some sleep and prepare for the closing of the campaign tomorrow, preferably with some stretch goals opened!

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2016, 09:43:56 PM »

Congratulations on reaching 103% funded. Hopefully the campaign will reach the £27,000 stretch goal for an extended soundtrack.

1,056 backers have pledged £25,784.

Here are updated graphs:
http://i.imgur.com/PXJOIIu.png

The £10 tier shows a big spike in backers since the last 48 hours began.

Fabular is currently ranked 1st in popularity for the video games category. I'm seeing a bunch of other campaigns stalled out and a wave of campaign cancellations. Bilty analytics shows a big increase in people sharing the project's shortlink over the last 72 hours.

16 hours remain. Good luck tomorrow. A reminder is that the project page gets archived when the deadline hits, so make any final changes before then.

MekaSkull
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2016, 04:05:58 AM »

Congrats on reaching your goal  Ninja
Looking forward to more updates after the campaign completes Smiley

Twitter @MekaSkull
Cyber Shadow Devlog
indieDB
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2016, 04:21:45 AM »

Congrats man! Smiley Enjoy those last hours!

Batowski
Level 0

Milan Batowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2016, 04:41:56 AM »

Congrats on reaching your goal  Ninja
Looking forward to more updates after the campaign completes Smiley
Thank you! After I sleep for a week straight, maybe. Smiley

Congrats man! Smiley Enjoy those last hours!
Thanks! I don't think I can until it's over, but I'm trying so hard! :D

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2016, 09:29:33 PM »

Congratulations on getting funded. 1,102 backers have pledged £26,092.

Here are the final graphs for the campaign:
http://i.imgur.com/Nye7PT5.png

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2016, 12:01:43 AM »

Following! I'm glad you got founded. This game looks so stilish - I don't have money to pledge at the moment, but will surely check the game once it's out!
Good luck with everything :3

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
DigitalSun
Level 1

Making Moonlighter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2016, 09:23:59 AM »

Congrats on getting funded!  Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic